Colin Trevorrow Is Episode IX's Director

Yeah, you're right, at the very least MoS had the action and the visuals. Its problems mainly stemmed from Goyer, so if Rian is writing IX we have a better start there.

Yeah, you're right, at the very least MoS had the action and the visuals. Its problems mainly stemmed from Goyer, so if Rian is writing IX we have a better start there.

Well let me put it to you this way.

Let me ask you from me as a film geek, to you, as a film maker (This absolutely applies to any other Hypsters here who are film makers, Gia is the only one I'm aware of). Do you want something like JW or Avatar on your resume, that made a lot of money, but half the viewers didn't like it, maybe didn't hate it, and the half that did like it but have no real passionate feeling towards.

Or.

Do you want a Man of Steel or Prometheus on your resume? A movie that still made a lot of money. But, the half that didn't like it hated it, and the half that do like it? They felt challenged by it? By it's themes, by it's story, by it's meaning. They think about it. They're affected by it beyond "Yeah it was fun".

I always go with "flawed but intriguing", whether I'm a viewer or not. Prometheus all the way. Even with Marquand, RotJ fits the bill.

Marquand stepped up his game for RotJ, I can't stress that enough. People will say the finale with Luke and Vader was easy, but Ratner had an easy finale with X-Men against the Brotherhood and we saw what happened there.

Lol, who says the Luke/Vader finale was easy? If they mean "predictable", f**k that. Even if it was, it was done well. I don't care if Marquand did it or if Lucas ghost-directed it, but it was all there. And it was so powerful, it made the terrible fight choreography powerful, cos it was pure character and emotion.

The ROTJ duel is nowhere near as awesome as the one in ESB, but its still a highlight of the series. I don't think it was predictable, necessarily. The ROTJ duel also contains some of the best writing in the series.

It's exactly what I said. I wasn't being ironic.

I hope you didn't accuse me of hyperbole, either.

Let me repeat that I wasn't being ironic when I said CTrev isn't awful. That means that, imo, he's indeed not awful. So the hyperbole you said I posted isn't there. So... HAH?

Sorry for misinterpreting you then. I thought you were comparing Whedon to Trevorrow. As in "at least Whedon isn't awful (like Trevorrow)."

Lol, who says the Luke/Vader finale was easy? If they mean "predictable", f**k that. Even if it was, it was done well. I don't care if Marquand did it or if Lucas ghost-directed it, but it was all there. And it was so powerful, it made the terrible fight choreography powerful, cos it was pure character and emotion.

When I said 'easy'. I mean Marquand had two films worth of built up story, and the most anticipated conclusion to a trilogy of all time to this day. He had John Williams music. He had everything in place for him. But he stepped up his game to deliver on that finale, when he could have just as easily messed it up.

Ooooooh. Yeah, well, it's weird, he didn't save the weak parts of the script, but he did deliver when it came to the good ones.

I mean honestly, if Episode IX ends up being the ROTJ of the new trilogy, there are far worse problems to have.

The thing is, we all still need to see TFA to get a feel for the actual quality level we're going to be dealing with and where JJ sets the bar.

If it does, time will get kinder to it, like it probably has with RotJ itself, but won't it be a bit of a shame?

Disney obviously has a whole thing set up via the saga, and if episode 7 isn't well received, it's still ****ing Star Wars. They won't put the remaining flicks on hiatus.

If it does, time will get kinder to it, like it probably has with RotJ itself, but won't it be a bit of a shame?

It will but, idk...I feel like the possibility of it being the weakest in the franchise is always fairly strong just because historically third movies are the hardest to pull off.

I'm just kind of bracing myself for Star Wars to become a bit of a different animal now under Disney. I mean, what happens if something Rogue One comes along and blows everyone away? It's entirely possible that we get a spinoff that ends up being a better movie than one of the saga films.

It's hard to know where the quality spikes are going to be with so much content coming down the pipe. At the same time, it's hard to expect wall to wall greatness too. There's likely going to be a bad apple in the bunch somewhere. It's all just a little far off for me to fully get my head around all of this actually happening.

I think the thing that feels somewhat suspect about his hiring is it's hard to imagine him getting this gig if not for Jurassic World overachieving at the box office. I'm not saying that's definitely it, but it's just hard for me to imagine this happening if JW was the same exact film it was and instead did "solid" numbers. I could be wrong, but it's hard to shake that feeling. I actually liked Jurassic World, btw, for what it was. But it does kinda feel like he got hired based on the response to that film, not the actual film itself.

At the same time, it's the only film of his I've seen so far so I'm still not entirely sure what kind of filmmaker he is. Jurassic World is pretty much designed to be a big, dumb, broad blockbuster and that's exactly what it is.

Overall, I'm not super-worried about the quality of the movie yet (let's see how Episodes VII and VIII are before we start worrying about that), but on some level it does just feel like a missed opportunity for someone that is perhaps more deserving of the gig.

Trevorrow was very close to getting the Episode 7 gig.

Let's also not forget that Irvin Kershner was an aging journeyman when he got hired to direct Empire. I'm sure these movies are heavily story boarded even before a director is hired.

Joss pitched for Ep IX, but wanted final cut, $20 million and control of the marketing, so they laughed him out of the building. Francis Lawrence then pitched for IX, but I guess in a battle between mediocrity, mediocrity will win.
Where did you read that? I don't remember Whedon pitching for SW but it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if he was laughed out of the building.

I think it's inevitable for an Anthology film to be better than a main episode, they have more freedom with their tone and can try delivering a different kind of experience. Hopefuly all these films will keep the franchise fresh instead of draging it down, when you have too many films in a franchise there's always the trouble of tiring the audience.

Joss pitched for Ep IX, but wanted final cut, $20 million and control of the marketing, so they laughed him out of the building. Francis Lawrence then pitched for IX, but I guess in a battle between mediocrity, mediocrity will win.

Where's all this info from?

Wait, Francis Lawrence was in the running for this?

:csad: Damn, son...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"