Brie Larson is Captain Marvel!

When she needed to be quiet and contemplative, she was. When she needed to explode with action, she did. When she needed to crack a smile, it was there. When she needed to scream back at a Skrull before kicking it into next week, it went. When she needed her boots, she got them, and when she needed to get a video she went told school with Blockbuster.

I'm in the Like column.:grin:

Larson took the role too seriously? Wtf?
I dunno, she said Captain Marvel was going to be "the biggest feminist movie of all time". So yeah, sounds like someone thought she was making high art.

Instead she just ended up contributing to making the worst reviewed movie of Phase 3.

I dunno, she said Captain Marvel was going to be "the biggest feminist movie of all time". So yeah, sounds like someone thought she was making high art.

Instead she just ended up contributing to making the worst reviewed movie of Phase 3.
Honestly Captain Marvel never felt like a "feminist" movie to me and it felt more like another MCU movie that I've seen many times before. But she was just trying to promote a movie and this is Marvel Studio's first solo female movie so of course she would make Captain Marvel seem like a big deal, nothing wrong with that. I wasn't a huge fan of her performance but Brie Larson (and the movie itself) is getting unnecessary hate by folks on the internet.

Man, you are making it so obvious now..
What. What am I making obvious. That I'm really bitter because Marvel spectacularly failed to give me a good movie about my favorite female superhero? Because they didn't even TRY to make a good movie, and instead just decided to half-ass the whole thing?

Well yeah, I sure hope I made that obvious. I can make it even more obvious if necessary. And last time I checked this forum wasn't only for positive opinions.

When she needed to be quiet and contemplative, she was. When she needed to explode with action, she did. When she needed to crack a smile, it was there. When she needed to scream back at a Skrull before kicking it into next week, it went. When she needed her boots, she got them, and when she needed to get a video she went told school with Blockbuster.

I'm in the Like column.:grin:
Loved the screaming at a Skrull moment.
LOVED IT!

Loved the screaming at a Skrull moment.
LOVED IT!
tumblr_pmrsj8hdkN1tlgqkgo1_400.gif

Yeah but not many were unhappy with the performance itself.

Almost as if there was some factor that is a difference between Cumberbatch and Larson. You didn't enjoy it, fine. But be wary about bringing others to back you up. You may be siding with a group your really don't want to align with.

Honestly Captain Marvel never felt like a "feminist" movie to me and it felt more like another MCU movie that I've seen many times before. But she was just trying to promote a movie and this is Marvel Studio's first solo female movie so of course she would make Captain Marvel seem like a big deal, nothing wrong with that. I wasn't a huge fan of her performance but Brie Larson (and the movie itself) is getting unnecessary hate by folks on the internet.

Nah, it wore its feminism on its sleeve.

Link?

It did seem to have a message of empowerment for women...and that's FINE.

Sci-Fi has DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP roots in telling stories with a social/political message.

Based on trailers and marketing, I distinctly remember a lot of talk about how Larson didn't seem interested in the role, and didn't really care, now the problem is that she cared too much.

Even just observing this stuff is exhausting. I can only imagine having to deal with it on a regular basis.

It's almost as if that's what the movie was about. But I'll have to watch it again, just to be sure :cwink:

It did seem to have a message of empowerment for women...and that's FINE.

Sci-Fi has DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP roots in telling stories with a social/political message.
Agreeing with your point, Star Trek says hi.

To me at many points Larson ELEVATED the movie especially when it started to feel flat or during scenes such as the revelation to what actually happened to her when she was on Earth and remembers who she was. Larson was dynamite in those scenes and even managed to sell most of the corny jokes and humor.

To me at many points Larson ELEVATED the movie especially when it started to feel flat or during scenes such as the revelation to what actually happened to her when she was on Earth and remembers who she was. Larson was dynamite in those scenes and even managed to sell most of the corny jokes and humor.
Exactly.
Marvel knew what they were doing by hiring her.
They knew that the audience would connect with Brie.

Almost as if there was some factor that is a difference between Cumberbatch and Larson. You didn't enjoy it, fine. But be wary about bringing others to back you up. You may be siding with a group your really don't want to align with.
I was talking about critics. Some of which women.

