Daredevil Cancelled!

See I am only hoping it was Marvel's call assuming the plan is to retain the Defenders on Hulu or FX or whatever retains these shows in the current MCU continuity. If the intention is a reboot that effectively erases these shows, then I am just not interested.

I doubt they can do that. Netflix already said they are keeping these shows on their service for years despite cancelling them.

Marvel might not be legally allowed to continue them on new networks.

Just saying, Sony TV still owned Spectacular Spider-Man when Marvel launched Ultimate Spider-Man.

I doubt they can do that. Netflix already said they are keeping these shows on their service for years despite cancelling them.

Marvel might not be legally allowed to continue them on new networks.

Just saying, Sony TV still owned Spectacular Spider-Man when Marvel launched Ultimate Spider-Man.
Different situations. The ownership of the rights to the animated Spider-man shows changed when Disney aquired Marvel. Marvel had essentially licensedethe animated Spider-man rights to Sony with Sony acting as a distributor. Disney obviously wasn't going to continue this as they had means to distribute an animated property themselves.

Disney came to an agreement with Netflix to be a distributor, and given how well known it is that Disney hates giving exclusive distribution rights to any company (see the situation with Universal and why no solo Hulk films will ever be made) I highly doubt they signed any kind of contract that required them to buy the rights to the show off Netflix if Netflix cancelled it.

Either way, I don't see Marvel continuing any of the Netflix line. If they want to use characters again they will just change them up.

Either way, I don't see Marvel continuing any of the Netflix line. If they want to use characters again they will just change them up.
I'm honestly not so sure. We know the reason DD went to Netflix is that Fiege wasn't digging the movie pitch for him. If he's not interested in the character for film, then it makes sense to keep him on television. If you keep him on television, unless there's a good reason, it's not a smart business move to reboot a brand that's both popular with the audience and critically well received. I think the odds of these popping up on Hulu aren't that bad.

I'm honestly not so sure. We know the reason DD went to Netflix is that Fiege wasn't digging the movie pitch for him. If he's not interested in the character for film, then it makes sense to keep him on television. If you keep him on television, unless there's a good reason, it's not a smart business move to reboot a brand that's both popular with the audience and critically well received. I think the odds of these popping up on Hulu aren't that bad.

We are talking about an industry that makes not smart moves on a regular basis. It could be argued that Netflix cancelling one of its most popular and acclaimed shows wasn't a smart business move either...but they still did it.

We are talking about an industry that makes not smart moves on a regular basis. It could be argued that Netflix cancelling one of its most popular and acclaimed shows wasn't a smart business move either...but they still did it.
Sure, the industry acts stupid. But Marvel's been pretty smart.

When you start looking at the numbers for Netflix, it makes more and more sense why they cancelled the shows. They were reportedly paying a lot of money for these properties, and on top of it, these shows cost a lot to make. And we know they don't get the full profits. On top of that, Disney is launching what will undoubtedly be their biggest competition, and shows like Daredevil are essentially free advertising for a competitor. Add in the fact that they were going to have to re-up on the rights and Disney would probably ask for even more money....I get why they did it. I don't like it, but I get it.

Disney moving these to Hulu just seems to make more sense. But who knows. You could be right. There's know way to know all the inner workings of this stuff unless we were the lawyers who helped make the deals.

What profits though? Netflix revenue comes from its subscriber base.

What profits though? Netflix revenue comes from its subscriber base.
Disney was making a profit off these shows in some way. Either from a hefty cost to use the characters at all, or getting a certain very small percentage of profit from Netflix itself. Probably the former. Regardless, it equals the same thing: these shows cost Netflix a lot of money. Add on the fact that they also encourage their viewers to check out a streaming service that will soon be in direct competition with them, and the decision does make sense. Again, I don't like it, but I understand why they did it.

I feel like Disney wouldn't even do a dark PG-13 film either in regards to the Netflix shows. Which kinda worries me about X-Men reverting back to Disney. MCU has too much of a one tone fits all type mentality. Which is ironic since people said that was DCEU's problem lol

Disney was making a profit off these shows in some way. Either from a hefty cost to use the characters at all, or getting a certain very small percentage of profit from Netflix itself. Probably the former. Regardless, it equals the same thing: these shows cost Netflix a lot of money. Add on the fact that they also encourage their viewers to check out a streaming service that will soon be in direct competition with them, and the decision does make sense. Again, I don't like it, but I understand why they did it.
I've said before and I'll say again, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the Netflix Marvel shows used anything other than a traditional television financial arrangement, which means that Netflix pays Marvel money to make the show and anything Netflix makes off the show after that would go to Netflix (on TV, it would be through commercials, on Netfix, it would just be subscribers, which is even less direct).

