BREAKING NEWS: Russia invades Georgia

Recent news coverage of the worrying ground war between Russia and Georgia could well leave gamers with a sense of deja vu.

The South Ossetia war, which began on August 7, bears a close resemblance to events portrayed in the 2001 Xbox and Playstation 2 game "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon," the first level of which takes place against the backdrop of a struggle between Georgian rebel forces and the legitimate Georgian government in the South Ossetian region.

Ghost Recon's plot follows these skirmishes with a full-scale Russian invasion of the region, a subsequent evacuation of US forces, and ultimately the fall of the Georgian government. Ghost Recon almost got the timescale right, too: the game's imaginary events begin in April 2008, just a few months before the real war kicked off.

If Ghost Recon's uncanny trend continues, we can expect the South Ossetia conflict to culminate in a dramatic assault on Red Square and the Kremlin by NATO troops -- spearheaded by an elite US special forces team under the control of a pimply fourteen-year-old with a joypad. Considering that the most recent game in the Ghost Recon series climaxes with an oh-so-narrowly-averted terrorist nuclear strike on the US, we hope the predictive power of the game runs out. Soon.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/georgia-russia-conflict-predicted-in-2001-video-game/1237410

While Clancy is by no means a great author some of his social predictions come pretty close. 911 was predicted in Debt of Honor a few years before just with different attackers.

Why do we, the U.S., insist on rattling our sabre over Georgia? To the point where we put Russia in a corner? I realize Georgia, the birthplace of Stalin and where he is honored with Town Squares named after him in the Capital, is such a long standing ally of ours - I mean, hey they did send 1,800 troops to Iraq - and they did start shelling S. Ossetia first as everyone agrees.

Seriously, if Mexico fired a few rockets into Texas killing hundreds maybe thousands of Americans, I think we'd be sending troops across the border. And if we wanted to make Mexico sweat a little for their actions by maybe giving the impression that we might just march all the way to Mexico City, I think if Moscow stepped in and said anything, we'd have a BIG problem with tt. No?

I mean this is a country right on their border, trying to enter NATO, an organization inherently anti-Russian, That instigates a surge, gets repelled, and then cries foul when pushed back. That is the "Beacon Of Democracy" we want to uphold? A nation that starts a fight, apparently against our express instructions, cuts and runs, and then calls on the World for help against the "aggressors"???

And the talk about "respecting the integrity of sovereign nation's borders." Oh my God! Is this the flat out craziest Administration? Or do the Neocons just not care and they will do whatever damage they can on the way out??? I am not sure.

Even putting aside Afghanistan, and even Iraq, what about Yugoslavia? NATO didn't respect their integrity in carving them up. When The KLA "Kosovo Liberation Army" started blowing up police stations (we might call that "terrorism" here) They were supported, ultimately getting their way. So Russia went home with their tails between their legs back then over Yugoslavia. Now we go so far as to inch right up to their border and preach about "This is not The Cold War" and "their will be no aatellite atates or 'spheres of influence' any longer." Apparently just not for them. Our sphere just happens to now be the entire sphere I guess.

Regarding your signature, Caine is probably right.

Seriously, if Mexico fired a few rockets into Texas killing hundreds maybe thousands of Americans, I think we'd be sending troops across the border. And if we wanted to make Mexico sweat a little for their actions by maybe giving the impression that we might just march all the way to Mexico City, I think if Moscow stepped in and said anything, we'd have a BIG problem with tt. No?

The difference is that Georgia did not attack Russian territory. Georgia attacked it's own territory, and in the process killed a couple Russian peacekeepers, and then Russia started attacking Georgia.

As stated earlier, there have been instances where US peacekeepers were killed in volatile areas, but the US didn't respond by invasion.

The difference is that Georgia did not attack Russian territory. Georgia attacked it's own territory, and in the process killed a couple Russian peacekeepers, and then Russia started attacking Georgia.

As stated earlier, there have been instances where US peacekeepers were killed in volatile areas, but the US didn't respond by invasion.

YOU ARE CORRCT. S. OSSETIA IS IN GEORGIA. THE PROBLEM IS, WHEN THE SOVIET BLOC BROKE UP, GEORGIA PROPER CONTAINED TWO REGIONS WITH PRIMARILY ETYHNIC RUSSIANS WHO WANTED NO PART OF BEING PART OF GEORGIA. THAT PROBLEM ACTUALLY EXISTS IN SEVERAL OTHER OLD SOVIET BLOC STATES.
IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, THE GEORGIANS AGREED TO ALLOW THESE TWO REGIONS TO REMAIN COMPLETELY AUTONOMOUS, AND TO ALLOW RUSSIAN PEACEKEEPERS TO REMAIN THERE UNDER AGREEMENT. OF COURSE NO ONE WAS REALLY HAPPY WITH THE ARRANGEMENT. THERE HAVE BEEN HOSTILITIES BETWEEN FREEDOM FIGHTERS IN S. OSSETIA AND THE GEORGIANS.
FOR WHATEVER REASON LAST WEEK GEORGIA UPPED THE ANTE AND INSTIGATED A FULL SCALE BOMBING OF S. OSSETIA. THE RUSSIANS RESPONDED BY SENDING TROOPS OVER THE BORDER INTO THOSE REGIONS, AND BEYOND.

