Bought/Thought for June 10th, 2009 (SPOILERS within!)

It'd be best if you did, but it's not absolutely necessary. All you need to know without reading the mini is that Jimmy Woo is the leader of the Atlas Foundation, a huge criminal empire, and he and the Agents are trying to secretly use it for good.

ASM #597 - Easily the best BND arc, and only three issues in.

Unwritten #2 - Great book, I'm loving the twisted Harry Potter feel.

Deadpool #11 - Alright, a few laughs here and there, but still not as good as the first issues, imo. If this comic doesn't get better within the next few issues, I'll probably drop it.

You are down right crazy if you haven't liked or laughed to tears over the last two Deadpool issues. Both have probably been the funniest and most fun comics to come out in a while.

There is absolutely nothing more fun to see then Bullseye and Deadpool going at each other with so many classic moments popping up in just two issues alone ... so far.

It's like the anti-Thunderbolts
Haha, I wouldn't know. I haven't been reading the Thunderbolts since the earlier concept of villains honestly trying to make it as heroes went the way of the dodo. Although, oddly, I'm enjoying the hell out of Secret Six over at DC, which has a similar formula--villains being villainous amongst even more villainous company. They just took a job from a modern-day slaver in the last issue.

You are down right crazy if you haven't liked or laughed to tears over the last two Deadpool issues. Both have probably been the funniest and most fun comics to come out in a while.

There is absolutely nothing more fun to see then Bullseye and Deadpool going at each other with so many classic moments popping up in just two issues alone ... so far.

Don't get me wrong, I laughed when Deadpool ran out the farmhouse like a mentally challenged person, or when Deadpool killed Bullseye's henchman, but it still didn't do it for me. This issue just didn't do it for me.

PET AVENGERS basically sounds like what I get out of X-MEN FIRST CLASS (and what UNCANNY X-MEN FIRST CLASS GIANT SIZE was this week), just with animals. Not my bag, but it's picking up steam. I imagine more people will read than than read X-MEN FIRST CLASS, which is also a fun read.

Yes, it does stink when LCS take some customers for granted. To play Devil's Advocate, I don't have a pull list. In my defense, I don't have one because sporadically my LCS will under-order something odd and one will have to wait a week for it (they are a chain store with two shops and they probably split orders, say they probably order 50 Captain America issues and each split it however), and if you have a pull list they usually get pissy if you decide to just hunt other shops for that one issue. The last store I had a pull list with needed 2-3 months notice to cancel anything. While I am not a pull list customer, though, at this point I am a regular. I have been going to that shop since they took over from the last manager, and even before. That's going on 2-3 years now, spending about $10-$30 a week. The clerks sometimes hang with buddies and go on CLERKS style conversations regardless of who is there; one time I walked into a masterbation conversation going to pay for my pile. Besides, what is the big deal about holding a copy?

I mean I can understand shops having a philosophy of us-vs.-them, "Marvel is being greedy giving us no time to up orders, and every mook who wants the first print and doesn't want to wait an extra 2-18 weeks for another print MUST be some heartless eBay seller and therefore don't deserve to be treated fairly, because business trumps morality. We're barely getting by, let the ****'s wrestle for our last 4 copies". Hell, I should be lucky if the shop doesn't decide to charge an extra buck or two for whatever issues they have Monday, just 'cause they're jaded over Obama Spidey's first print. What I do feel is that an industry in which the company at the top greedily ****'s over the retailer, and then the retailer wants to **** over the company to get even, with both showing borderline disregard for even loyal customers, is something that can't go on indefinitely without some dam bursting.

AGENTS OF ATLAS is a better read with the 2005 trade of the mini at your back; it's a good trade to boot, but without it, it should be readable. I don't have that experience, though.

Last edited:
I read X-Men: First Class as well, and it was definitely similar in its unabashedly feel-good tone. I doubt I'll stick around for Uncanny X-Men: First Class, though. Part of what attracted me to the first series was the original 5, since they've evolved so far beyond that now that they're practically different characters. Nightcrawler, Colossus, et al., though? They're close enough that I might as well just read a modern X-Men comic.

Yeesh, totally different experiences here, Dread. Really. They bend over backwards fer me (probably since I drop a good $70 or more a week). My only complaint is this one mope who hangs out there from open to close on Wednesday. The type that gives us comic fans a bad rep.

BTW, they got THREE stores now. I need to visit Robin at the third one of these days.

I read X-Men: First Class as well, and it was definitely similar in its unabashedly feel-good tone. I doubt I'll stick around for Uncanny X-Men: First Class, though. Part of what attracted me to the first series was the original 5, since they've evolved so far beyond that now that they're practically different characters. Nightcrawler, Colossus, et al., though? They're close enough that I might as well just read a modern X-Men comic.

I do hear you about missing the founding five. Jeff Parker really had fun with them while updating their dynamic a bit (even if Jean Grey, there, here, and everywhere, was always "token girl" and hasn't recovered as a character from that I think; Phoenix is just a big bright distraction to that dilemma). That said, Parker did go on with that line-up of the founding five X-Men for a good 30 issues of material; that's about how many issues they lost to reprints in the 70's.

The Uncanny line-up, I agree I was skeptical of it since, well, it has been done to death by Claremont et. al., but it still has some charms to it. Banshee is there, for one, and I always lamented his senseless sacrifice to Vulcan four years ago. He was always one of my Top 10 X-Men (even if not the Top 7). It may be "more like current X-Men books", only with one difference; it's FUN. The characters aren't tortured bags of misery and "wangst". No Greg Land, no M-Day, and no Claremont revisions or returns. And, well, I imagine Scott Gray will not have as dated a style of dialogue for them as Claremont did, and without a clog of "telling as the artist is showing" narration panels. I was impressed enough by this special to continue on. This was back when Nightcrawler was a fun, non-priestly swashbuckler. Before literally everyone in Colossus' emotional life was killed. Before Jean died/was replaced. Before Storm became a walking fetish for Claremont's repressed kinky side (I mean, seriously, she had her "punker borderline lesbian" moments with Yukio and quite a lot of bondage in the X-Treme era). Before Cyclops decided that killing was the first and only option for even teenagers to consider. While of course it's not the same as Angel and Iceman, I do see some potential.

(Besides, Angel did come back for visits sometimes during that line-up. He just never got along with Wolverine.)

Still, the title "First Class" really makes little sense without the, well, First Class. Perhaps more could have been done with that format, maybe a few issues from when Mimic was a member, or when Havok and Polaris replaced Beast. But, hell, WOLVERINE: FIRST CLASS makes even less sense as a title. That one's fun I hear, but I'm not into more Wolverine. Least in Uncanny in theory he is just one of the team. His chapter in the special was hilarious, though. Who knew Logan had a sense of humor that didn't involve killing drunks in bars in Madripoor?

I do hope the FIRST CLASS franchise can find a new way to tell their stories without relying on endless team-up's.

Yeesh, totally different experiences here, Dread. Really. They bend over backwards fer me (probably since I drop a good $70 or more a week). My only complaint is this one mope who hangs out there from open to close on Wednesday. The type that gives us comic fans a bad rep.

BTW, they got THREE stores now. I need to visit Robin at the third one of these days.

Hell, $70 a week they SHOULD bend over backwards for you. I guess my measly $20 a week makes me a rube, and I'm worth wrestling with the eBay hawkers for the issue. :rolleyes:.

A third store to chase comics at? Cool. Hopefully they have a new business card to grab so I can nab an address.

Last edited:
Wolverine: First Class is fun. The last issue had Logan dealing with Kitty's huge crush on Thor, which was funny (and awesome to me because I'm me). I suppose the UXM:FC will be similarly funny but still, I just don't really care about any of those characters or enjoy seeing them together as much as I do the first five. Except Nightcrawler. But one out of a whole bunch isn't enough.

I did get the Giant-Size thing this week, though, as a farewell to XM:FC. Haven't read it yet. Maybe it'll change my mind.

I get 15% off US cover price for having a pull list in my LCBS...

I thought that a discount was the norm...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

AGENTS OF ATLAS is a better read with the 2005 trade of the mini at your back; it's a good trade to boot, but without it, it should be readable. I don't have that experience, though.

Thanks... I'll see if I can pick up a cheap copy...

:yay:

Giant-Sized Uncanny X-Men First Class (whew!) won me over when Wolverine told Moira his backstory. Funniest thing I'd read all week.

I get 15% off US cover price for having a pull list in my LCBS...

I thought that a discount was the norm...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I get 25% from my guy in Mi. Even with the shipping, it's still cheaper than the 10% around here. HA

I have a good friend behing the counter that will usually give me 20% off my comics and between 25% to 40% off all trades...

:yay:

I only get a 10% discount. :csad:

My LCS gives me (or any customer) a 10% discount on any comic or trade purchase over $15. If not for that, I'd probably go to a closer joint. This shop is a half hour bus ride from home.

Magazines don't count. That was half of what finally got me to drop WIZARD once their price hit $5.99 a few years back. Now, of course, they're being run by Gareb Shamus in a shack somewhere. Mel Gibson's character in CONSPIRACY THEORY probably had more staff for his newsletter than WIZARD has now. :o

Giant-Sized Uncanny X-Men First Class (whew!) won me over when Wolverine told Moira his backstory. Funniest thing I'd read all week.

Toldja.

Like I said in my review, if you get too hung up on continuity, of Wolverine being humorless and basically the peak of his jerkitude in the 1975 era comics, it will drive you crazy. Tune that off, and it's hilarious. :up:

Friggin Wizard has dropped in quality so much its very very sad.

Why would anyone still buy Wizard when you've got plenty of free websites that give you the same information faster?

For real. The popularity of CBR and Newsarama are prime examples why the magazine industry is dieing.

No, I take it back. The slow and agonizing death of MAD magazine combined with the success of Cracked.com is a prime example of the magazine industry dieing.

Instant gratification is the name of the game; people just aren't willing to wait for their news or humor in monthly installments anymore.

Wizard puts news on their website, too. Nobody ever goes there, though. I didn't even think to check to see if they had one until a few minutes ago.

I used to go there now and then, but I kept running into half-stories with a "check out our (whatever month) issue for more!" tag at the end. F*** that. I take my news stories like I take my vitamin C 1000 mg tablets (with rose hips!): whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"