The only area I could see some kind of profit sharing is when it comes to DVD sales. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on with those. People who seem to know what they're talking about say Netflix is always slow to release DVDs and this is consistent with that, so it seems Netflix has control over their release, but who knows the financial arrangements after that.

See I am only hoping it was Marvel's call assuming the plan is to retain the Defenders on Hulu or FX or whatever retains these shows in the current MCU continuity. If the intention is a reboot that effectively erases these shows, then I am just not interested.
so I got this from EPN..tv which got this from Dead line spoke top someone that was close the deal and sorry this was netflix. & that all we things we thought and it was indeed for the reason's said in previous pages netflix wanted sole ownership of the marvel shows. and they shut it down cause they didn't own them the actors or the shows. it's is indeed marvel's call they hired the actors and the shows are theirs.

Detail in the 5th segment of the video below & the Deadline article confriming it

hqdefault.jpg

New Fortnite and Far Cry Games Announced! - The Rundown - Electric Playground

1.2K views 16 hours ago Published on 12/05/2018
#PlayForever #Fortnite #FarCry Today in the Rundown, we have the first details on a game-making new mode for Fortnite, and an all-new Far Cry project from Ubisoft! We We also get the latest on Red Dead Online, switch over to some good news about Metroid, discuss the latest on the cancellation of Marvel's Daredevil, smuggle a new season of Narcos, and finally, beam up new details on the return of Star Trek's Captain Picard!

Confriming the video above

‘Daredevil’: Netflix Turned A Blind Eye To Viewer Demand By Canceling Marvel Series

on Dec 4, 2018 5:30 pm 81 comments

When Netflix executives decided to cancel the Marvel series Daredevil, it turned a blind eye to viewer demand. That’s evident in the latest numbers from Parrot Analytics which reveal that Daredevil ranked fourth last week in viewer demand among all digital originals in the U.S. across all streaming platforms. Demand for the sightless superhero series was surpassed only by three shows (Narcos, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Stranger Things, all from Netflix) during… READ

source: The Electric Playground Network | EPN & Deadline

Last edited:
so I got this from EPN..tv which got this from Dead line spoke top someone that was close the deal and sorry this was netflix. & that all we things we thought and it was indeed for the reason's said in previous pages netflix wanted sole ownership of the marvel shows. and they shut it down cause they didn't own them the actors or the shows. it's is indeed marvel's call they hired the actors and the shows are theirs.

Detail in the 5th segment of the video below & the Deadline article confriming it

hqdefault.jpg

#PlayForever #Fortnite #FarCry Today in the Rundown, we have the first details on a game-making new mode for Fortnite, and an all-new Far Cry project from Ubisoft! We We also get the latest on Red Dead Online, switch over to some good news about Metroid, discuss the latest on the cancellation of Marvel's Daredevil, smuggle a new season of Narcos, and finally, beam up new details on the return of Star Trek's Captain Picard!

‘Daredevil’: Netflix Turned A Blind Eye To Viewer Demand By Canceling Marvel Series

When Netflix executives decided to cancel the Marvel series Daredevil, it turned a blind eye to viewer demand. That’s evident in the latest numbers from Parrot Analytics which reveal that Daredevil ranked fourth last week in viewer demand among all digital originals in the U.S. across all streaming platforms. Demand for the sightless superhero series was surpassed only by three shows (Narcos, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Stranger Things, all from Netflix) during… READ

If true and if the show's are Marvel's and so are the actors, then I must reiterate my preference to see THESE shows continue on another platform, such as Hulu. While Netflix turned a blind eye to viewer demand, hopefully Marvel will not. Again, this concept people have pitched of rebooting them into the MCU with a new continuity and such, I just have zero interest in.

I've said before and I'll say again, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the Netflix Marvel shows used anything other than a traditional television financial arrangement, which means that Netflix pays Marvel money to make the show and anything Netflix makes off the show after that would go to Netflix (on TV, it would be through commercials, on Netfix, it would just be subscribers, which is even less direct).

The only area I could see some kind of profit sharing is when it comes to DVD sales. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on with those. People who seem to know what they're talking about say Netflix is always slow to release DVDs and this is consistent with that, so it seems Netflix has control over their release, but who knows the financial arrangements after that.

