81st Annual Academy Awards

Dark Donnie

Kenny Powers is Back!
Reaction score
The 81st Academy Awards nominations were announced today at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater, and boy is this year going to be exciting!

Hugh Jackman will be hosting the show, which will honor outstanding film achievements from 2008.

The Academy is keeping its presenters a secret until the day of the show, which will take place on Sunday, February 22 on ABC.

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Richard Jenkins--The Visitor
Frank Langella--Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn--Milk
Brad Pitt--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke--The Wrestler

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Josh Brolin--Milk
Robert Downey Jr.--Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman--Doubt
Heath Ledger--The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon--Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Anne Hathaway--Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie--Changeling
Melissa Leo--Frozen River
Meryl Streep--Doubt
Kate Winslet--Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams--Doubt Penelope Cruz--Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis--Doubt
Taraji P. Henson--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei--The Wrestler

BEST DIRECTOR
David Fincher--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard--Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant--Milk
Stephen Daldry--The Reader
Danny Boyle--Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Frozen
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
Wall-E

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Eric Roth--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley--Doubt
Peter Morgan--Frost/Nixon
David Hare--The Reader
Simon Beaufoy--Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
Wall-E

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Achievement in art direction

“Changeling” (Universal), Art Direction: James J. Murakami, Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Art Direction: Donald Graham Burt, Set Decoration: Victor J. Zolfo
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Art Direction: Nathan Crowley, Set Decoration: Peter Lando
“The Duchess” (Paramount Vantage, Pathé and BBC Films), Art Direction: Michael Carlin, Set Decoration: Rebecca Alleway
“Revolutionary Road” (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage), Art Direction: Kristi Zea, Set Decoration: Debra Schutt

Achievement in cinematography

“Changeling” (Universal), Tom Stern
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Claudio Miranda
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Wally Pfister
“The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), Chris Menges and Roger Deakins
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Anthony Dod Mantle

Achievement in film editing

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Lee Smith
“Frost/Nixon” (Universal), Mike Hill and Dan Hanley
“Milk” (Focus Features), Elliot Graham
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Chris Dickens

Achievement in makeup

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Greg Cannom
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan
“Hellboy II: The Golden Army” (Universal), Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement in sound editing

“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Richard King
“Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Tom Sayers
“WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood
“Wanted” (Universal),Wylie Stateman

Achievement in sound mixing

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Mark Weingarten
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty
“WALL-E” (Walt Disney),Tom Myers, Michael Semanick and Ben Burtt
“Wanted” (Universal), Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt

Achievement in visual effects

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
“Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

Surprised no Springsteen

Last edited:
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Frozen
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
Wall-E

'Mon thee,
Wall-E!

Iron Man for Best Visual Effects! Not once did it feel like you were watching a special effect in that movie and its next to impossible to tell which one is the CGI suit and which is the one they actually built.

The tank vs. missile bit of Iron Man was the only bit that I felt let it down on visual effects.

The tank vs. missile bit of Iron Man was the only bit that I felt let it down on visual effects.

Really? I thought that was great too. I liked the strut as he walked away... Showed rather nicely that Stark was beginning to get into this Superhero thing.

Here is a breakdown of number of nominations for the major contenders:

Top Five:
13 - Curious Case of Benjamin Button
10 - Slumdog Millionaire
10 - WALL-E
8 - The Dark Knight
8 - Milk

The Rest:
5 - Doubt
5 - Frost/Nixon
5 - The Reader
3 - Changeling
3 - Revolutionary Road
2 - The Wrestler

I think all the other nominees just had one. If you look at the top five, those are what deserved the BP nominations, IMO.

In Bruges was a sick movie. I loved that film. I did not get to see Frost/Nixon, though I wanted to. I was dissapointed by Wall-E and I didn't see Bolt, why would I? And I am sure Kung Fu Panda was horrible.

I hope Rourke takes it for sure.

Iron Man for Best Visual Effects! Not once did it feel like you were watching a special effect in that movie and its next to impossible to tell which one is the CGI suit and which is the one they actually built.
I agree, i really hope IM gets this one :woot:

I liked TDK, really liked it actually, but it wasn't Best Pic material. It just wasn't. They captured everything about the comic characters to a tee, but in the grand scheme, it wasn't one of the best of the year to me. The Wrestler was. I think no one can gripe since it's already got 8 other nods.

Mark 1 looked CGI as hell when he was breaking out from the cave.

The Academy is scared to death to honor what really was the best movie of the year, only because it was based off a comic book. It's more important to honor films with political agendas.

Screw them :yay:

Last edited:
I guess 'The Wrestler' and 'TDK' being based on "Low brow" forms of entertainment did them in, hell even the Boss got snubbed, this is a very indicative list. All i really care about now is Rourke winning, the rest have become merely a political hand grabbing exercise.

I liked TDK, really liked it actually, but it wasn't Best Pic material. It just wasn't. They captured everything about the comic characters to a tee, but in the grand scheme, it wasn't one of the best of the year to me. The Wrestler was. I think no one can gripe since it's already got 8 other nods.
I agree with you, but dont u dare say that in the Batman part of the forum :hehe:

Fans will gripe and complain and get angry, trust me. It wont end for a while.

Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder. :heart:

As a Batman fan I am a little disappointed TDK won't be up for Best Picture, but I'm not suprised or anything, not a big deal. :shrug:

Wanted received a nomination. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Glad Heath received a nom, but I wish TDK or Nolan had been recognized. But as usual, it mostly got nominations for awards that no one cares about, like sound editing and mixing (which, ironically, I felt was one of the films weaker points).

Looks like Slumdog or Frost/Nixon are poised to take Best Picture, but for the life of me, I still have no interest in seeing either of those movies. I will... eventually... but all in all, this list is a bit disappointing.

Why the hell did they only nominate three songs? Aren't there usually five noms?

I guess 'The Wrestler' and 'TDK' being based on "Low brow" forms of entertainment did them in, hell even the Boss got snubbed, this is a very indicative list. All i really care about now is Rourke winning, the rest have become merely a political hand grabbing exercise.
He better does.

Honestly, considering how many mainstream people loved TDK, ain't that enough? Or do you need the validation of the Academy to clench it?

..after the yes/no/maybe fiasco about the score.. nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"