Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Vampire - Part 3

I personally would still like to know how did the monks get a sample of Buffy’s DNA to transform the Key into Dawn.
Swiped a hair brush from her house, obviously. :o

^ I wondered about that too.

And since Angel is still on the brain, how did Angel get into Kates apartment to save her when she never invited him in?
They talked about that in the episode. It's meant to be a miracle or essentially a sign that the PTB's still care.

I personally would still like to know how did the monks get a sample of Buffy’s DNA to transform the Key into Dawn.
Since I just watched that season I really should know this but… Did Buffy mention “DNA,” explicitly? There was certainly talk of Dawn (somehow) being made from Buffy — of Buffy’s blood, of Summers’ blood, etc. And from there, one might infer a genetic basis to the magic. But I don’t recall anyone getting into science-y specifics. In their brief appearance, the monks (speaking mostly Czech apparently) kept the mystical exposition pretty vague.

Last edited:
I’m not too hot about a Spike-centric story, but hey, it’s going to have a parallel universe where Cordy is a slayer, so it has my curiosity lol.

But seriously, Disney should do so much more with this franchise. So many different stories you can tell.
I was shocked when it was announced, used a credit on Auidble straightaway for it. An elseworlds type Buffyverse is money to me. Sucks that James isn't back though.

In regards Disney, I think they should take their sweet time in producing a show or film. I really want them to get it right as it's a potentially huge IP for them.

Even if you exclude the villains (many of whom seemed to know the Slayer’s civilian identity), the tombstone is highly problematic for the general public (Buffy’s dad, Dawn’s teachers, etc.) who assumed Buffy, because of the Bot, was alive and well. The issue is entirely avoided by not having a tombstone.

Your other point is kinda valid. Buffy, herself, assumes that if she were to die (again) a new slayer would be called — yet she doesn’t question why one wasn’t called after her previous demise. Fans, of course, have solved the problem: Buffy was no longer in the True Slayer line; Faith occupied that role.
Yes. a slayer imprison for gods knows how long will have a lot to contribute in the fight against vampires, demons etc, especially in hell's mouths.

Yes. a slayer imprison for gods knows how long will have a lot to contribute in the fight against vampires, demons etc, especially in hell's mouths.
Well, we might surmise that the Mystical Force which summons a new Slayer when the prior one croaks isn’t too bright. :cwink: After all, back in season one, Buffy was “dead” for only a couple of minutes and then fully resuscitated. Nevertheless, Kendra was activated. Then, when Kendra died, Faith was called as the next Slayer — even though Buffy was alive, well and still on the job. Finally, when Buffy died again (this time for 147 days according to Spike) there’s no indication that a replacement Slayer was ever activated. Presumably, this is because the Mystical Force recognized that the true Slayer line resides in Faith; and she didn’t die. Thus, apparently, the Mystical Force didn’t know — or didn’t care — that Faith was incarcerated.

I was shocked when it was announced, used a credit on Auidble straightaway for it. An elseworlds type Buffyverse is money to me. Sucks that James isn't back though.

In regards Disney, I think they should take their sweet time in producing a show or film. I really want them to get it right as it's a potentially huge IP for them.

SMG isn’t coming back to reprise her role as Buffy Summers, at least not with Joss hanging around. That said, I could see her doing something like Audible. And casting anyone else as Buffy would be like recasting Lucy Lawless as Xena — the actress is that synonymous with the role.

And James Marsters is back as Spike in “Slayers.”

Even if you exclude the villains (many of whom seemed to know the Slayer’s civilian identity), the tombstone is highly problematic for the general public (Buffy’s dad, Dawn’s teachers, etc.) who assumed Buffy, because of the Bot, was alive and well. The issue is entirely avoided by not having a tombstone.
Your other point is kinda valid. Buffy, herself, assumes that if she were to die (again) a new slayer would be called — yet she doesn’t question why one wasn’t called after her previous demise. Fans, of course, have solved the problem: Buffy was no longer in the True Slayer line; Faith occupied that role.

Her tombstone is only slightly an issue if it is found. It was put in a discrete place and a way for her friends to honor her. Would it be safer if they didnt do a tombstone? Sure. But not like the thing was in a graveyard or frequented place. Someone would have to actually know who Buffy even was to even really care. But I think it was a very human thing of the Scoobies to do (they were 20yrs old at this point after all)
ex
SMG isn’t coming back to reprise her role as Buffy Summers, at least not with Joss hanging around. That said, I could see her doing something like Audible. And casting anyone else as Buffy would be like recasting Lucy Lawless as Xena — the actress is that synonymous with the role.

And James Marsters is back as Spike in “Slayers.”

