Bought Thought October 3rd

SouLeSS

Superhero
Reaction score
New week, new books, here we go.

Green Lantern Corps -
I thought that since last issue of GL they had lethal force active, it would transfer during this book. Guess not.
Gotta tell you, I love this story. It's epic on so many levels. Kilowag was tearing **** up, seeing the other lanterns go nuts with their lethal force was both scary and awesome at the same time. Seeing all the guys go nuts and kill the guys kinda made them less of heroes than they used to be. 8.5/10, 9.5 had the lanterns not used lethal force and found another way to deal with them

Hatter M TBP - If you read The Looking Glass Wars, then this book is amazing. If not, youll have little idea of whats going. I loved TLGW, and I love this book.

Rest of the books seem trivial right now after those two, so I'll read them tomorrow or tonght or something

A very short week to open up October, but considering I was short of cash, I certainly don't mind. Next week is more par for the course, with some 7-9 offerings, and this month has 5 Wednesdays, so I'll just enjoy the lull. Especially considering it has been a while since I bought an issue of DETECTIVE COMICS, and thanks to crossovers, that title may continue to be a rarity for me. And I wonder if Marvel will attempt another awkward way to cash in on Halloween, with the 31st being a Wednesday?

Full spoilers, but frankly, they're of little major importance to the majority of both of the Big Two. No beatings of Gauntlet or revealing yet another version of Superman causing trouble.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 10/3/07:

DETECTIVE COMICS #837:
I was drawn to this title for the run of Paul "B:TAS" Dini when he began his run about a year or more ago, about when Morrison was being hyped to start on BATMAN. What was probably unexpected was how many fill-in runs would break up Dini's here; at least three that I can recall, and they got longer every time. Since I was aboard only for Dini I decided to skip the fillers, but this is Dini so here I am. It likely doesn't help that after he started writing Detective, he was tapped for COUNTDOWN issues, and that is atop work he does for LOST. It is worth noting, though, that despite working on TV, he manages to put out more comics a year than Heinberg ever has. Anyway, as usual, the story is essentially a done-in-one, beginning, middle, and end in 22 pages sort of tale that many writers these days couldn't manage at gunpoint, but Dini has made a practice of in Detective. And yet it isn't completely isolated because it builds on subplots, to keep the monthly readers happy and the trade people happy. Naturally, as the cover suggests (Bianchi channeling Ross' JUSTICE take on Riddler a bit), Riddler teams up with Harley on a case. Both have some rapport as former rogues going legit, albeit Riddler is probably having a better go of it (aside for needing to pay for everything, including houses, in cash due to his zero credit rating). Some people feel Kramer doesn't have enough pep for a big superhero book and I am inclined to agree, but I still have no complaints for his art. He knows how to tell a story and doesn't delude himself with being showy. And I like his Riddler design, right down to the "purple shades instead of a domino mask" for the legit angle. Once again, Dini provides a mystery for the aptly named title (which is nice as many times in DETECTIVE, it was usually treated as any ol' Batman title where he could simply be Mr. Karate Man or just fish all detective work to Oracle). The twist is Bruce Wayne himself is hiring Riddler to track down an espionage thief (after Riddler, bemusingly, asks his receptionist if his new client is Batman; thank heaven for a Crisis to make Riddler forget HUSH, eh?). The cover boasts a "tie in" to COUNTDOWN, which literally made me groan, but whatever it is, it isn't so huge a chunk that anyone who skips COUNTDOWN will be confused. Apparently the thief, Lisa E. Newman, has fled Gotham for an Athenian Women's Help Center which is sort of like an Amazonian offshoot and Riddler can't investigate their easily. Fortunately for him, Harley Quinn is there and provides a contact (the former "other Catwoman", some redhead named Holly, is also there) with her. They find the perp and she uses what she stole, a rather generic steroid sort of substance, to fight them until she falls into a magic Amazon pool and turns into a monster, which complicates things for about another page. The perp is caught, Riddler is paid and Batman & Robin moniter things and reveal it was less a test of Nygma and more a way of keeping him on the legit path so Batman has less rogues to worry about when he stars in 3-4 comics a month plus crossovers and guest appearences. The fact that Riddler & Harley can carry the plot without Batman is pretty good and I enjoyed the compact tale, albeit Dini has probably done better. The next two issues are installments of the RESURRECTION OF RA'S storyline, and I likely will skip them.

SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP: MODOK'S 11 #4: The real "meat and potatoes" for me this week as this has become a fun little caper book starring some B and C list rogues. The recap page is probably the best Marvel does right now; it provides all the key information and doesn't require squinting at tiny text on black paper ("If you can read this, you don't need glasses,", to quote SPACEBALLS, my favorite Mel Brooks comedy). What I like about this book is just when the last issue reveals that one of the 11 is working for someone else, another twist comes in. The gang survived the explosion of the Infinicide and is hot on the trail of Manadarin II, fresh from seemingly banishing the Spot and absconding with the Hypernova to repower some of those ancient alien ships that Mandarin originally got his rings from. AIM's Scientist Supreme Monica Rappacini is still controling their new Ultra-Adaptoid, modeled after Chameleon (who seemingly wasted Mentallo in issue #2). And Rocket Racer is still a stutterin' fool, having a crush on Nightshade (aww) and devoted to his "mother". Who that turns out to be is the last page reveal. Along the way, we have Mandarin vs. Living Laser and Nightshade helping Puma repower himself, and actual notes of continuity along the way. The title is quite funny as well, and the irony is a series starring CRIMINALS is somehow lighter than plenty of titles I could name that star SUPERHEROES. Of course, Racer, Armadillo, and Puma have all tried to reform and have had moments of heroism, but still. Portela's art is great and I love the banter between the characters, or that odd bit of dialogue you don't see coming (like Living Laser, upon realizing that Mandarin's mastery of chi allows him to actually hurt him with karate strikes, BEGS to be hit some more because he misses human contact so much. Holy Masochism, Batman!). I really don't see this title selling well as a mini, but I do hope Van Lente gets aboard other projects, because so far I like his style. Some of the vehicles have a MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE toys look, though, and I do hope Mandarin II can recover from that, erm, severe injury Puma gave him, because he's been cooler than his father was for a while so far (least to me, in terms of design at least). At this stage if you trade waited, you may as well hold out another few months, but this has been a fun book for those who pounced early. With all the twists and backstabbings I am not sure who will win overall next month, and hopefully it doesn't disappoint. Still, a surprising pleasure.

I noticed he randomly posts that in B/T threads. wtf?

I hate subscribing by the tools, so I say the most pointless thing I can think of to be apart of the thread.

30 Days of Night- VERY fast read. The artwork is a mix between stylized and confusing. Beautiful for the most part, but often too "artsy" for it's own good. Still, a stellar premise, and I'm eager to see the film. 8/10

No reviews from me this week on account of, well...you don't really need to know why. I did read my books, and I will say that the Wolverine annual was the bloodiest Wolverine story I've read in a while.

To anyone else reading the Sinestro Corps crossover: Has there been any mention whatsoever to the fact that Sodam Yat is a giant, sopping ***** for a Daxamite? He should be able to own the entire Sinestro Corps if he's got powers comparable to Superman's and a Green Lantern ring, yet he's mostly been floundering around just like the rest of the Lanterns. Are his Daxamite powers blocked because he didn't stand under the right sun or something?

Detective Comics - Okay. It was okay.

who's the dude in the purple robe at the end, and is that the same guy from that Countdown image, and why is he there, and Countdown sucks so if you know the answer to my question you suck because you read suck. but still.

