Malick Casts Affleck, Bardem, McAdams and Kurylenko

New Image:

1JvNj.jpg

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059018.html?cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CFilmNews

Hell yes, more Malick :up: Looks stunningly beautiful as expected, look forward to whatever form this takes.

Trailer looks beautiful. :hrt:

What a mesmerizing trailer . There's this ethereal sort of mundane image that only Malick knows to capture.

so will this film have a plot?

Resorting to a more unconventional structure, doesn't mean not having a plot.

This looks pretty and I I love Rachel McAdams, but the actual film doesn't interest me at all.

Apparently what they showed of Rachel in the trailer is pretty much her entire screen time in the movie. :dry:

Malick can't stop surprising with his ability to conjure such awe-inspiring imagery, one more impressive than the previous. I'll be there day 0. However the flow of Bardem's voice over seems a bit awkward in the trailer but that could be just the editing, and apparently he'll have some in spanish too so all's fine.

Last edited:
I'd watch a Malick film just for the imagery alone. He just never ceases to amaze in that department.

Gorgeous imagery. I'm sure the story will be pretentious as all hell, but hot damn, that imagery...

I love Malick but come on man... the trailer at least makes it look like some spiritual successor to Tree of Life. If the movie is like this, and if he continues in this exact way, he's gotta change it up, or it's gonna become an obvious style.

At least with his previous films they were all pretty distinct in imagery.

I love Malick but come on man... the trailer at least makes it look like some spiritual successor to Tree of Life. If the movie is like this, and if he continues in this exact way, he's gotta change it up, or it's gonna become an obvious style.

At least with his previous films they were all pretty distinct in imagery.

This has been his style since Badlands.

You could cut a trailer of Ben Chaplin's flashback relationship with Miranda Otto in Thin Red Line straight to this movie , and nobody would notice it.

Everybody knows a Malick movie just by watching it , and nobody can seem to replicate it.

You could cut a trailer of Ben Chaplin's flashback relationship with Miranda Otto in Thin Red Line straight to this movie , and nobody would notice it.

Everybody knows a Malick movie just by watching it , and nobody can seem to replicate it.

I like Malick, but who truly wants to replicate his style?

I like Malick, but who truly wants to replicate his style?

Filmmakers with good taste :yay:

Snyder's trying. :D

Oh man , can you imagine a crazy Superman movie dealing exactly with the same sort of themes Malick loves to explore ? Because if there's a character that we can completely twist the rules of the genre , is Supes . He is the origin of the archetype of superhero. It fits right in with some of the stuff explored all throughout the director's career , especially the oppressive side of Nature vs Superman idealism

You could start the movie with Thin Red Line narration and it would fit perfectly

"What's this war in the heart of nature? Why does nature vie with itself, the land contend with the sea? Is there an avenging power in nature? "

Fanboys would go crazy :woot:

Badlands actually feels pretty different than most of his other films. There are moments of his nature shots when they're in the wilderness but that's about all I can remember. Thin Red Line, New World, Tree of life all have pretty distinct Malick traits, but still feel different from each other. Maybe this is just the trailer and it's trying to make it look more that way, but it's a little tiring to look at from this alone. This film seems to deal with love essentially so as a film it could present itself differently.

Badlands actually feels pretty different than most of his other films. There are moments of his nature shots when they're in the wilderness but that's about all I can remember. Thin Red Line, New World, Tree of life all have pretty distinct Malick traits, but still feel different from each other. Maybe this is just the trailer and it's trying to make it look more that way, but it's a little tiring to look at from this alone. This film seems to deal with love essentially so as a film it could present itself differently.

Absolutely. Every movies feels very differently from the other. But they share the same visual language. This To The Wonder doesn't look like an exception

A longer trailer

[YT]g1klYGeC24o[/YT]

I think it would all look better if it had some structure that trailers have. Tree of Life had this. This is just more of a collage of various images and parts of dialogue that make it look like the way I describe. In short, I could see this parodied on Collegehumor done in this way. Like mad libs with Malick shots and dialogue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"