Brad Pitt Climbs Tree of Life

Um, okay. I see what you mean. Did you see the final theatrical cut or do you know?

Well, I saw it in a theatre, so I it must have been the theatrical cut. The movie has already been released over here in Brussels.

Well, I didn't know if maybe it was a preview screening or something. I think sometimes rougher cuts are shown at those.

So, I've seen it. Pretty much unwatchable, I hated it. I don't even know if I can call this a film at all. It's definately one of those hate it or love it films, and I'm sure that a lot of people can dig it, but it's really, really not my cup of tea.

Nice to know that you have seen the film. At least you're lucky enough to see it at the theater, because I won't be able to.

In related news, The Tree of Life won the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year with, I believe, mixed reaction. In retrospect, it makes sense.

'Tree of Life' wins Palme d'Or
Malick pic takes top prize at Cannes

Terrence Malick's 'The Tree of Life' won the Palme d'Or at the 64th Cannes Film Festival.

CANNES -- More than a year after it was first tipped to play the Croisette, ''The Tree of Life,'' Terrence Malick's epic meditation on childhood and the cosmos, won the Palme d'Or from the jury of the 64th Cannes Film Festival.
Intriguing, after the reaction was so divided, I had thought the judges would be too.

'The Tree of Life' Goes Wide on July 8th

Source

You can check the release dates on the link.

This movie was AWESOME!

Not for everyone though.

I came out with the same feeling I have after getting stoned...

So beautiful it hurts the eyes. The creation scene is a visual orgasm.

Yeah, ofcourse ;) I'm going to put it in spoiler tags though, I'm not gonna spoil anything, I just don't want to influence other people before they watch the film. :) So, read it if you like.

For me, the movie was unbearable to watch because, there are hardly any real scenes. It's pretty much steadycamshot after steadycamshot of people walking around, and of shadows on the wall and things like that. And every time that it looked like a real scene was about to begin, the next ''scene'' began. The movie as a whole was completely incoherent for me. I guess I can see what Malick was going for, but I just don't like that kind of movies. I saw all the right ingredients for a very good movie, but it never really comes together.

Being the movie a recollection of memories , i think that choice works really well and feels very natural , like a string of vignettes

Malick has a very distinctive style. The way he "directs" the actors. How the voiceover is much more concerned about how the characters feel from a spiritual point of view vs the regular exposition (dialogues are minimal in his movies ). And the rhythm of the movie is very reminiscent of his former work.

Last edited:
Such a personal film. I give Malick so much credit for putting himself out there. It's a relief to see this film live up to it's amazing trailer. So totally worth it. Though we are seeing the birth of the universe, a family in the 50's, and a lost soul in modern times, we can't forget that all of this is constructed and preconceived by Malick's visionary skills. This film is not for everyone and will frustrate people who favor traditional edits and filming. Malick's poetry is not in his words or even his scenes but rather the way he constructs the film by using different perspectives and mingling them into a whole. It's an experience worth having.

4/4

Wow. Just caught this at the Drafthouse. Packed theater. good crowd. left the audence speechless at the end of the film. It was great hearing everyone talk about it as they walked out.

Just a great film. Already looks to be one of my favorites of the past years. The only other Malick film i've seen is Days of Heaven and this one definitely ups the ante on the cinematograpy. The film is just beautiful. The acting is superb right down to the extras and the cgi dinosaurs. The story is powerful, I was almost in tears in some of the simplest scenes.

I really got to let the movie sink in and give it another viewing. Just fantastic.

I saw this earlier today. I swear this must be one of the most gorgeous movies ever made. The first time that simple visuals (with no particular story attachment) have been so beautiful to move me to tears. And easily the most Malick-y Malick film yet, if that makes any sense, lol. SO powerful. It's definitely one that I'll need to allow time to sink in.

agreed you have to let it sink. The movie whole-heartedly is a reflection. An artist holding his mirror to nature. It provokes the viewer to do the same. Coming out of the theater was great as well, I heard one guy say "How the hell do I describe this movie?" haha

I saw this last Friday, and I thought I'd offer up some thoughts, however vague they may be. As most are probably aware, it's an incredibly difficult film to describe, and for me, it is equally difficult to formulate an appropriate opinion of it. Three days later, and I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it. There are only three things that I've accepted with complete certainty; I didn't absolutely hate it, I didn't absolutely love it, and it's probably one of the most (if not the most) beautifully shot films I've ever seen (seriously, the cinematography is just gorgeous, in every which way). Beyond that, I have found that I am requiring an extra-long digestion period.