Detective Comics - Okay. It was okay.

who's the dude in the purple robe at the end, and is that the same guy from that Countdown image, and why is he there, and Countdown sucks so if you know the answer to my question you suck because you read suck. but still.

I was confused about that as well. :huh:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #7
This is the best thing ever. This is the best thing that ever happened. This is even better than someone deciding to seriously Parkman my brain this week and write Milo Ventimiglia wet, shirtless, panting, and tied to a chair for half an episode. I mean fck. There's gratuity, and then there's that.

What were we talking about? Oh, right, how awesome this issue is. Well, Vaughan writes Faith practically better than Whedon does (What can I say? I have to factor her laughable street slang of the series finale), which is pleasantly surprising enough as it is, but he also writes Dawn, Willow, and nearly everyone else here so cocking well. I really like Genevieve here (or Gigi, apparently). I don't know if I'm supposed to like her or if Vaughan is really trying to make her likable, but I do. I'ma be pissed if she dies. Hell, I'ma be pissed if she doesn't at least make reoccurring guest star status.

The story and cliffhanger is not anything that's going to be "shocking" or even that big of a twist, at least not in the traditional sense. Anyone at least somewhat familiar with Faith and Buffy, who has paid marginal attention to the plot and to upcoming solicits, could probably have guessed that something like this was going to go down. So it's not like Gwen Stacy just died or something. But it's so perfect. It fits perfectly. It's the perfect idea for the perfect story that is perfectly fitting to not only Faith's story but what Buffy has to consider these days with her own role and these new Slayers. I was wary about Vaughan rehashing Teh Buffy Versus Faith scenario yet again which would be...literally, the eleventh time it has happened in 'verse canon (seriously, I just now counted (five times of heads butting in season three, three times in season four counting the Angel crossover, twice in season seven, and now this (you all totally needed to know that))), but what he has presented in this scenario promises to be so fitting and perfect (I'm going to cram those words in here as many times as I can!) that it's beyond forgivable.

(9.6 out of 10)

Countdown #30
Can someone who took more drugs than me this week explain to me the point -- or, hell, any point at all -- of the "Athena" story that Donna tells...Donna? Athena sprang from Zeus' head after he swallowed her mother. Donna was a portion of Wonder Woman's soul split into a true being. Yes, they are both utterly unnatural forms of "birth," but beyond that they have no fcking similarities whatsoever. And the moral of the story is...Donna shouldn't expect to become Wonder Woman if she doesn't want to? What? What? What the poo is with that whole bit about her being more like Athena than she thinks? By all that is good and Buffy, please don't tell me that it's some notsosubtle hint that she's going to turn into Granny Goodness or something 'cause if that's the case I really am going to have to choke a btch.

Why did Jimmy leave Cadmus, exactly? Weren't they trying to help him?

I'm going to stop reviewing this book. It's not worth any of my [admittedly vast] effort to say "Nothing makes sense here and the writing is still shtty" every single week. We all know by now how much of a catastrophic failure this is by now and we all know that it has not shown any signs of lasting improvement, nor is it ever likely to.

(3.2 out of 10)

Supergirl #22
Awww yay Bedard's doing so well here wait where's he going NOOO DON'T GO ah fck he's gone.

The last three pages of this issue should be printed out, blown into giant-size, and plastered over the offices of Loeb and Kelly (and Beechen, just for the hell of it) with the words "THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE. THIS IS WHY YOU FAILED. YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF" hanging below in bright neon ink. I know I'd feel much happier. It is, hands down, the single best scene I've read regarding New Earth Kara in the entirety of her existence. It doesn't forget or excuse the mistakes of the past, yet it says everything that it has to regarding what she's been through and where she's going, and so much more besides.

By this point, Countdown tie-ins on a general ratio tally are doing so much better than the actual Countdown. I mean, I read the Karate Kid/Una story here as if I actually cared, and their story wasn't even really the point of the issue!

(8.6 out of 10)

The All-New Atom #16
Hippies overrun the city. Disco ensues.

