• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breaking Bad - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really was so weird going from immediately watching Breaking Bad to Dexter which was just sooooo unbelievably inferior there at the end it was crazy in comparison. The drop in the quality of story was just insane

I never got more than 2-3 episodes into the first season. The entire show (Dexter) rubbed me the wrong way almost immediately.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I only got through the first episode though.

The first four seasons were really good. Sure it got bad at the end but you should at least give seasons 1-4 a fair shot.

The first four seasons were really good. Sure it got bad at the end but you should at least give seasons 1-4 a fair shot.

Jesus, for a moment I thought you meant BRBA.

That being said, I never got past the first season of Dexter. Never really cared for it, so outside S1 I can't say much about the show.

Walter deserved to die, Jesse deserved to live.

Now there's an interesting discussion. Because while Walter certainly deserved his comeuppance for any number of terrible things, it wasn't like Jesse was entirely innocent either. Sure he was manipulated, under enormous pressure, kind of an idiot, and several other loose justifications, but he took part in some rather heinous stuff, not the least of which was murdering Gale. And Gale, aside from being a meth cook, was basically innocent as far as we know.

So while Jesse was certainly a more likeable character than Walter (especially by the end) is likeability alone enough that we can say he deserved to not only live, but get away clean(ish)? What if we don't take into account likeability, or even reason, and simply lay out the actions of each character -Walter still deserves his death- but does Jesse still deserve his life?

:cwink:

[YT]ovqM72em1dA[/YT]

Cranston and Paul should do every future project together. Paul should have been in Godzilla! :cmad:

Would have been cool, I love Godzilla but one of my complaints is not enough Cranston, his role was far too limited.

Now there's an interesting discussion. Because while Walter certainly deserved his comeuppance for any number of terrible things, it wasn't like Jesse was entirely innocent either. Sure he was manipulated, under enormous pressure, kind of an idiot, and several other loose justifications, but he took part in some rather heinous stuff, not the least of which was murdering Gale. And Gale, aside from being a meth cook, was basically innocent as far as we know.

So while Jesse was certainly a more likeable character than Walter (especially by the end) is likeability alone enough that we can say he deserved to not only live, but get away clean(ish)? What if we don't take into account likeability, or even reason, and simply lay out the actions of each character -Walter still deserves his death- but does Jesse still deserve his life?
Yeah, it's always weird that people think of Jesse as some innocent angel. The same with Skyler. Granted, I don't think Skyler deserves to die, but I do think Jesse deserves a death sentence for his crimes(or life in prison), and Skyler deserves a few years prison sentence. And if Walt lived, he deserved to die or life in prison too, but he's the only one who got what he deserved. Everybody else got off way too easy.

Breaking Bad as a series is not really a trial. There is a lot more going on than just the facts and circumstances. Killing was hard for Jesse, and when he finally did it, it effected him in the complete opposite way as Walter. He carried around the guilt and the shame and it colored everything he did from then on out. Watching, appreciating, and judging a drama should be about more than the letter of the law.

Yeah I know, it affected him so much, that he went to meth meetings to sell people drugs when they were trying to get clean. What a nice guy he was. :o

Yeah I know, it affected him so much, that he went to meth meetings to sell people drugs when they were trying to get clean. What a nice guy he was. :o

:whatever:
Didn't call him a nice guy. Didn't call him innocent. Just said the letter of the law doesn't interest me when it comes to a drama about criminals. Obviously, they should be arrested, they're criminals. But the show isn't CSI.

Just watched the entire series from the weekend to Yesterday
and EFFIN WOW !!!!

I'm glad I watched it the way I did the anticipation to wait for next episode or next season it would have been torture

Yeah, it's always weird that people think of Jesse as some innocent angel. The same with Skyler. Granted, I don't think Skyler deserves to die, but I do think Jesse deserves a death sentence for his crimes(or life in prison), and Skyler deserves a few years prison sentence. And if Walt lived, he deserved to die or life in prison too, but he's the only one who got what he deserved. Everybody else got off way too easy.

Skyler's a whole kettle of fish. She laundered money, aided and abetted, but weren't her crimes mostly victimless (at least directly)? This also goes back to what I was saying about likeability, Skyler wasn't liked by many viewers, but she was also stuck between a rock and a hard place a lot of the time. Were her crimes justified? Did she really deserve any kind of punishment, or was she a victim of circumstance?

Breaking Bad as a series is not really a trial. There is a lot more going on than just the facts and circumstances. Killing was hard for Jesse, and when he finally did it, it effected him in the complete opposite way as Walter. He carried around the guilt and the shame and it colored everything he did from then on out. Watching, appreciating, and judging a drama should be about more than the letter of the law.

You don't say? :o

:whatever:
Didn't call him a nice guy. Didn't call him innocent. Just said the letter of the law doesn't interest me when it comes to a drama about criminals. Obviously, they should be arrested, they're criminals. But the show isn't CSI.

If it doesn't interest you, ignore the discussion. We're interested, so we'll keep talking about it.

Skyler's a whole kettle of fish. She laundered money, aided and abetted, but weren't her crimes mostly victimless (at least directly)? This also goes back to what I was saying about likeability, Skyler wasn't liked by many viewers, but she was also stuck between a rock and a hard place a lot of the time. Were her crimes justified? Did she really deserve any kind of punishment, or was she a victim of circumstance?

There was not a character of this show that wasn't multi-faceted and complex. Everyone within Walt's circle got dragged down with him in one way or another. In the case of Skyler the motivations behind her actions always made sense, even if what she was doing was wrong. Even as petulant as her affair was it made a kind of emotional sense as a result of Walt essentially holding her hostage within their marriage. In terms of comeuppance I think she was punished with having her family being torn apart and being financially compromised. It may not have been as fair a punishment as was needed for something like Ted getting permanent brain damage but I got the impression by the end of the show that Skyler had such emptiness and self-loathing within her that it made her transgressions matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"