Iron Fist Cancelled!

Colter seems like a genuinely good guy so hope he finds work again soon.

Colter seems like a genuinely good guy so hope he finds work again soon.

Don't think it will be a problem for him. He seemed to be surging before he booked Luke Cage anyway.

Colter was all wrong for like imo anyway.

Luke is supposed to be a badass with swagger, like Sam Jackson when he played shaft.

Colter played him way way to calm, timid, and often frankly boring to me.

Colter was all wrong for like imo anyway.

Luke is supposed to be a badass with swagger, like Sam Jackson when he played shaft.

Colter played him way way to calm, timid, and often frankly boring to me.

That would be true if Colter were supposed to be the Luke Cage from the comics of the 70's. Except he wasn't hired to play that Luke. He was hired to play the modern Luke of the last 18 years. To that end he was a pretty good live action Luke Cage in a world that reflected out own reality. Colter was by far NEVER the problem with the LC show.

Now that Mike Colter and Finn Jones are out of work, they should advertise themselves as Actors for Hire. :o

91526ed2e9815269056014b9bcbb04e540d6056d6e03ac1d29638d2dd0b1d13a.jpg

That would be true if Colter were supposed to be the Luke Cage from the comics of the 70's. Except he wasn't hired to play that Luke. He was hired to play the modern Luke of the last 18 years. To that end he was a pretty good live action Luke Cage in a world that reflected out own reality. Colter was by far NEVER the problem with the LC show.

I read an unhealthy amount of comics, so I am very very familiar with modern comic version of Luke Cage. He still has TONS more attitude than the tv boring tv version.

I agree although Luke cage the show has been awesome I always felt Colter was somewhat weak and doesn’t have much charisma. I mean Theo Rossi and Mustafa Shakir were far far better than him this season and the performances they put in were incredible. Both to me were Emmy worthy.

I think doing a Heroes for Hire show would be best as they clearly play well off each other but are weak on their own shows

Kinberg will be the uninvited ex-boyfriend who shows up at the last minute to give a speech about how he's a better choice, because, despite the fact that he's treated them badly, and isn't as stable, successful, popular, or rich as the other guy, and that they have had a lot of ups and downs, he still loves the X-Men, and why won't you take me baaaaaaaack! Waaaaaaah!!!!

Yup. Think that about covers it. Did I miss anything, guys?

I read an unhealthy amount of comics, so I am very very familiar with modern comic version of Luke Cage. He still has TONS more attitude than the tv boring tv version.

Well he certainly could never play the 70s Luke Cage with the afro and a real attitude. He despised that look both in real life and in the first season anyway.

I think even the actor who played Bushmaster would've had more attitude as Luke Cage and could've pulled off the 70s Luke Cage and made it work.

Colter was in Ringer with Sarah Michelle Gellar. He was a drug addict sponsor I think, and a friend of hers. He was smaller than he was as Cage, but his personality was much the same and rather boring and bland.

So really it's not that he doesn't want to play Cage as he is written in the comics with more charisma and attitude. It's that Colter doesn't have any of that, but doesn't want to admit that he doesn't. So he just says he chooses to play him more subdued when it's really that he can't play him any other way.

Wouldn't a "straight from the comics" portrayal of Luke be deemed a bit "cliche/one-note/stereotypical". I agree that Colter's LC isn't very charismatic. More of a silent type kinda guy.

Honestly, if they wanted to really get the character right, they'd have needed a 6'6 guy with like 300 pounds of muscle. Sure there are NFL guys who can pull that off, but their acting would have been ridiculous.

Wouldn't a "straight from the comics" portrayal of Luke be deemed a bit "cliche/one-note/stereotypical". I agree that Colter's LC isn't very charismatic. More of a silent type kinda guy.

Honestly, if they wanted to really get the character right, they'd have needed a 6'6 guy with like 300 pounds of muscle. Sure there are NFL guys who can pull that off, but their acting would have been ridiculous.
Between his comedy/action roles and his stint on Everybody Hates Chris, Terry Crews was bred for the role.