They've already recast SMG twice now with Buffy related content. The animated pilot - EVERYONE returned sans her and they got voice actress for the role. Chaos Bleeds - EVERYONE returned sans her and they got a voice actress so this wouldnt be anything new.

Sarah very much likely does not care if Joss is involved or not. She's never been interested in returning to the role of Buffy. She's made every excuse known to man as to why she's not reprising the role.

Reactions: Dr.
They've already recast SMG twice now with Buffy related content. The animated pilot - EVERYONE returned sans her and they got voice actress for the role. Chaos Bleeds - EVERYONE returned sans her and they got a voice actress so this wouldnt be anything new.

I'm not talking about animation (the voice actress that matched her was good!) and video games, but if Disney tried a live action Buffy revival series.

I'm not talking about animation (the voice actress that matched her was good!) and video games, but if Disney tried a live action Buffy revival series.
Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the audio series.

Honestly they should focus on the past for awhile instead of focusing on Buffy or "present" day if we were to ever to get more live action in this universe. Disney not using it as their version of Doctor Who to a degree...is stupid on their part.

Her tombstone is only slightly an issue if it is found. It was put in a discrete place and a way for her friends to honor her. Would it be safer if they didnt do a tombstone? Sure. But not like the thing was in a graveyard or frequented place. Someone would have to actually know who Buffy even was to even really care. But I think it was a very human thing of the Scoobies to do (they were 20yrs old at this point after all)
Point taken. :toth

But compared to the series’ other minor “mistakes” — which I mentioned before, and which might be easily ignored, forgiven or rationalized — the tombstone “issue” struck me as particularly problematic. Reason being… the ruse that Buffy was still alive (when she wasn’t) was such an important part of the early season six arc, that anything which contradicted this ruse was (for me) especially conspicuous.

The notion that the gravesite was remote is perhaps one way to rationalize the explicit tombstone epitaph. But the site couldn’t have been that remote. After all, those demons — who were randomly pillaging Sunnydale — didn’t have much difficulty riding their motorbikes around and over Buffy’s final resting place.

Another thing that occurred to me (admittedly, only after several viewings)… Buffy was buried in what appeared to be a standard casket. She was also wearing a tasteful dress, hose and pumps. Pretty mundane stuff for a professional mortician and funeral director. But kind of weirdly specific and formal if improvised by the Scooby Gang who, ostensibly, were trying to keep their friend’s death top secret. Granted, if the tombstone is a non-negotiable, then those other details follow the same “logic.” In for a penny, in for a pound.

Point taken. :toth

But compared to the series’ other minor “mistakes” — which I mentioned before, and which might be easily ignored, forgiven or rationalized — the tombstone “issue” struck me as particularly problematic. Reason being… the ruse that Buffy was still alive (when she wasn’t) was such an important part of the early season six arc, that anything which contradicted this ruse was (for me) especially conspicuous.

The notion that the gravesite was remote is perhaps one way to rationalize the explicit tombstone epitaph. But the site couldn’t have been that remote. After all, those demons — who were randomly pillaging Sunnydale — didn’t have much difficulty riding their motorbikes around and over Buffy’s final resting place.

Another thing that occurred to me (admittedly, only after several viewings)… Buffy was buried in what appeared to be a standard casket. She was also wearing a tasteful dress, hose and pumps. Pretty mundane stuff for a professional mortician and funeral director. But kind of weirdly specific and formal if improvised by the Scooby Gang who, ostensibly, were trying to keep their friend’s death top secret. Granted, if the tombstone is a non-negotiable, then those other details follow the same “logic.” In for a penny, in for a pound.

I wouldnt be surprised if Willow used magic to dress Buffy or if Anya did it. But with no original plan to bring her back at the time of her death they arent going to treat her like crap when burying her.

I wouldnt be surprised if Willow used magic to dress Buffy or if Anya did it. But with no original plan to bring her back at the time of her death they arent going to treat her like crap when burying her.
In thinking about an alternate scenario (which would satisfy my nitpicky-ness :word:), the dénouement of Logan came to mind.

Logan-Death.jpg

Namely, an improvised grave (which might pass for a natural formation). Plus, some unique marker which honors the fallen hero — but wouldn’t mean much to any random passersby. And since Xander is a carpenter, he could have fashioned a plain wooden coffin. Assuming such modest alterations, the dramatic resurrection events depicted in “Bargaining Pt.1” could still be more-or-less the same.

