• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Brad Bird Directing Tomorrowland - Part 1

I don't get why Tomorrowland has been reported to be a wholely original film either, I will never get that because it isn't. Nothing wrong with Bird defending his movie but he and the media are not calling a spade a spade.

I think it's somewhat of an interesting case there. Really, you could name it anything else and it'd be an original film. It has no ties to the land outside of name. Pirates of the Caribbean brought a number of elements over, that awful Haunted Mansion movie obviously used the Mansion as it's setting, but Tomorrowland really has no ties outside of name.

I get what Bird was trying to do, basically subvert all those Disney flicks based on rides and make this more of a thinking man's thing. Didn't pan out though.

And here I thought he just wanted to make an Objectivist Randian propaganda movie.

The Abyss had a director's cut that's actually a fantastic movie. The original theatrical cut is still not a great movie.

That USA Today article was really odd. I don't think it was necessary for the writer to blame the audience for not getting the movie, or not liking an original film. First of all, it's not a wholly original film. The title itself comes from the Disneyland theme park and Walt Disney's ideas about creating like an actual futuristic town.

What about Inside Out? That's a completely original film. Not a sequel or adaptation. It was very successful this summer.

Well, I think Tomorrowland is a fantastic movie, just like the Abyss DC.

And here I thought he just wanted to make an Objectivist Randian propaganda movie.
It is an objectivist film. I don't find that uplifting in the slightest, I find it to be creepy. And unlike The Incredibles, it's not a great or even good movie, so I can't ignore that message. I'm fine with filmmakers having different outlooks than my own but you better ****ing bring it as a film.

I get what Bird was trying to do, basically subvert all those Disney flicks based on rides and make this more of a thinking man's thing. Didn't pan out though.
If Bird was trying to make a thinking man's film, he failed entirely. First thing he should have done is talked to some real scientists, engineers, and inventors so the characters weren't such childish caricatures.

My husband (aerospace engineering major) and I (former cancer scientist) both thought the movie was awful.

I thought Tomorrowland was alright. I liked the rapport between Casey and Athena, who was a wee cheeky devil most of the time.

I saw that this is being released on Blu-ray next Tuesday. You know what else is being released the same day on Blu-ray by the same company? Aladdin, also known as one of the most anticipated and requested Disney films since Blu-ray players first hit the market. It's also the first time this has been available to purchase in a decade since it was in the vault. Disney clearly wants Tomorrowland to be a complete failure all around as Aladdin will cut into a huge chunk of its Blu-ray and DVD sales.

Somebody said Tomorrowland is what a Disney film by Nolan would've been like, haha.

Norman Reedus was going to play Clooney's dad.
For example, he found out that he would be passed over for a role in "Tomorrowland" playing George Clooney's father if he didn't cut his hair.

He said: “I was like, ‘Don’t they know I’m on a TV show?’

Reedus suggested that they he could use a bald cap and a hairpiece for the role. He couldn't cut his hair, because he had to stay consistent to Daryl.

“It went down to the last minute, and everyone knew I couldn’t cut my hair," Reedus, 46, recounted. "Then, I think the director, Brad Bird, threw a fit and was like, ‘If he’s not dedicated to this role and he can’t cut his hair, then it’s not going to work.’ I’m on a f-----’ TV show! I can’t just shave my head!”
http://www.businessinsider.com/norm...wland-because-he-wouldnt-cut-his-hair-2015-10

lol

LOL, why would you want to mess with Reedus' haircut? I feel like him bald would look weird.

Watched this movie last night for the first time. I had wanted to see it but obviously it became one I could wait out for.

I really liked the first 2/3s even if it had bad pacing and took an hour and a half to get anywhere. The final act was so crappy and dragged down a mostly fun ride down a lot.

The best scene was in the sci-fi nostalgia store with robot Key and robot lady.

I was having a good time watching it even though it didn't transition well into any real plot. Things that happened at the hour, 1:15 mark should have happened at the end of the first act. Just poor pacing but the idea and sense of wonder still had me interested into what was going to happen.

Unfortunately, once they get back to defunct Tomorrowland, the movie SUCKS hard.

Damn I hated the last act of this movie. Dragged it down immensely but I suppose a lot of the ****** ending had to be brief and glossed over due to how long it took it get there, even though I was enjoying it up until then.

The 'villain' and plot became really lame and barebones and essentially another 'mankind doesn't care about the Earth or our species enough and will destroy ourselves and our home in due time unless we change.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"