"Citizen Prime" - real life superhero

Mike_D202

Green Lantern's roommate
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/citizenprime0430-CR.html

His bat mobile is a Nissan X-Terra.
His weapon of choice is a cell phone.
He is Citizen Prime, an anti-crime activist on a mission reminiscent of The Guardian Angels, but with a comic book flair.

A couple of nights a week, this valley business executive named Jim (I agreed to conceal his last name) dresses up as his invented superhero character, and patrols valley streets. When you meet him, you can't help but notice his sincere enthusiasm and his incredibly well-crafted costume. Half embarrased, he admits the outfit cost about 4,000 dollars to create. It includes a silk cape, leather mask, and a steel-plated upper body shield designed by a professional armor maker.

On a Tuesday night in April, I followed Prime on a shift. As part of a recent effort to interact with the community more often, he spent a couple hours in the late evening strolling Mill Avenue in Tempe, mingling with the crowds.

While he introduces himself to passerby's, he distributes a homemade pamphlet that describes his mission. His message can seem very simplistic.

"What would you do if you saw somebody fall in the street?" he asks a trio of college co-eds. "I'd help him out," says one of them. "Exactly," says Prime. "And that's what heroes should do. They should be ready to help someone in need," he says.

I wonder: Does he need to go through all of this work just to tell us that?

Prime points out that there is more. His pamphlet discusses ways to become involved in the community. He invites people to e-mail or call him if they "have a problem, or need help," he says, (he's quick to add that he doesn't lend money.)

The other half of Citizen Prime's mission involves driving in his car and looking for potential trouble. On this particular night, he trolls a neighborhood in the west valley near 51st Ave. and Indian School. The area is prone to property crime, prostitution and occasional robberies. "I've found that my mere presence in these areas, I'm hoping, makes a difference," he says, as he drives slowly, surveying both sides of the street.

While on patrol, he has called police if he saw something or someone suspiscious. He's also prepared take photos. He once guided police by phone to a drunk driver he spotted on the freeway. He also helped someone change a tire once. Prime admits his exact role in the community is still a work in progress. He's trying to get into schools and hospitals to give inspirational messages to children.

In case Prime ever does see an actual crime or violence, his car is equipped with an electric stun gun, a police baton and a bean bag stun gun among other non-lethal gadgets. He's never used them and says he hopes he never has to.

Our night on the streets ended quietly. No phone calls, photos or tazers needed.

The next morning, Prime sent me an E-mail. In it, he wrote that police pulled him over on the way home. The irony was not lost on him. A self-proclaimed superhero is caught speeding. You have to wonder if the body armor and cape helped him or hurt him in that moment.

Fortunately for Prime, he only received a warning. However, the officer advised the man in yellow to become certified by police for a citizen volunteer program. Something tells me, for Citizen Prime, that would be much too conventional.

citizenprime.jpg

His myspace is http://www.myspace.com/paragonprime

Haha, "paragon"...I wonder if hes played City of Heroes too many times.

Cool.

See? I told you guys it wasn't that hard for there to be a genuine superhero. Doesn't matter that he doesn't have powers.

I'm surprised dude hasn't got busted for smoking the refers, cuz he's obviously smoking something . . .

I really have to wonder what will come of this.I doubt hes got any major fighting skills and if he ends up dead i bet new laws are instated.

He seems like a down-to-earth kinda guy. I think real criminals would just look at him as over-the-top and a bit funny. Heck I'd think that they wouldnt wanna do anything criminal with him around just so they dont draw too much attention to themselves.

I wonder where the hell he got the bean bag shooter, LOL.

He needs one of these:

gif.gif

http://www.ajoka.com/Shooting_Net/shootingnet1.htm

LOFL! Check out his Myspace. Be sure to watch the video and look at his friends list. Hilarious. I love that Citizen Prime is a smoker. Way to be a role model, dude. :up:

jag

Ya'know...honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how many people dress up like Superheroes yet go through absolutely no training. If you're going to act like an idiot, at least put some effort in.