Finally finished my rewatch of "Buffy, the vampire slayer" and i have to say... unlike my rewatch of "Angel", a while ago, i didn't want to quit after season 3. Not even during season 6.
Overall i enjoyed it as much as my first watch of the show. There were some really bad episodes. I enjoyed the musical episode much more the second time then the first time. In this days and times the "filler" episodes stuck out like a sour thumb even more, but overall there were much more good episodes then bad ones. I still don't understand the fascination with Spike and all the love his character got, and Xender was much more annoying then i remembered.
Before the rewatch Buffy was one of my top 5 tv shows of all time. After it... I'm not sure if i'll keep it on my top 10, but even if it'll dropped from my top 10 it won't drop too much.

Bought the complete series of Buffy and Angel on ITunes on my MacBook and I also bought Buffy season 8 motion comic. On the second episode of season one and looking forward to rewatching the series and getting to my favorite of the two Angel. Gonna be great going through memory lane when life wasn’t so complicated lol.

I want to do another rewatch but i hate watching on streaming being stretched to fit the screen and i don't want to get my dvds out lol.

GIVE US A PROPER REMASTER

Well, we might surmise that the Mystical Force which summons a new Slayer when the prior one croaks isn’t too bright. :cwink: After all, back in season one, Buffy was “dead” for only a couple of minutes and then fully resuscitated. Nevertheless, Kendra was activated. Then, when Kendra died, Faith was called as the next Slayer — even though Buffy was alive, well and still on the job. Finally, when Buffy died again (this time for 147 days according to Spike) there’s no indication that a replacement Slayer was ever activated. Presumably, this is because the Mystical Force recognized that the true Slayer line resides in Faith; and she didn’t die. Thus, apparently, the Mystical Force didn’t know — or didn’t care — that Faith was incarcerated.
Maybe she was somewhere else in the world not near them? Spike killed one in china. And like 4 in a row were born in US seems rare to me. Woods mom was NY right? Buffy was California. Kendra I forget where and I think Faith was Massachusetts?

Last edited:
Maybe she was somewhere else in the world not near them. Spike killed one in china. And like 4 in a row we’re born in US seems rare to me. Woods mom was NY right? Buffy was California. Kendra I forget where and I think Faith was Massachusetts?
Well… The series’ mythology suggests that the Slayer (and there’s only supposed to be “one girl in all the world”) is summoned/assigned to the location where they’re most needed. And in this era, that’s the Sunnydale Hellmouth. First it’s Buffy. Then Kendra, Faith and (in season 7) the Potentials all make their way to Sunnydale. So if there had been a “third Slayer” (called after Buffy died in “The Gift”), we might expect her to show up too. Since this didn’t happen, it’s probably a safe conclusion that she doesn’t exist.

Maybe she was somewhere else in the world not near them. Spike killed one in china. And like 4 in a row we’re born in US seems rare to me. Woods mom was NY right? Buffy was California. Kendra I forget where and I think Faith was Massachusetts?

I don't think Kendra's birthplace was ever specifically mentioned but her Watcher, I think, was supposed to be in Jamaica and the actor was supposedly taught a specific, obscure rural Jamaican accent so it seems safe to guess she probably wasn't born in the US. Although her parents literally gave her up to be raised by the Council, so it could still be that she was born somewhere other than Jamaica.

Nah, there wasn’t one called. The “calling” was on Faith ever since Kendra died. It hasn’t been with Buffy since she died in S1. It doesn’t bother me that Faith was incarcerated because it’s not like there’s literally PTB’s up there calling people to be the next Slayer lol. It’s not a conscious decision. It’s essentially a spell. When the current Slayer dies, another Potential gets the power awakened, then their death will trigger another, etc. Guess the guys who initially created the spell didn’t account for a Slayer coming back from death. Regardless, Faith is the one whose death activates the spell now*. Doesn’t matter if she’s useful while she has it or not.

*before the finale, of course lol.

As we're on the topic of Slayers and calling cards....what is everyones general opinions on the "origin" of The Slayer?

Did you like the reveal in S7? Hate it?
Would you change anything about the origin?
Should we have even found out about the origin?

Pedro Pascal being the Daddy of all the internet is a tired bit, but he really is so much more hnnnnnngh now than he was in his twenties.

Well… The series’ mythology suggests that the Slayer (and there’s only supposed to be “one girl in all the world”) is summoned/assigned to the location where they’re most needed. And in this era, that’s the Sunnydale Hellmouth. First it’s Buffy. Then Kendra, Faith and (in season 7) the Potentials all make their way to Sunnydale. So if there had been a “third Slayer” (called after Buffy died in “The Gift”), we might expect her to show up too. Since this didn’t happen, it’s probably a safe conclusion that she doesn’t exist.

Haha she went to Cleveland to the other Hellmouth instead. Jk :rimshot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"