Brad Bird Directing Tomorrowland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score

EXCLUSIVE
: Brad Bird has been set to direct 1952, a script that Disney paid former Lost producer Damon Lindelof(Prometheus,LOST)last year to write. The film, which Lindelof is writing with Jeff Jensen, is a closely guarded secret at Disney, but it’s a big scale tent pole film. I’m not sure if it’s a reference to the year, or a Lost reference. But it has multi-platform aspirations, and the studio hopes it will be the next film directed by Bird, who made the leap from animation to live action feature directing with the blockbuster Mission: Impossible–Ghost Protocol. The intention is to get the film into production next year, after a long prep, with Lindelof producing. Bird has been developing his own projects, including 1906. The Lindelof deal was made last June and came out of a series of meetings that Lindelof had with Disney’s production president Sean Bailey and senior exec Brigham Taylor, and it’s the first film that Lindelof is producing from the ground up. He has had an enviable run as a screenwriter since Lost wrapped. Hired to rewrite Jon Spaihts’ Alien prequel, Lindelof came up with an idea that Ridley Scott embraced and it turned the film into Prometheus, a free-standing film. He also co-wrote the Star Trek sequel for JJ Abrams. Bird is repped by UTA, Lindelof by CAA.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/bra...elofs-secret-shrouded-script-1952-for-disney/

Lindelof + Bird? :wow:

Sploosh. :o

Update from /Film editor Peter Sciretta: Ryan Stewart points out on Twitter that “1952 is big in UFO lore. It’s the year Project Blue Book started.” This might give us some clues to what the project is about. According to wikipedia:
The 1952 Washington D.C. UFO incident, also known as the Washington flap or the Washington National Airport Sightings, was a series of unidentified flying object reports from July 12 to July 29, 1952, over Washington D.C.
http://www.slashfilm.com/brad-bird-set-direct-damon-lindelofs-mysterious-scifi-project-1952/

I have to say, I'm a big fan of Lindelof. Even his much delayed Ult. Wolverine/Hulk mini was pretty damn good.

Sounds interesting, if it really is about the real-life "invasion of Washington" by UFOs in '52.

added to radar

Sounds good. Really, really good. :up:

George Clooney May Star in Brad Bird-Damon Lindelof Sci-Fi Film

Secretive pic said to be very Spielberg-like in nature.

by Jim Vejvoda
November 9, 2012
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11...-sci-fi-film?abthid=509dab7ebe10adde150003bb#http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11...-sci-fi-film?abthid=509dab7ebe10adde150003bb#http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11...-sci-fi-film?abthid=509dab7ebe10adde150003bb#

Oscar winner George Clooney is reportedly in early talks to star in the tentatively titled 1952 (aka Tesla) that Brad Bird will direct from a screenplay by Damon Lindelof.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the plot of the secrecy-shrouded sci-fi film "is being kept under wraps, although it has been described as being in the vein of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Spielberg’s 1970s movie about a man searching for extra-terrestrial life on Earth."
Both 1952 and Tesla are said to be merely code names for the project and not actual working titles for the movie, which will be the first Disney pic of his career

You know I've read too many UFO reports when I knew it would be about UFO's just by seeing that year.

Maybe we'll see some saucer dogfights.

"Pirates 5," "Muppets 2," "1952" Get Dated

By Garth Franklin Monday January 14th 2013 11:34PM
Disney Pictures have shifted around their release date schedule, making a couple of changes and adding a few new titles.
First up the company has announced new dates for "The Muppets" sequel, the fifth "Pirates" movie, and Brad Bird's "1952" sci-fi project.
They've also yanked the 3D re-release of "The Little Mermaid" from its planned September 13th 2013 release. The 2014 & 2015 schedule is now as follows:
March 21st 2014: "The Muppets 2"
April 4th 2014: "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"
July 2nd 2014: "Maleficent"
August 1st 2014: "Guardians of the Galaxy"
December 19th 2014: "1952"
July 10th 2015: "Pirates of the Caribbean 5"

1952boxsmall.jpg

Viral image about the movie. Bird and Lindelof said that's all we get so far.

I got excited when I thought this was going to be a BUCK ROGERS film. Then I remembered the last time Disney made a movie about a character that influenced sci-fi and STAR WARS.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/28/disneys-1952-is-tomorrowland/
Disney's mysterious '1952' movie has a revealing new name ...
by Anthony Breznican

The working title has been 1952, but the top secret film being developed by Disney is now unveiling its official moniker …

Tomorrowland.

The movie will definitely star George Clooney, and it is being developed by director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, The Iron Giant) and writers Damon Lindelof and Entertainment Weekly’s own Jeff “Doc” Jensen (who has been unable to breathe a word to his colleagues. Damn him.)

Last week, Lindelof and Bird began teasing a a revelation, posting images of an archive materials box labeled “1952″ on Twitter. Inside the box, which supposedly provided inspiration for the story, is a copy of the book Model Research: The National Advisory Committee For Aeronautics 1918-1958 by military history professor Alex Roland (published in 1985), and an August 1928 edition of Amazing Stories magazine, featuring a man in a flying suit on the cover — the first appearance of the time-leaping hero Buck Rogers.

There is also what appears to be some sort of 45 record, the nozzle of a small rocket engine, and a scattering of photos of Walt Disney himself.

You can see the full image of the what’s inside the “1952″ box below. (Click for a larger version.)

The previously named 1952 has had people throwing around wild guesses regarding its plot, and the filmmakers are clearly trying to tease that a little longer. Some speculated that it was the working title for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, back when The Walt Disney Co. first acquired Lucasfilm. Others wondered if it had something to do with the creation of Disneyland, which opened in 1955. Disney’s legendary Imagineering division was founded in 1952 to help develop concepts for the park.

It turned out the theme park guess is not that far off. The company has been trying for a decade to create more film projects off of its Disneyland and Walt Disney World properties, sometimes to great success, such as with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and sometimes less so. The Country Bears anyone? Eddie Murphy appeared in 2003′s The Haunted Mansion, and Guillermo del Toro has been at work developing a revamped version of that story — though its status remains uncertain. (As of last August, he said it was still happening.)

Jensen, EW’s point person on all things Lost, began his writing partnership with Lindelof, the co-creator of that series, after it ended in May 2010. In accordance with Time Inc. policy, Jensen continues to report and write about TV and film, excluding those produced by Disney and its affiliates.

The script for this film is being written by Lindelof and Bird, while those two and Jensen share story credit, and Jensen will be listed as an executive producer.

Tomorrowland is due in theaters Dec. 19, 2014.
:awesome::up:

Dang it! At first I thought it said Dec 19, 2013!!!

This should be really good. I have been pumped even since I heard about 1952. New title, brad Bird... Now I am ecstatic!

Give it a ****ing rest.

Tomorrowland? Awesome. Can't wait to see Favreau's Magic Kingdom as well.

I hope they show Walt and Ub Iwerks designing and building the monorail for the park and later wanting to build it for free for all of the city of Los Angeles to be used for public transportation, then was turned down by the city of Los Angeles. It was ****ing free?!!!

Last edited:
It's either a "making of" regarding Disneyworld/land or an adaptation of the Tomorrowland section of the park. I secretly hope it's the latter because you know Bird will basically do it in a retro "what they thought the future would be like in the 50s" style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"