First Avenger Cap's Power Level

Look at old ladies that lift cars to save loved ones...everyone's heard about the huge adrenaline boost s the body can produce in times of stress.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

well this might shed some light on the subject. heres what JJ had to say in the interview with EW.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The strength of heroes is often found in their weaknesses. What vulnerabilities does Captain America have that make him interesting and relatable?
JOE JOHNSTON: What I like is he’s not a superhero in the true sense of the word. He becomes a superhero but doesn’t have any super powers. He is just the best possible, human specimen. Imagine the fastest, strongest Olympian athlete. Add 30 percent. That’s Steve Rogers.

well this might shed some light on the subject. heres what JJ had to say in the interview with EW.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The strength of heroes is often found in their weaknesses. What vulnerabilities does Captain America have that make him interesting and relatable?
JOE JOHNSTON: What I like is he’s not a superhero in the true sense of the word. He becomes a superhero but doesn’t have any super powers. He is just the best possible, human specimen. Imagine the fastest, strongest Olympian athlete. Add 30 percent. That’s Steve Rogers.

Sounds great!!! :up:

I'm horrible at math......can anyone quantify 30 percent more than the best an Olympian athlete has acheived in terms of weightlifting, running, jumping, etc. limits.

Weightlifting

Record holder: Paul Anderson

• Standard clean and press: 435 lb (197 kg);
  • One arm overhead press: 300 lb (140 kg);
  • Parallel squat: 1,202 lb (545 kg), two reps;
  • Backlift: 6,270 lb (2,840 kg) (weight raised slightly off trestles);
Running

Record holder: Usain Bolt (awesome name for fastest man alive, btw)

From his record time of 9.58 s for the 100 m sprint Usain Bolt's average ground speed equates to: 37.58 km/h or 23.35 mph. However, once his reaction time of 0.15 s is subtracted, his time is closer to 9.43 s, making his average speed closer to 38.18 km/h or 23.72 mph.
Jumping

Record holder: Mike Powell

Mike Powell of the United States set the world's record at the 1991 World Outdoor Championships in Tokyo. Powell's jump of 8.95 meters (29 feet, 4 1/2 inches)

So..

according to Johnston, Cap would rank in at about these averages...

Weightlifting (clean press): 565.5 lbs
Speed (100 meters): 30.836 mph
Length of jump:
38' 2"

Pretty impressive numbers!

after seeing the new TV Spots i thought it,d be a good idea to resurrect this thread. what do you guys think about Caps power level now that we,ve seen a bit more of the movie? looks beyond Blonsky for sure. hard to tell exactly how strong he is at the moment tho, maybe we,ll see more when the second trailer hits later on(YES!!!!!!) all i know is that shield dive was epic. lol

Last edited:
looks like he's doing some serious jumping too

People are analyzing Johnston's "30 percent", something that he said on a whim with not much thought behind it -- Really?

People are analyzing Johnston's "30 percent", something that he said on a whim with not much thought behind it -- Really?

Well, there must have been SOME thought behind it, otherwise, instead of conveying a supersoldier's abilities on screen, we might have just gotten a really fit guy on screen with gadgets no more 'powerful' than a certain Bat themed character.
And, of course this being a Forum and all, peeps are gonna speculate and analyze (and every now and again OVER analyze) stuff regarding the film...ESPECIALLY if it's coming straight from the horse's mouth.
In this case I DO find the numbers you get from plugging the 30 percent,into the ability equation rather interesting, and, with relation to what's been seen in the comics, NOT far off the mark at all.
.....just gives us something to do, fan-wise, whilst we wait for the film to hit theaters, I guess.

So..

according to Johnston, Cap would rank in at about these averages...

Weightlifting (clean press): 565.5 lbs
Speed (100 meters): 30.836 mph
Length of jump:
38' 2"

Pretty impressive numbers!

Nice! I figured Cap and Spider-Man are on the same strength level..? Or is Spidey stronger than that?

Im pretty sure Spiderman can lift a car over his head and toss it a considerable distance.

Dont think CA can do that.

Yes, Spider-man is much stronger then 616 Captain America. That's why it always bugs me when I see people saying that Cap or Batman could easily take out Spider-man. Spider-man is literally strong enough to take their heads off in one punch, and he's ten times faster then either of them. It really shouldn't be a contest.

However, back to my original intent starting this thread. I actually created this to explore one idea. Everyone talks about how Captain America is supposed to be "peak human." And that's usually followed by everyone posting the stats of the top human in every athletic events (sprints, jumps, lifts etc.) and saying "okay, Cap can do all of that."

However, my point was that we need to realize that each person who became top in their respective athletic events trained specifically for that event. However one thing to keep in mind is that to get to a peak performance in one specialized area, you need to strengthen your entire body. For example, your bench press will improve if you strengthen your lower body.

The thing that most people don't take into account is, if a human was somehow able to match the top athletes in every aspect of individual athleticism, the effect would be compounded. For example, the best squatter in the world isn't also the best bench-presser in the world. But if someone was suddenly gifted with the strength of the best squatter and best bench presser, they should theoritically be able to lift MORE then both the best squatter and best bench presser.

The same goes for everything else. The best sprinter in the world isn't also the best power-lifter, but if you give a sprinter that muscle power, he would be even faster. (And yes, I know that it's impossible for a normal human to be the best sprinter in the world and the best power-lifter, but this is pseudo science here).

So actually the comment about being 30% more then the best Olympic aesthetes may be fairly accurate. Since Cap has every aspect of his body in perfect physical shape, he should actually be stronger then the strongest man in the world and faster then the fastest man in the world.

well im glad they put in the crazy jumping. wonder how they handle his agility? and id like to see a feat of strength do we can get a gauge on how powerful he is. but from the tv spots he seems to be able to outrun a car, even if it is a car from the 40s. lol. and he has insane jumping ability.

