TN Mother Sends her Adoptive Son Back to Russia

AG1973

Civilian
Reaction score
MOSCOW — Russia threatened to suspend all child adoptions by U.S. families Friday after a 7-year-old boy adopted by a woman from Tennessee was sent alone on a one-way flight back to Moscow with a note saying he was violent and had severe psychological problems.
The boy, Artyom Savelyev, was put on a plane by his adopted grandmother, Nancy Hansen of Shelbyville.

"He drew a picture of our house burning down and he'll tell anybody that he's going to burn our house down with us in it," she told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It got to be where you feared for your safety. It was terrible."

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the actions by the grandmother "the last straw" in a string of U.S. adoptions gone wrong, including three in which Russian children had died in the U.S. In an exclusive interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, Dmitry Medvedev said the boy "fell into a very bad family."

"It is a monstrous deed on the part of his adoptive parents, to take the kid and virtually throw him out with the airplane in the opposite direction and to say, 'I'm sorry I could not cope with it, take everything back' is not only immoral but also against the law," Medvedev said.

The cases have prompted outrage in Russia, where foreign adoption failures are reported prominently. Russian main TV networks ran extensive reports on the latest incident in their main evening news shows.

The Russian education ministry immediately suspended the license of the group involved in the adoption – the World Association for Children and Parents, a Renton, Washington-based agency – for the duration of an investigation. In Tennessee, authorities were investigating the adoptive mother, Torry Hansen, 33.

Any possible freeze could affect hundreds of American families. Last year, nearly 1,600 Russian children were adopted in the United States, and more than 60,000 Russian orphans have been successfully adopted there, according to the National Council For Adoption, a U.S. adoption advocacy nonprofit group.

The Kremlin children's rights office said the boy was carrying a letter from his adoptive mother saying she was returning him due to severe psychological problems.

"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues," the letter said. "I was lied to and misled by the Russian Orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability and other issues. ...

"After giving my best to this child, I am sorry to say that for the safety of my family, friends, and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/09/american-torryann-hansen-_n_531477.html

I have friends that addopted a child from Russia about two years ago. They love their adoptive son he has really become part of the family. I cannot imagine people putting a 7-year old on a plane by himself to Moscow. The adoptive mother said that the 7-year old that she adopted in September of 09 was psychologicaly unstable.

The reason I posted this story is the fact that Russia is considering freezing adoptions of Russian Children to the U.S. in the wake of this event. This has the making of an international incident IMO.

Last edited:
International incident. Maybe. Maybe Russia refuses to allow anymore children to be adopted by the US. Awesome. Maybe that will keep people from adopting Russian kids and they can start adopting American kids.

I know lots of people that have adopted from overseas and while I respect anyone who adopts and I certainly admire the courage of adopting children... however why do people always look so far away for needy children when there are plenty right here.

International incident. Maybe. Maybe Russia refuses to allow anymore children to be adopted by the US. Awesome. Maybe that will keep people from adopting Russian kids and they can start adopting American kids.

I know lots of people that have adopted from overseas and while I respect anyone who adopts and I certainly admire the courage of adopting children... however why do people always look so far away for needy children when there are plenty right here.

I agree with you 100% if my wife and ever decided to adopt we would look for a child right here in the U.S. because there are plenty of them.

The friend that I spoke of in my earlier post told me that it was easier to adopt out of the U.S. and, they were put on a very long wiating list to get the type of American child they wanted.

When he said that to me I wanted to ask him what he meant but I decided that it would be best for me not to go there.

If a couple decides to adopt a US kid or a kid from another country, that's their business.

As for this "family" from Tennessee, adoption is one of those transaction that doesn't have a return policy.

Last edited:

American kids are lazy, disrespectful and smelly. Just look at any high school.

Disgusting that someone just tried to return an adopted child like this, like a defunct TV set or lemon car. I know they are being investigated by local, state, and federal authorities, but I don't understand why they were not arrested for child endangerment and most notably abandonment.

In America, the mother can still change her mind and decide to take the child back after you've had them in your home for 6 months, more or less depending on the laws of the home state. The expense is far greater as in some cases you pay or help pay for the birth and hospital visits. Imagine shelling out 30,000, and having the mother change her mind or the grandma decide she'll take the baby after you've had it in your home for 6 months. You don't get your money back.

There is also a selection as you have to interview and compete with other families for the mother to decide if she wants you to adopt her child. More income = better chance at convincing the mother that you'd be a great parent.

We weren't against it, but I decided that I'd rather avoid the possible violence that would surely occur if someone decided to come into our home and take our baby. Granted, it doesn't happen much, but I'd rather it not happen at all.

It looks like things were going so well with this kid just a little over 4 months ago that this woman started the adoption process for ANOTHER Russian kid! So this kid must have become a problem recently. Personally, I believe this has the stink of Religious fanaticism all over it, especially since she had to go outside the country for the adoption.

This woman should be locked up! especially since what I also heard, legal experts say he was American because of the adoption.

Last edited:
If he was completely adopted he would've been an American citizen. I'm pretty sure that sending your kid to Moscow on a one-way-don't-come-back-you-crazy-red ticket is probably a crime.

But this woman and her mother are still free, and apparently looking to "try out another one". These people need to be red flagged by the State Department ASAP to block any adaptions outside the country.

These people should not be allowed to adopt any child - whether healthy or unstable, American or otherwise - ever again.

These people should not be allowed to adopt any child - whether healthy or unstable, American or otherwise - ever again.

well, if anything this case has opened peoples eyes to some of the issues going on with international adoption. And I have to say, it's incredibly disappointing but I guess necessary to know who the people are that think you should be able to return a kid like this. I really think some people watch a movie like The Good Son or Orphan and think that's what happened with this kid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"