It doesn't have to be stereotypical. Is SLJ stereotypical because he has more attitude?

I think Colter has the wrong voice for it anyway. He sounds more like he could sing Village People songs like YMCA or In the Navy. They needed someone who was much more mouthy, comedic and had a different tone to their voice.

It doesn't have to be stereotypical. Is SLJ stereotypical because he has more attitude?

I think Colter has the wrong voice for it anyway. He sounds more like he could sing Village People songs like YMCA or In the Navy. They needed someone who was much more mouthy, comedic and had a different tone to their voice.
SLJ is his own man.

I'm just pondering. I never read Luke Cage. But I know it was a bit stereotypical (his origins) during blaxploitation era. That kinda thing wouldn't fly today. So, they had to change him. Colter's Cage was very stiff in season 1. He's more easy going in season 2.

Between his comedy/action roles and his stint on Everybody Hates Chris, Terry Crews was bred for the role.

So much this. So much.

Crews as Cage and, say, someone like Christian Howard [Ken from Street Fighter: Assassins fist] as Danny could have been brilliant - Crews is more charismatic than Colter and has a more powerful look and more experience in action scenes to do Cage justice and Howard is also charismatic, has a look of Danny but also has the martial arts prowess to similarly do Danny justice. Both Crews/Colter and Howard/Jones are more or less the same height (Howard is 5' 10'' and Jones is 5' 11 and a half - Crews and Colter are both 6' 3'') so there's nothing in it there but both guys are so much better developed physically than the guys who were cast. Physical development that befits the characters being played and although some could legit say that Colter and Jones are the better actors, Crews and Howard are at least 'decent' enough to play the roles competently but they would definitely have killed it in the action stakes and maybe made these shows visual 'must-sees', as opposed to the awkward bore-fest action that we got at times in both shows; if the show runner had decided that kick ass visuals and fighting was what they were going to focus on.

Meh, I'm glad an actor like Colter played Cage over Terry Crews.

I cannot believe this crap, both Iron Fist and Luke Cage ended their seasons in a VERY interesting place, and they just go and kill the shows. It does not make any sense, i guess the ratings were very low, but i did not expected that from LC. They could at least give them one more season to end the story.

Ugh I hate this! I hate that Iron Fist got mishandled! I just knew this wan't going to work out on Netflix. I honestly think he would've been a great addition to the MCU if he was introduced right.

You're conflating things. The physical look can be close enough and that will be fine as long as the character personality and attitude is done right.

Somebody could've easily said that a simple goody two shoes Cap will never work on film, but good directing and a great actor made it perfect.

We got Cage's boring cousin in this show. That was the main problem

Last edited:
SLJ is his own man.

I'm just pondering. I never read Luke Cage. But I know it was a bit stereotypical (his origins) during blaxploitation era. That kinda thing wouldn't fly today. So, they had to change him. Colter's Cage was very stiff in season 1. He's more easy going in season 2.
People keep bringing up the 70s comics as if that's the only place you see Cage having attitude. I've literally never read a Cage comic before Me Avengers and he still has tons of attitude. If you don't give him that you either don't understand the character or don't care about the character.

You're conflating things. The physical look can be close enough and that will be fine as long as the character personality and attitude is done right.

Somebody could've easily said that a simple goody two shoes Cap will never work on film, but good directing and a great actor made it perfect.

We got Cage's boring cousin in this show. That was the main problem

The actor who played Bushmaster might've been better for Luke Cage.

Well even he is a bit too serious and would've been just a variation on Mike Copter instead of something different.

Mac from AoS was my pick for Luke Cage
He was def JACKED.

I like Colter. His Cage is very Learned. But I never really understood the backstory on Netlfix. Luke was a former cop and soldier who got jailed because of what exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"