Well we have seen him punch through a mini sub windshield, IN the water.
And there's a pic floating around of him holding a taxi cab door, that he may have ripped off it's hinges.

good point captainrogers. id consider that low level super human strength.

Nice! I figured Cap and Spider-Man are on the same strength level..? Or is Spidey stronger than that?

I think Spidey was generally in the 10 ton range. It MAY have been upped a bit in recent years to the 15-20 ton range.
So, Spiderman definately outpowers Cap in terms of raw strength. Parker, with the aforementioned power can also bound much farther and higher. However, their agility, may be on par.
(I remember an Avengers yarn by Busek, in which both Spidey and Cap were using comparatively equal agility to evade capture from beings who were after the Juggernaut, while the rest of the team did not)

I think Spidey was generally in the 10 ton range. It MAY have been upped a bit in recent years to the 15-20 ton range.
So, Spiderman definately outpowers Cap in terms of raw strength. Parker, with the aforementioned power can also bound much farther and higher. However, their agility, may be on par.
(I remember an Avengers yarn by Busek, in which both Spidey and Cap were using comparatively equal agility to evade capture from beings who were after the Juggernaut, while the rest of the team did not)

Spider-man's agility should far outstrip Cap. Spider-man can literally dodge bullets. Even a top tier Olympic athlete couldn't manage that.

captinrogers said:
Well we have seen him punch through a mini sub windshield, IN the water.
And there's a pic floating around of him holding a taxi cab door, that he may have ripped off it's hinges.

This was the most impressive "strength" feet I've seen thus far. The amount of power someone would have to generate to punch through what I'm assuming is a very thick glass window under water would be immense.

From what I've seen, it looks like movie Cap is slightly stronger then his 616 counterpart, but not at the level of his Ultimate counterpart, and I'm all right with that. Personally, I like Cap to be close to a low level superhuman, because it always bugs me when I see "normal" men on Superhero teams fighting other meta-humans like they can hold their own. I see it with Batman a lot in JLA, and it pisses me off. I don't care how smart you are, if Batman isn't in some kind of bodyarmor, he would get owned by superhumans. The same with Cap. I saw someone posting an example of Cap using Judo on the Hulk, and I just had to roll my eyes. Yeah, it was Professor Hulk, but even still. Yes, Judo is all about using your opponents momentum against them, but it doesn't matter how good you are at Judo if your opponent is that much stronger and more powerful then you. It would be like an incredibly skilled six year old trying to use Judo against Brock Lesner. It just wouldn't work.

*Sorry about the minor rant* End point being, he has to be at least low level superhuman for me to buy that he can hold his own against meta-human villains in a fight. And it looks like we're getting that, so I'm happy.

Spider-man's agility should far outstrip Cap. Spider-man can literally dodge bullets. Even a top tier Olympic athlete couldn't manage that.

This was the most impressive "strength" feet I've seen thus far. The amount of power someone would have to generate to punch through what I'm assuming is a very thick glass window under water would be immense.

From what I've seen, it looks like movie Cap is slightly stronger then his 616 counterpart, but not at the level of his Ultimate counterpart, and I'm all right with that. Personally, I like Cap to be close to a low level superhuman, because it always bugs me when I see "normal" men on Superhero teams fighting other meta-humans like they can hold their own. I see it with Batman a lot in JLA, and it pisses me off. I don't care how smart you are, if Batman isn't in some kind of bodyarmor, he would get owned by superhumans. The same with Cap. I saw someone posting an example of Cap using Judo on the Hulk, and I just had to roll my eyes. Yeah, it was Professor Hulk, but even still. Yes, Judo is all about using your opponents momentum against them, but it doesn't matter how good you are at Judo if your opponent is that much stronger and more powerful then you. It would be like an incredibly skilled six year old trying to use Judo against Brock Lesner. It just wouldn't work.

*Sorry about the minor rant* End point being, he has to be at least low level superhuman for me to buy that he can hold his own against meta-human villains in a fight. And it looks like we're getting that, so I'm happy.

Agreed on most of your points. As far as the dodging of bullets is concerned, Cap has dodged gunfire as well. (multiple times in Bru's run just to cite recent stories)
But yes, Spidey is a bullet dodging machine. :)
I always found the charm behind Cap was his ability to stand up to and hang (even when he couldn't) with opponents that outstripped him, powerwise. The serum was, to me, the explanation as to how Cap could survive, and with his will, determination, and strategic brilliance, most-times, overcome these adversaries.

Agreed on most of your points. As far as the dodging of bullets is concerned, Cap has dodged gunfire as well. (multiple times in Bru's run just to cite recent stories)
But yes, Spidey is a bullet dodging machine. :)
I always found the charm behind Cap was his ability to stand up to and hang (even when he couldn't) with opponents that outstripped him, powerwise. The serum was, to me, the explanation as to how Cap could survive, and with his will, determination, and strategic brilliance, most-times, overcome these adversaries.

I agree. That's the kind of writing I enjoy. Cap's strong enough for us to buy that he might be able to take a few hits from some stronger opponents, but it's his cunning and intelligence he uses to overtake his enemies. That's usually how Batman is handled too, when written well. It's when I see things like the Batman/Superman team up, in which Batman and Superman take on about fifty other superheroes and villains alike, and Batman's just bouncing around fending off meta-humans that I have to roll my eyes. When Batman's in an area when there are villains who could literally take his head off with one punch, or move faster then he could see, there's no way he should be able to go toe to toe with them in direct combat. That's just lazy writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"