PERSONALLY I THINK IT WAS A TACTICAL MOVE ON THEIR PART TO TEST THE RESOLVE OF THE EU, U.S., AND NATO DUE TO THE UPCOMING DECISION TO INCLUDE GEORGIA INTO NATO, WHICH OBVIOUSLY RUSSIA OPPOSES. NOTICE HOW QUICK PRESIDENTS OF UKRAINE, LITHUANIA, LATVIA, ESTONIA, ETC. HAVE RALLIED, CAUSE THEY REALIZE WHAT IS AT STAKE. TO ME IT IS OLD SCHOOL POLITICS BY A LITTLE NATION PLAYING RUSSIA AND THE U.S. AGAINST EACH OTHER.
RUSSIA HAS TAKEN FULL ADVANTAGE TO SAY HEY, DON'T JUST ASSUME YOU CAN CONTNUE TO TREAD ON US, AND TO SHOW THEY WILL ALSO USE FORCE WHEN NECESSARY, LIKE YOU KNOW WHO. EVEN UNBEKNOWNST TO ME, APPARENTLY THEY HAVE SPENT THE LAST FEW YEARS AND THAT OIL MONEY TO REBUILD THEIR ARMED FORCES, WHICH JUST A DECADE AGO WAS IN COMPLETE DISSARRAY

If Georgia wants to join NATO, it has every right to do so, even if Russia doesn't like it. If a country's military is in complete disarray, it has every right to rebuild it's military.

Again, using the death of peacekeepers as a reason to attack another country has never been done before.

Until Russia got involved, it was nothing more than internal problems in Georgia, and there are examples of internal problems in other nations that didn't need another nation getting involved.

As it is favourable to think Russia an aggressor. You are not right....You listen only to damned mass-media!
...You saw as Georgia's soldiers hurt women and children?...And you still dare to despise and hate us!
I have friends in Ossetia and Georgia.

I'm mainly just reading as I have very little knowledge in this affair and I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth.

I do want to say tho the the people in the US, don't hate Russia. The ppl as a mass may have a dislike or lack of trust in governments, whether our own or foreign, but we don't hate the ppl. I'm from the US, and I can easily say that hurting children or innocent civillians on any side in any country is as low as you can go. I pray, and hope you and your friends will be safe.

You're right that we can't understand what you're going thru, we're outsiders looking in, but our opinions on the matter are not directed towards the ppl themselves.

Holy crap...I thought Russia was invading the States!

Could have specified in the thread title :cmad:

Lol, my Mom's co-worker said something similar to that. Her relative heard this and went outside holding a phone and said she didn't see any Russians. My mom's co-worker had to inform her there's another Georgia :).

Even tho it's a serious situation, it makes me crack up thinking that some ppl in the state of Georgia in the US probably panicked thinking they were being invaded.

Lol, my Mom's co-worker said something similar to that. Her relative heard this and went outside holding a phone and said she didn't see any Russians. My mom's co-worker had to inform her there's another Georgia :).

Even tho it's a serious situation, it makes me crack up thinking that some ppl in the state of Georgia in the US probably panicked thinking they were being invaded.

As an educator, that scares me more than makes me laugh.....:csad:

It's sad, but I've numbed to it. Tho sometimes I wonder if it's the World that's changed, or my view of it? Ppl didn't seem so....dense....15 years ago, however talk like this is becoming pretty commonplace anymore.

For evidence of this I suggest watching the "Rainbow conspiracy lady" video on Youtube. Dear God....The lady records a sprinkler because a rainbow had formed in the droplets. She talks about how "Rainbows didn't form so close to the ground 20 years ago", and says the government must be putting something in our water to allow that to happen. It's good for a laugh, and a bit disturbing at the same time.

What makes me sad is that according to NCLB, that person's offspring is supposed to be achieving 100% on tests and in school.

What makes me sad is that according to NCLB, that person's offspring is supposed to be achieving 100% on tests and in school.

Yeah, well, that's a whole other debate that I'm holding elsewhere.......:cwink:

Yep....

Damn Supes.....your sig is freaking me out, it takes up half my page....:csad:

Y'know what they say about a man with a BIG sig, huh?
evilgrin0010.gif

Anyway, stupid joke aside, this is a very interesting "loss of feed". Quite convenient...

[YT]WtdVS8646GI[/YT]

Y'know what they say about a man with a BIG sig, huh?
evilgrin0010.gif

Anyway, stupid joke aside, this is a very interesting "loss of feed". Quite convenient...

lol, well stay away from Morg, he'll infract ya for sig violation....:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"