Composers for the Captain Marvel movie

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Hi everyone, who do you want to see compose this movie?

I would love to see Shirley walker compose it, she did escape from L.A, Batman : mask of the phantasm. Even the love bug!

Oh wait they should bring David Arnold in! He did the score for Independence Day, Godzilla (the first American one) and tomorrow never dies. That would be fun!

He'd be a good one. It's tough to tell where Fleck/Boden would go since they've used different composers on their previous films except when they used Broken Social Scene on two films. I don't see them fitting with a big superhero film like CM so they likely won't be used here.

Arnold would be awesome, really miss him on the Bond stuff.

But yeah, definitely someone oldschool in the Silvestri mold. Bruce Broughton, David Newman, Powell maybe. Hell, offer it to Doyle, get him back in the MCU.

Pinar Toprak has confirmed she is composing the music for captain marvel!

She did the music for Fortnite, the game people won’t stop talking about. I can’t wait to hear what she comes up with!

Still not all the way through Krypton yet, but liking what I've heard from that, so this is cool.

Does seem a little on-the-nose the way they do this though, first female composer for the MCU, better throw her the female-hero movie! Same deal with the co-director. