• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CHiPS - Michael Pena and Dax Shepard are Ponch and Jon

That's what I gathered from the trailer.

So now studios want to see if what worked for 21 Jump Street can be replicated for other movie updates to shows you remember.

I was hoping for a more serious tone on this film & Pena is totally wrong for Ponch. They should've cast Vallderamma instead.

Also, I don't feel like this is going for the satirical self aware tone of Jump Street. It just simply looks like a comedy version of the TV show. Clearly the humor on display doesn't suggest a self aware tone.

Eh, didn't hate the trailer. Born in 1976. Watched the show as a kid. It's not a sacred cow though to me in any shape. Worst case... Slightly mediocre film comes out. Big whoop.

Yeah, this looks more like a Dukes of Hazzard than a 21 Jump Street.

Honestly... If it were in the DUKES wherlehouse... That would be as good as could honestly be expected. Actually given Dax's previous work I am betting the film could have some pretty decent vehicular stunts with minimal CGI as the Knoxville Duke's film.

Honestly... If it were in the DUKES wherlehouse... That would be as good as could honestly be expected. Actually given Dax's previous work I am betting the film could have some pretty decent vehicular stunts with minimal CGI as the Knoxville Duke's film.

You are aware of the movie version by Broken Lizard, right?

You are aware of the movie version by Broken Lizard, right?

Dukes of Hazzard wasn't a Broken Lizard film, it was just directed by one of its members and some of them make cameos in the film.

Really doubling down on the gay panic, I see.

Dukes of Hazzard wasn't a Broken Lizard film, it was just directed by one of its members and some of them make cameos in the film.

They all do, I think. One of them had a sizable supporting role.

Two of them had cameos as college campus security guards who were obviously similar to their Super Trooper roles, with exactly the same lines.

I sell this trailer for bag of chips. Everybody trying do 21 Jump Street movie for their comedies nowdays. It's almost as bad when every comic book movie tried to be The Dark Knight. God, please spare us.

[YT]UWMPBLBVwWo[/YT]

This was just barely funny as a 4 min SNL gag (and those two at least captured some of the spirit of the characters in jest; Valderrama is totally channeling Ponch!)

This looks like the same one note SNL gag stretched into a 2Hr movie with added "gay panic" jokes.
Why does stuff like this get made?
Dax Shepard ...who?
OK someone just threw a bunch of money at this guy? Why?
Explains the one joke and nobody to tell him it sucks, cause he's writer, producer and star?

Love Michael Peña, but in this trailer he looks and acts like he is just there cause he's got nothing better to do, sadly cause he probably doesn't)
Didn't know or care this was being made, and it looks just as quickly forgettable.

Last edited:
Won't be seeing this and doubt I'll even rent it

Won't be seeing this and doubt I'll even rent it
I am right there with you.
Why does Pena have to be playing somebody POSING as Ponch?
That is one of many things that I found ridiculous about this.
I loved the show.
This doesn't remind me of it in any way shape or form.

After seeing the trailer, I stand even more by what I said yesterday about Power Rangers beating it in its opening weekend. I doubt this'll crack the top 5 since it'll also be dealing with Beauty and the Beast, Kong: Skull Island and Life. I smell a bomb.

Outside of Bell, there was nothing to like about that trailer.

So basically, the plot they put together for Starsky & Hutch with Ben Stiller & Own Wilson has been recycled some years later....

So basically, the plot they put together for Starsky & Hutch with Ben Stiller & Own Wilson has been recycled some years later....

No not really. At all. Other than both being comedy remakes of cop shows there isn't much similarity

Yep. I actually really like the S&H movie. Or at least I did when I was younger. Haven't watched it in years.

The plot in that was about coke dealers finding an undetectable way to ship drugs
Chips seems to be about corrupt cops running a car theft ring

Again other than being comedy remakes of old shows I don't see the similarity. Unless you're going to say both are about buddy cops, which isn't something the Stiller/Wilson movie invented

Okay, to me, it just looks to have same concepts, aesthetic, feel, approach. In all fairness I really liked S&H, but I watched & liked the original programme first time round as I did Chips but something puts me right off this film version, oh that's it, it's tone is completely different to the original.

Last edited:
People need to get over tone switches when it comes to remakes of old corny silly shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"