Yep. That's pretty much what I said in my above post. Netflix had to pay Marvel to use these characters. And I've seen some saying that Marvel made Netflix pay a lot. These shows were expensive for Netflix, which is one of the many factors that lead to them cancelling it.

And Spider-Fan, I agree. I don't see these characters being used in the film universe, because the entire reason they ended up on Netflix was because Feige wasn't interested in them at the moment. Disney is obviously looking to expand it's brand, and why wouldn't you want to continue a show that already has positive critical acclaim and was very popular with fans? Hulu wouldn't be a perfect home for shows like these.

It's going to be interesting seeing how things progress. Possibly heartbreaking, but we have Daredevil's quality and popularity on our side. It's going to be a tough pitch for whoever tries to replace this incarnation. Unfortunately I think the other shows actually hurt in this regard. Matt and friends could just slot right in on their own, just give Cox his tights and he'll be just fine in whatever film he lands in. It's when you factor in the extended continuity of this expanded TV franchise that the baggage of wonky quality and popularity starts to pile up.

I'm surprised to hear it might have been Netflix pitching shorter seasons. I always assumed the frequent filler was Marvel struggling to fill time and Netflix wanted as many hours as possible.

hqdefault.jpg

If true and if the show's are Marvel's and so are the actors, then I must reiterate my preference to see THESE shows continue on another platform, such as Hulu. While Netflix turned a blind eye to viewer demand, hopefully Marvel will not. Again, this concept people have pitched of rebooting them into the MCU with a new continuity and such, I just have zero interest in.
yes it was was said . there basically isn't any reason to Reboot
since net flix think's that and feel's this way, so there nothing blocking marvel from using the actors still. if net flix says they don't own the show, characters and actors and they are marvels then marvel can use their actors of the net flix shows in the MCU with out ptoblem .

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear it might have been Netflix pitching shorter seasons. I always assumed the frequent filler was Marvel struggling to fill time and Netflix wanted as many hours as possible.
have you seen other non-Netflix Marvel shows?

Why would Marvel fight back against shorter seasons?

No one can answer that part about marvel and ths shorter seasons. the only thing I see most people more concerned with is why kill a show that was profitable for you? even by the actors.

Example:

Vincent D'Onofrio‏Verified account @vincentdonofrio Dec 6
I'm in such an odd business. Don't feel bad folks it makes no sense. 'Daredevil’ Cancelation Is Bad News for Netflix, as Data Reveals Demand Still Huge

1DaKWAs-

‘Daredevil’ Cancelation Is Bad News for Netflix, as Data Demand Still Huge...
Accordingto a new study,"Dare Devil" interest remains high even after the shows cancelation Read more

Yahoo.com
2:01 PM - 6 Dec 2018
496 replies1,649 retweets8,011 likes

Epecially after what was said on deadline which reached other news outlets. so I'm sure the actors if asked , like moving to hulu or if the marvel tv divison does what Dc has done and start a streaming channel service of their own & still distrbutes it to other streaming portal's like "crave tv" & "Shaw Tv" ( see where I'm at with this )next to others ETC as outlets.

it'll be a big blow to netflix . they vew the show & actors as not owned by them.like bad parent that abandons their kids.

when you think about it all it's petty view wise. butthey made this chose partly out paranoina and thinking they don't need it.

so take them (the shows & the actors) some where else. or create one( a place) and you do the stuff you weren't able to do before like have them guest star and cross over with other marvel characters of the MCU. The univers with outlimits or obstruction. or excuse's. looking at the cross rating for CW, I'm sure anything marvel will do will indeed be better. story wise & more

Last edited:
have you seen other non-Netflix Marvel shows?

Yes.

Why would Marvel fight back against shorter seasons?

It would most likely be due to money somewhere. Though you'd immediately assume it would be cheaper to make shorter seasons, you're already paying for all the talent involved so you would get more for your money adding a couple of weeks production for an extra 5 episodes. Fits with the penny-pinching Perlmutter, and ultimately the crazy schedule and bloat that drowned this universe with Iron Fist and Defenders.

It would most likely be due to money somewhere. Though you'd immediately assume it would be cheaper to make shorter seasons, you're already paying for all the talent involved so you would get more for your money adding a couple of weeks production for an extra 5 episodes. Fits with the penny-pinching Perlmutter, and ultimately the crazy schedule and bloat that drowned this universe with Iron Fist and Defenders.

hmm, how many live action on going shows on netflix(or any streaming service for that matter) run less 13 episode per season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"