For all that I praise the wackiness of this series, I do see where it sort of skirts the line between "wacky" and "hokey" and also "******ed." I don't think Simone's the kind of author who can balance humor and drama so fcking fluently that it never actually seems off, but I think she's doing great with what she does have. Your own personal mileage may vary, though I'm willing to bet most people would really like this series if they gave it a shot. Look, it's got the DCU equivalent of the YMCA, okay?

(7.6 out of 10)

Green Lantern Corps #16
One word describes this event: Epic. The story of awesome explosions and galatic warfare continue here, and it so very works despite the fact that it's basically one long action scene in space; that's really what the Green Lantern Corps were made for. Not all of the Lanterns have distinct enough personalities as to make you care unconditionally for the twenty-plus Lanterns appearing in the issue, perhaps, but each and every one of them are absolutely pivotal to the scope and color and weight of the story.

I'm not completely sure how I feel about Buttsex Yat. I freely concede that the notion that he may steal Kyle's "Ion" title from him soon already counts as like fifteen strikes against him in my book. And the fact that he really comes off so perfect and flawless and Golden Boy here...it's practically Hal-ish. It is Hal-ish. Arisia even compares him to Hal (albeit harshly). He's got no faults, any of his quirks are positive ones, and he never makes any bad decisions ever. He's Gary Stu. He's basically so perfect as to take you completely out of the story.

On the other hand...the things he does here are pretty badass. He kicks ass and takes names. He blows up a city-planet. He gets the girl (she even legal yet?). And it's not quite shoved into your face enough to be annoying. So...he is kinda cool, in a way. I could get to like him in time. I just think so many things could go wrong with this character, as well.

It's very interesting that the concept of the Corps utilizing lethal force was depicted as a generally negative thing over in Hal's title...and yet, here, I basically got the sense that it was a positive thing, a good turn of events that most of the Lanterns are rather pleased about. Kilowog and Sal offer some awkward reticence, but in the end even they understand the need for lethal action. And, ultimately, it did save Mogo and the Lanterns from the evil invaders so wasn't it truly, unequivocally a good thing? We'll have to see how this this continues.

(8.9 out of 10)

Metal Men #3
Hmm. It's basically still quite good. Charming and action-packed and filled with great character moments from everyone involved. But the plot's getting dangerously hard to follow and the art -- cool as it appears visually -- isn't exactly the most cohesive narrative style in the world. I have a feeling that it will all make sense and seem more structurally sound when we get a few more issues out, but for now I'm suffering some minor worries about Rouleau getting a bit ahead of himself.

(7.5 out of 10)

Brian K Vaughan does everything better than Whedon, why is this surprising?

Green Lantern Corps #16
One word describes this event: Epic. The story of awesome explosions and galatic warfare continue here, and it so very works despite the fact that it's basically one long action scene in space; that's really what the Green Lantern Corps were made for. Not all of the Lanterns have distinct enough personalities as to make you care unconditionally for the twenty-plus Lanterns appearing in the issue, perhaps, but each and every one of them are absolutely pivotal to the scope and color and weight of the story.

I'm not completely sure how I feel about Buttsex Yat. I freely concede that the notion that he may steal Kyle's "Ion" title from him soon already counts as like fifteen strikes against him in my book. And the fact that he really comes off so perfect and flawless and Golden Boy here...it's practically Hal-ish. It is Hal-ish. Arisia even compares him to Hal (albeit harshly). He's got no faults, any of his quirks are positive ones, and he never makes any bad decisions ever. He's Gary Stu. He's basically so perfect as to take you completely out of the story.

On the other hand...the things he does here are pretty badass. He kicks ass and takes names. He blows up a city-planet. He gets the girl (she even legal yet?). And it's not quite shoved into your face enough to be annoying. So...he is kinda cool, in a way. I could get to like him in time. I just think so many things could go wrong with this character, as well.