The film itself, much like some aspects of the subject matter, is a contradiction. It's both exhilarating and exhausting, but it is always stunning. It's definitely not the "traditional" film experience, especially considering some of the quite schizophrenic and sometimes painfully ambiguous editing. Malick deserves recognition for not only imaging and crafting such a film, but also for pushing hard enough in order to ensure that such a film made it's way up on screen. Something tells me, however, that were he not "Terrence Malick," the film would have a hell of time getting made, and then an even greater battle with finding an appropriate release. Truthfully, I don't see too many directors being able to get away with what Malick did here.

All in all, it certainly requires another viewing, and perhaps even slowed down, halted viewings in order to absorb, reflect and, most importantly, understand, before moving on to the next chronicled moment in the collective lives of the O'Brien family. In that regard, I guess it's applicable to say that the film plays out somewhat like visual poetry, which in itself is a difficult concept to swallow at times. If it's of any value, my first, gut reactions to the film were that it's most comparable counterpart is 2001, the performances were about as real and natural as one could imagine (even with big names like Pitt and Penn, all actors are relegated to performances with very little vocal expression, Penn most especially), and that I wanted to see it again, if only to sort out the emotional mixed bag of frustration, confusion, exhaustion, awe, and wonder.

I suppose it's fitting that for such a film, my little "review" here is incredibly vague and quite clearly not so clear (haha). Like I said, it's a very difficult movie to describe. ;)

Last edited:
People on twitter are saying there was loud booing at the end of the first screening. They're also talking about how little of a narrative there is. Doesn't that describe all of his films? Hopefully after all of the BEST MOVIE EVAR stuff about this movie dies down, more people will start to realize Malick can't tell an emotional story for ****.

I love your logic.

One of those reasons better be DINOSAURS!

Terrence Malick Preparing a Six-Hour Cut of 'The Tree of Life'

In an interview with the latest edition of french film magazine , Les Cahiers du Cinéma, as part of an extensive feature about The Tree Of Life, Emmanuel Lubezki reveals that Malick is currently in the process of making a six-hour version of the film. The additions would mostly focus on the middle portion of the film where we follow Jack as he grows up.

Roughly translated by IMDB user nlvg

Does Malick think about editing when he’s filming ?

We speak about it almost everytime. But most of the ideas about the editing we share on the set don’t make the final cut.

We maybe have been shot 600.000 metres (around 370 miles) of film.

The first cut was 8 hours long. Terry is working on/preparing a 6 hours long version of the movie. What I’ve seen (of this) is absolutely incredible, it’s wonderful. The longer version will have to/will likely, for the most part, relate to the children part. There were outstanding things, we’ve shot many, many things about Jack’s childhood : his friends, his evolution, his changes, his awareness of the loss of his childhood. I don’t know if I’m supposed to say all of this!

Those who have seen the film, do you think it's necessary to extend the childhood section or is it perfect as it is? And would you like to see the longer version of the film?

Last edited:
Brilliant director and great movie. I really liked the metaphors of life and death, and the loss of innocence that was conveyted through the two brothers. On a side not, I know that one of the dinosaurs they showed was a Plesiosaur and a Hadrosaur, but what was the fleet footed one near the end?

Terrence Malick Preparing a Six-Hour Cut of 'The Tree of Life'

In an interview with the latest edition of french film magazine , Les Cahiers du Cinéma, as part of an extensive feature about The Tree Of Life, Emmanuel Lubezki reveals that Malick is currently in the process of making a six-hour version of the film. The additions would mostly focus on the middle portion of the film where we follow Jack as he grows up.

Roughly translated by IMDB user nlvg

Those who have seen the film, do you think it's necessary to extend the childhood section or is it perfect as it is? And would you like to see the longer version of the film?

he shouldn't touch it. id be interested in seeing some of the scenes, but a six hour movie is absurd. he got his point across most def.

I saw it and enjoyed it despite its pace and ambiguity. I wanted more random dinosaur action, though!

tumblr_lkwdr3DrMt1qz4vjio1_500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"