Malick's "Knight of Cups" (Bale, Blanchett, Portman)

Love seeing some Malick style visuals that aren't just nature, beauty and such.

Malick going with hookers and drugs instead. Can you imagine the voice over during those scenes? Lawd.

I'm in.

Premiering at the Berlin Film Festival.

Trailer:

There's more dialogue in that trailer than in most of Malick's films. It looks nothing like his usual type of material, if the trailer didn't say he directed it I don't think people would have guessed. It looks intriguing at the very least.

We knew this was coming... :awesome:

"The Dark Knight of Cups"
[YT]tTeSVV5mDIk[/YT]

So I saw the trailer to this last night anyone mind telling me what the frik this movie is about? I get the feelnig on Malick will know.

Excellent cast by the way.

Any thoughts on the fact that Malick is using a GoPro for large parts of the film? It just struck me as unusual since he's just one of those guys I always associated with 70's film and not keeping a digital frame anywhere

The official runtime is 118 minutes.

Synopsis:

Rick is a slave to the Hollywood system. He is addicted to success but simultaneously despairs at the emptiness of his life. He is at home in a world of illusions but seeks real life. Like the tarot card of the title, Rick is easily bored and needs outside stimulation. But the Knight of Cups is also an artist, a romantic and an adventurer.

In Terrence Malick's seventh film a gliding camera once again accompanies a tormented hero on his search for meaning. Once again a voiceover is laid over images which also seek their own authenticity. And once again Malick seems to put the world out of joint. His symphonic flow of images contrasts cold, functional architecture with the ageless beauty of nature. Rick's internal monologue coalesces with the voices of the women who cross his path, women who represent different principles in life: while one lives in the real world, the other embodies beauty and sensuality. Which path will Rick choose? In the city of angels and the desert that surrounds it, will he find his own way?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-for-terrence-malicks-knight-of-cups-20150202

I don't mean to knock Malick here, but is it a good thing when the SYNOPSIS of a movie basically admits he's just doing the same thing over and over again with his films?

I used to like Malick as a director but after his last couple of movies he seems to become a pretentious parody of himself.

To the Wonder is the only work of his that I didn't care for. Partly because he went on overdrive with his "Malick-ness" and it didn't help too that the two leads were out of depth and didn't really "get" his style. Other than that, IMO, Malick's films are superb with underrated performances (Chastain, Pitt, Caviezel, Kilcher, McKraken, Spacek, etc.).

I don't mean to knock Malick here, but is it a good thing when the SYNOPSIS of a movie basically admits he's just doing the same thing over and over again with his films?

At first I thought that synopsis was a joke from a site like Cracked.com. Whoever wrote that had to be taking a shot at Malick's eccentricities.

I used to like Malick as a director but after his last couple of movies he seems to become a pretentious parody of himself.

Tree of life was a great experience with and without maryjane.

Badlands is great.

I love everything from Malick, except for the films after The Thin Red Line.

I still need to see Days of Heaven.

I bet the wheat shots are beautiful. Lawd.

giphy.gif

At first I thought that synopsis was a joke from a site like Cracked.com. Whoever wrote that had to be taking a shot at Malick's eccentricities.

Yeah, it does read like that. ONCE AGAIN, Malick follows his lead around with a camera while no one talks and the only dialogue comes from voiceovers while we get shots of random things and it's your job to try and figure out what it all means and if you can't then Malick thinks you're stupid.

Yeah, it does read like that. ONCE AGAIN, Malick follows his lead around with a camera while no one talks and the only dialogue comes from voiceovers while we get shots of random things and it's your job to try and figure out what it all means and if you can't then Malick thinks you're stupid.

I'm now picturing Malick sitting beside someone watching KoC and laughing in their face every time they look confused.

Hahaha me too.

I wish Malick or David Lynch would make a movie with completely random sh** happening that deliberately makes no sense whatsoever and then just laugh their asses off as pretentious film bloggers go out of their minds trying to explain the greater meaning of the film.

Wow, design wise it's a lovely poster. Don't know what the **** it means, but it looks wonderful.

The Independent's review

In synopsis, Terrence Malick’s Knight of Cups (premiering in the Berlin Festival competition) sounds like a seamy erotic thriller. A single man, Rick (Christian Bale), is living near the sea in Santa Monica and trying to make sense of his life by having affairs with as many beautiful women as possible. He is getting over a broken marriage (to Cate Blanchett) and is still tormented by incidents in his family’s past, in particular his relationship with his father (Brian Dennehy.)

This, though, is Malick in impressionistic mode. The director pays little attention to conventional narrative as he trawls for epiphanies and moments of cinematic rapture. He doesn’t give his impressive cast – Bale, Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Antonio Banderas, Imogen Poots, Wes Bentley – much to work with either. Dialogue is limited and elliptical. There is not much in the way of contextualisation or back story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"