Cable Cord Cutters Thread: Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, and more!

Looks like they are beta testing a Roku app if you want to try that out:

Depends how clunky is the UI for you? I'm bummed Channels doesn't work unless you have a DVR ready device like HD Homerun or a old computer to set it up. Essentially you're creating a NAS to work off Channels' server, but their UI seems much more fluid than Fitzy.

EDIT: I wonder if you can use your AirTV with Channels DVR, @flickchick85. Okay I gotta stop using you as a Guinea pig. :hehe:

Also OG AirTV is only $40... It's tempting me. :funny:

Resist, gurl! :funny:

Also I have no idea what Channels is, but the DVR part wasn't the problem with the Air TV.

Ok, so I'm on Channels DVR's website, trying to install the Channels server, and AirTV does not appear to be one of the devices you can use with it. They do let you use my Nvidia Shield, but I don't want to install it on there since I'm already using it as a Plex server and I'm afraid of messing with that.

Ok, so I'm on Channels DVR's website, trying to install the Channels server, and AirTV does not appear to be one of the devices you can use with it. They do let you use my Nvidia Shield, but I don't want to install it on there since I'm already using it as a Plex server and I'm afraid of messing with that.
Yeah don't want to risk that.

Well it looks like Channels doesn't have a Roku app either. So my only options are AirTV or beta test Fitzy.

Okay I'm trying Fitzy and it works. Now if only I can get rid of their pesky "free channels". Needs recall functionality, though.

So Fitzy on Roku is pretty much exactly like Locast. Fire TV definitely has the better interface.

Hmm. I just had a thought. Could it be possible to watch Locast on Fitzy and not get the Locast donation ad?

Hmm. I just had a thought. Could it be possible to watch Locast on Fitzy and not get the Locast donation ad?
I pay the $5 for Locast, so I don’t get that ad anyway. But that sounds like a good thing for you to test out to me. :D

Well one of my Locast channels isn't showing correctly on Fitzy the audio is out of sync.

Well one of my Locast channels isn't showing correctly on Fitzy the audio is out of sync.
Might be one of those issues to add to the list on that beta test site, as I don't see it listed there.

So on the Roku app this channel's audio cuts in and out and the Android app is out of sync. I haven't tried it on Fire TV yet.

Is the Android TV app in beta too? I hadn't seen any indication of that.
Wait I read the Play Store page wrong. :funny: It was asking me to join their beta program.

Looks like a dispute with Adobe made Fitzy remove many of their TV Providers which is why YTTV is no longer on there.

Well the audio issues started to clear up. I'm concocting a plan to go halfies with someone on YouTube TV.

So Laff is gone and when it appears it's actually Grit with Laff's logo. Hallmark shows the wrong schedule and the channels are all scrambled when you have multiple providers plugged in on the mobile app.

I understand it's a small developer who got into a snafu with the big boys, but I think most of their focus is now on getting back TV Providers and the DVR functionality rather than the guide stuff. Also on Fire TV the left or right buttons on the directional pad are recall a channel.

The aggregator system is a great idea for people like me or @flickchick85 who's back up is Philo+Locast who want both services in one guide. I think if they had another developer who focused on that and the guide it would be better.

So Laff is gone and when it appears it's actually Grit with Laff's logo. Hallmark shows the wrong schedule and the channels are all scrambled when you have multiple providers plugged in on the mobile app.

I understand it's a small developer who got into a snafu with the big boys, but I think most of their focus is now on getting back TV Providers and the DVR functionality rather than the guide stuff. Also on Fire TV the left or right buttons on the directional pad are recall a channel.

The aggregator system is a great idea for people like me or @flickchick85 who's back up is Philo+Locast who want both services in one guide. I think if they had another developer who focused on that and the guide it would be better.
Yeah it's definitely got a long way to go before I'd start recommending it to people, but I think it will perfectly suit my needs once the CW shows start back up.

Yeah it's definitely got a long way to go before I'd start recommending it to people, but I think it will perfectly suit my needs once the CW shows start back up.
Oh yeah. I would say it's 70% of it works and works well while the other 30% is hiccups like the one I described.

I think you ought to change the name of this thread to "Flick's and Loca's search for the meaning of life." :cwink:

I think you ought to change the name of this thread to "Flick's and Loca's search for the meaning of life." :cwink:
Quiet you. We demand an affordable alternative to cable is that so hard to ask. :o

Quiet you. We demand an affordable alternative to cable is that so hard to ask. :o

I don't know about ask, but it's obviously hard to find.

EDIT: Maybe not hard to find, but it sounds hard to me. You 2 might as well be speaking Latin. I have no idea what you're talking about half of the time. :funny:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"