Ah sorry, she wasn't the one who said it. Marvel said it to her when they pitched her the movie. It's both hilarious and infuriating, considering how inoffensive the movie ended up being.

Nah, it wore its feminism on its sleeve.
Nah to me it was just another inoffensive and formulaic Marvel film. There were elements of feminism in the film but it wasn't really prominent as how others have claimed it to be.

Ah sorry, she wasn't the one who said it. Marvel said it to her when they pitched her the movie. It's both hilarious and infuriating, considering how inoffensive the movie ended up being.

A feminist message shouldn't offend.

Nah to me it was just another inoffensive and formulaic Marvel film. There were elements of feminism in the film but it wasn't really prominent as how others have claimed it to be.

It was the focus of the entire frikkin' flick. A male colleague who she thought was an ally
gaslighted our heroine by convinced Carol's/Vers' that her emotions were a problem, lied to her, sabotaged her, and stole her power. Add to that the flashbacks showing how male colleagues and even her father diminished her....
and it's all super obvious. I found it helpful to discuss the film with my wife after we both watched and enjoyed the film.

Last edited:
A feminist message shouldn't offend.

It was the focus of the entire frikkin' flick. A male colleague who she thought was an ally
gaslighted our heroine by convinced Carol's/Vers' that her emotions were a problem, lied to her, sabotaged her, and stole her power. Add to that the flashbacks showing how male colleagues and even her father diminished her....
and it's all super obvious. I found it helpful to discuss the film with my wife after we both watched and enjoyed the film.

Like I've said before there was elements of feminism but I personally didn't feel that it was the main focus of the film and it was just another another superhero movie that happen to have a female lead, that's all.
Yon-Rogg gaslighting Carol isn't isn't that much different from what Ra's Al Ghul was trying to do to Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.

I'm happy that you feel that Captain Marvel is a feminist movie and that you enjoyed it with your wife, I totally respect your opinion but I just don't have a connection with the movie nor do I see it as a deep movie. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:
No one watches superhero movies for their subtle acting. We watch them for the larger-than-life characters. We want funny faces and dramatic expressions.

A good performance doesn't have to be subtle, just ask RDJ. Maybe someone should've told the directors and Larson that this wasn't supposed to be an indie drama.

Wow, that is a ...hot take. No, "we" do NOT want funny faces and dramatic expressions, lol. Unless it's absolutely called for. A good performance does have to be subtle, at least in some way. It has to be thoroughly believable, and subtlety goes a very long way in that. I tend to prefer Comicbook movies that do take themselves at least a little bit seriously, so I loved Brie in the role. The only hate I'm seeing for her are from people who don't understand that subtlety aspect. Which, the MCU really doesn't have much of, so I guess I understand.

Am I seriously being explained what subtle performances are by someone who has Robbie's Harley Quinn as their avatar.

The truth is, given the nature of the character she was playing, Larson's performance needed to be much less restrained. That's why she's getting criticized.

But okay, keep being convinced that the only people who aren't happy with her are dumb and evil and that her performance was "2deep4u". Whatever makes you sleep at night, I guess.

Last edited:
Am I seriously being explained what subtle performances are by someone who has Robbie's Harley Quinn as their avatar.

The truth is, given the nature of the character she was playing, Larson's performance needed to be much less restrained. That's why she's getting criticized.

But okay, keep being convinced that the only people who aren't happy with her are dumb and evil and that her performance was "2deep4u". Whatever makes you sleep at night, I guess.
No need to be rude or judge someone based solely on their avatar.

If she cares too much, she’s “taking it too seriously” but if she isn’t, I can guarantee there will be “phoning it in” or “cartoonish” complaints as well.

Bottomline is, Brie’s performance didn’t work for some and found her wooden but it also worked for some (me included) and they found it nuanced and effective. Neither is wrong or right. Well, I’m always right but whatever... This is not a hill I’m going to die on. :o

Its silly seeing someone being attacked just because they either like or dislike Larson's peformance. If you enjoyed her performance then great, if you didn't like her in the role then that's also fine. I agree that there's no right or wrong answers, its all just opinions.

I agree with you that Larson wasn't great in the role but let's not insult others for having a different opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"