It's very interesting that the concept of the Corps utilizing lethal force was depicted as a generally negative thing over in Hal's title...and yet, here, I basically got the sense that it was a positive thing, a good turn of events that most of the Lanterns are rather pleased about. Kilowog and Sal offer some awkward reticence, but in the end even they understand the need for lethal action. And, ultimately, it did save Mogo and the Lanterns from the evil invaders so wasn't it truly, unequivocally a good thing? We'll have to see how this this continues.

(8.9 out of 10)
Well, Yat's prophesied to be "the ultimate Green Lantern," so it's no surprise he's perfect. It would've been ncie to see him build up to being perfect, but I guess since the prophecy of Yat has been sitting around for literally about 20 years (real time) has made Gibbons want to just get him into position and reveal why he's the ultimate GL.

As for lethal force, it's not unequivocally positive. Yes, it allows the GLs to fight the Sinestro Corps better, but these guys consider themselves space cops. The ability to use lethal force willy-nilly basically militarizes them and forces them to be something they're not. Sure, some of the newer Lanterns love it (especially Vath and Isamot, who are ex-soldiers), but to veteran Lanterns like Kilowog, Salakk, and Arisia, it's a completely radical change for them. The Guardians put the no-killing rule for a reason--the GLs are supposed to be shining examples to the rest of the universe. Mogo even says at the beginning that Lanterns live "in the light" rather than hiding in the shadows. That could easily be taken as an allusion to the fact that they don't kill--they don't use the darker methods of their enemies. So, while it's certainly efficacious for the Lanterns to kill in this situation, the veterans see it as a compromise of their morals; essentially, the Guardians have admitted that staying true to their longtime ideology would lose them this battle. Kind of a big blow to morale for the Lanterns who've been upholding those ideals for years.

One thing that kind of bugged me was Salakk's murder of that Child of the White Lobe. He had him in a stasis field, effectively making him a prisoner like the dozen or so others who were all floating around in stasis fields already. Then... he executed him? That seemed odd.

Expecially after he said something about how he doesn't like the idea of lethal force being activated.

It was still pretty sweet though, you gotta admit. Character aside, for someone to trap a little dude in a bubble, look him dead in the eye and go "incinerate" and then watch the thing burn up, is purely badass, albeit a little evil.

That's my whole problem with what's going on with lethal force. The guardians are going to eventually take that away right? Some of the GL's wont accept this and go rogue, and thats probably what the Alpha Lanterns are for, to track down the traitors to the light using any means (which is why they don't need / have rings, so they don't have restrictions)

Did anyone else pick up the new Howard the Duck mini and find themselves disappointed?

Did anyone else pick up the new Howard the Duck mini and find themselves disappointed?

I was tempted, since it was such a small week. Glad I didn't. Instead I bought the first Hercules mini (packaged together for $6), the Irredeemable Ant-Man digest ( for a present), and Omega the Unknown. I don't know why I bought the last one. Money burning a hole in my pocket I guess.

OtU's art look great. The premise sounded good. There was just something about it that made me put it back on the shelf, though. Is it 616 continuity or no?

For some odd reason, my shop my shop got a crap ton. :confused:

Honestly, I just flipped through it. If I don't see any other reviews, I'll put one up (I'm not good at them. I never seem to be snarky enough for people 's tastes.)

I did like the Wolverine annual. I really thought that guy might find some redemption in the end. Good story.

I'm thinking of getting OtU. Really like the idea of it.

Honestly, I just flipped through it. If I don't see any other reviews, I'll put one up (I'm not good at them. I never seem to be snarky enough for people 's tastes.)

I did like the Wolverine annual. I really thought that guy might find some redemption in the end. Good story.

Yeah, the Wolverine Annual was pretty great. It's been a while since I've seen Logan straight up massacre groups of non-powered people like he did in that book. My jaded and cyncical self actually found it pretty shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"