81st Annual Academy Awards

Well, going down the list, this is who I want to win the remainder.

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Richard Jenkins--The Visitor
Frank Langella--Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn--Milk
Brad Pitt--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke--The Wrestler

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Josh Brolin--Milk
Robert Downey Jr.--Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman--Doubt
Heath Ledger--The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon--Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Anne Hathaway--Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie--Changeling
Melissa Leo--Frozen River
Meryl Streep--Doubt
Kate Winslet--Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams--Doubt Penelope Cruz--Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis--Doubt
Taraji P. Henson--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei--The Wrestler

BEST DIRECTOR
David Fincher--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard--Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant--Milk
Stephen Daldry--The Reader
Danny Boyle--Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Frozen
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
Wall-E

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Eric Roth--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley--Doubt
Peter Morgan--Frost/Nixon
David Hare--The Reader
Simon Beaufoy--Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
Wall-E

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Why the hell did they only nominate three songs? Aren't there usually five noms?
I think it's usually three noms. When Three Six Mafia won they were up against the theme from Crash and Dolly Parton's song from Transamerica.

I think it's usually three noms. When Three Six Mafia won they were up against the theme from Crash and Dolly Parton's song from Transamerica.

I still remember when they won, that was a trip. That was the TDK upset of that year.

Wanted received TWO nominations. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Glad Heath received a nom, but I wish TDK or Nolan had been recognized. But as usual, it mostly got nominations for awards that no one cares about, like sound editing and mixing (which, ironically, I felt was one of the films weaker points).

Looks like Slumdog or Frost/Nixon are poised to take Best Picture, but for the life of me, I still have no interest in seeing either of those movies. I will... eventually... but all in all, this list is a bit disappointing.

Why the hell did they only nominate three songs? Aren't there usually five noms?

*Fixed:yay:

Ok maybe i'm confused but isnt Kate Winslet nomination for The Reader and not Revolutionary Road?

I agree with you, but dont u dare say that in the Batman part of the forum :hehe:

Fans will gripe and complain and get angry, trust me. It wont end for a while.

I just went in there...

THINGS ARE WORSE THAN EVER!

I think Slumdog will repeat. Can't see Button taking best picture. I don't think TDK should have gotten nominated either. Only fanboys will complain about that. I see Boyle winning director. I think Winslet will win over Streep although its a toss up. And I still like Rourke to win it for the Wrestler.

The ones I'm interested in....

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Richard Jenkins--The Visitor
Frank Langella--Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn--Milk
Brad Pitt--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke--The Wrestler

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Josh Brolin--Milk
Robert Downey Jr.--Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman--Doubt
Heath Ledger--The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon--Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams--Doubt Penelope Cruz--Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis--Doubt
Taraji P. Henson--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei--The Wrestler

Best Make-up? Really?

I mean, the look they gave for the Joker was awesome but I don't know if I'd say it was award winning.

Wow, what a predictable list of nominees. And ofcourse, the lack of the Dark Knight in the big categories... After the big wins of The Departed and No Countrty for Old Men I thought the Oscars were cool again. Too bad I was wrong.

No best Motion Picture nom for The Wrestler?
Now i'm a sad panda

im glad dark knight wasnt nominated for best picture. it was a good movie, but not best picture movie. i would have been disappointed in the academy if it had pandered to popular opinion.

Best Make-up? Really?

I mean, the look they gave for the Joker was awesome but I don't know if I'd say it was award winning.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Maybe they were taking Two-Face into account too? But that was mostly (or maybe all) CG.

Wait, Downey Jr got nominated for Tropic Thunder? Well that instantly makes it one of the most overrated movies of the last few years.

BEST PICTURE
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
MILK
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
THE READER
FROST/NIXON

BEST ACTOR
Sean Penn - MILK
Mickey Rourke - THE WRESTLER
Frank Langella - FROST/NIXON
Brad Pitt - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Richard Jenkins - THE VISITOR

BEST ACTRESS
Meryl Streep - DOUBT
Anne Hathaway - RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
Kate Winslet - THE READER
Melissa Leo - FROZEN RIVER
Angelina Jolie - CHANGELING

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Heath Ledger - THE DARK KNIGHT
Robert Downey, Jr. - TROPIC THUNDER
Philip Seymour Hoffman - DOUBT
Josh Brolin - MILK
Michael Shannon - REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Marisa Tomei - THE WRESTLER
Amy Adams - DOUBT
Penelope Cruz - VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
Taraji P. Henson - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Viola Davis - DOUBT

BEST ANIMATED FILM
WALL-E
KUNG FU PANDA
BOLT

BEST DIRECTOR
Danny Boyle - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
David Fincher - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Stephen Daldry - THE READER
Ron Howard - FROST/NIXON
Gus Van Sant - MILK