LOFL! Check out his Myspace. Be sure to watch the video and look at his friends list. Hilarious. I love that Citizen Prime is a smoker. Way to be a role model, dude. :up:

jag

LOL! Right! and dude said he's got an 'athletic' build :whatever: dude's only athletic feat is 2nd place in a pie-eating contest

Seriously. Watch the video. You'll laugh your ass off. He talks about how he can see other people with super powers, even though they don't know they have them, and then unlock those powers and teach them how to use them for good. The guy's seriously insane.

jag

I added dude as one of my friends just for gits and shiggles . . . it would be bad ace if he had his song set to Bon Jovi "Cowboy" or something equally as hilarious . . . .

Seriously. Watch the video. You'll laugh your ass off. He talks about how he can see other people with super powers, even though they don't know they have them, and then unlock those powers and teach them how to use them for good. The guy's seriously insane.

jag

. . . . watching . . .

Actually, I think his video is an audition tape for Who Wants To Be A Superhero.

There seem to be quite a few people claiming to be 'real life superheros' judging from his friends list. Most of them seem to also be 40 year old men who are out of shape.

Also, they can't call themselves 'super', at best they are just regular heroes, if that.

I would go more with sad, lonely and nuts though

"Are you ready to be . . . . . . ehhhhPRimed?"

watch out for this guy, he has the power to tell if you have a good heart after having a nice 4-hour conversation . . .

Actually, I think his video is an audition tape for Who Wants To Be A Superhero.

I think it's proof he needs therapy. But, yeah, his friends list is full of all kinds of hilarious characters.

jag

LMAO!

And I agree with ShadowBoxing. Just check out this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdumN1rVZN0

That guy is gonna get himself hurt!
"What would stop someone from doing this" - bullets, the law, common sense...aside from those things, nothing.

The truth is my post about training is totally facetious. Part of training, as I'm sure jag will atest to, is actually understanding your limits and more importantly human limits. When you're scrawny and have "no powers" it's easy to look at a bodybuilder and think "wow, he is really strong, if he would only fight crime...". But when you actually start getting there you realize the limits to being strong, how little it actually matters. It has it's benefits, but no man could train to the level shown by Batman in the comics...those people are exaggerated to extremes.

Mr. Silent, I've given you some thought. Meet me over here at camera two.

- Look, I know you want to be a superhero, I used to run around in a cape when I was little -- and there is certainly a reason I invest money in red oakley sunglasses. But, look, number one: "Super" denotes a power, something supernatural and metaphysical. Optic blasts, telekenesis, flight, telepathy, super strength, invisibility, etc. So you aren't "super", you're normal, and by all appearances not even above average. As for hero. You know last time I checked I did not need to dress up in a looney outfit to return purses and get kittens out of trees. It's not brave to dress up like a loon to "face the ridicule", it's looney.

LOL! Right! and dude said he's got an 'athletic' build :whatever: dude's only athletic feat is 2nd place in a pie-eating contest
The following people list "Athletic builds"
l_04f9f41ddbe1e80b25021f6713f49b32.jpg

933139402_l.jpg

1348920327_l.jpg

:dry:

Well to me you ain't super unless you have powers which is not possible. We can all be heroes if we tired but not to the point of going after beating the **** out of theifs and sending them to jail. Small things can improve things but you don't a costume for it.

Ya'know...honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how many people dress up like Superheroes yet go through absolutely no training. If you're going to act like an idiot, at least put some effort in.

He has a gas gun, taser, and steel plated body armour. I'd call that effort. And there's nothing to suggest that he's in poor physical condition either (at least, I couldn't make much of his build with that suit of his).

Mr. Silent, I've given you some thought. Meet me over here at camera two.

- Look, I know you want to be a superhero, I used to run around in a cape when I was little -- and there is certainly a reason I invest money in red oakley sunglasses. But, look, number one: "Super" denotes a power, something supernatural and metaphysical. Optic blasts, telekenesis, flight, telepathy, super strength, invisibility, etc. So you aren't "super", you're normal, and by all appearances not even above average. As for hero. You know last time I checked I did not need to dress up in a looney outfit to return purses and get kittens out of trees. It's not brave to dress up like a loon to "face the ridicule", it's looney.

What's wrong with being loony? If they want to help people, what should it matter that they have a flair for theatrics while doing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"