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Simon Beaufoy - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
Eric Roth - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Peter Morgan - FROST/NIXON
John Patrick Shanley - DOUBT
David Hare - THE READER

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Courtney Hunt - FROZEN RIVER
Dustin Lance Black - MILK
Martin McDonough - IN BRUGES
Mike Leigh - HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon - WALL-E

BEST ART DIRECTION
CHANGELING
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE DUCHESS
REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
CHANGELING
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE READER
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
AUSTRALIA
THE DUCHESS
MILK
REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
THE BETRAYAL
ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE ROAD
MAN ON WIRE
THE GARDEN
TROUBLE THE WATER

BEST EDITING
THE DARK KNIGHT
FROST/NIXON
MILK
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

BEST MAKEUP
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
DEFIANCE
MILK
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
WALL-E

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Down to Earth" - WALL-E
"Jai Ho" - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
"O Saya" - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

BEST SOUND EDITING
THE DARK KNIGHT
IRON MAN
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
WALL-E
WANTED

BEST SOUND MIXING
THE DARK KNIGHT
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
WALL-E
WANTED

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
IRON MAN
THE DARK KNIGHT

When you get into the more technical ones, Im not sure I know what Im talking about

I couldnt care less if THe Dark Knight got a Best Picture nomination, but I would have rather it got one, not because it deserved it, but because we're going to have to hear about it not getting one for a couple months now

I am rooting for In Bruges as Best Original Screenplay but i think it will go to happy-go-lucky.

Hellboy 2 got a nomination. Thats pretty cool.

NO SPRINGSTEEN! WHAT THE HELL!

Last edited:
Calling it, Rourke gets best actor and Slumdog gets best picture

This is a very difficult Oscars to predict. Reason being that this was a fairly lackluster year for films, and almost everything on the nominees list was good but not great.

Wait, Downey Jr got nominated for Tropic Thunder? Well that instantly makes it one of the most overrated movies of the last few years.

I think he was nominated for the success of Iron Man as much as he was for Tropic Thunder. He was one of the few nominations I was happy with.

Having seen most of the big films on the list and the smaller ones too... I'm of course in the minority that for the most part agrees with the Academy's list.

Dark Knight, the third act alone should keep it from winning anything close to Best Picture, and you guys are telling me Christian Bale deserves a Best Acting Nom?

The Wrestler, okay it was good, and it touching in an off-beat sort of way and I dug the Italian Neo-Realist type of vibe I got from it. However, if we're going praise unconventionality in terms of story then where is Synecdoche, New York, which of course most of you did not see. No, the wrestler deserved two things "Best Song by Springsteen" (whihc it didn't get :mad:) and Best Actor which it did. Everything else while good, was not amazing.

I'm also glad Eastwood wasn't able to hoodwink anymore oscar nominations this year.

I'm not upset that Dark Knight didn't get nominated for Best Picture. But The Reader? That film was terrible.

At least go with Gran Torino or The Wrestler or Doubt or WALL-E or about ten other films over that piece of garbage.

I'm not upset that Dark Knight didn't get nominated for Best Picture. But The Reader? That film was terrible.

At least go with Gran Torino or The Wrestler or Doubt or WALL-E or about ten other films over that piece of garbage.

The Reader was great, I don't want come off like a pretentious dick, but its a very subtle film, and I'm surprised it got nominated. Its not a Crash or Gran Torino that doesn't tell you what to think, nor does it pander to American ignorance and hubris. Very powerful film and one of my favorites this year, its rare that something like that comes out of Hollywood these days. Again I'm ecstatic that Gran Torino didn't get any nominations. T

Having seen most of the big films on the list and the smaller ones too... I'm of course in the minority that for the most part agrees with the Academy's list.

Dark Knight, the third act alone should keep it from winning anything close to Best Picture, and you guys are telling me Christian Bale deserves a Best Acting Nom?

The Wrestler, okay it was good, and it touching in an off-beat sort of way and I dug the Italian Neo-Realist type of vibe I got from it. However, if we're going praise unconventionality in terms of story then where is Synecdoche, New York, which of course most of you did not see. No, the wrestler deserved two things "Best Song by Springsteen" (whihc it didn't get :mad:) and Best Actor which it did. Everything else while good, was not amazing.

I'm also glad Eastwood wasn't able to hoodwink anymore oscar nominations this year.

Agreed....that's a snub. People had that as the favorite and it wasn't even nominated.

I think his performance in TT was amazing, i love the fact that he got the nom :woot:

I'm so glad Richard Jenkins got nominated for The Visitor, I hope he wins ! \o/

The Reader getting that 5th nom is outragous. However, the other 4 easily deserve the nom. I won't say TDK is the movie that should have got the 5th nom, cause if Doubt or Wall E got that nom, I wouldn't say anything. But, the Oscars usually have that 5th movie that shouldn't have been nominated that did, and this year it is The Reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"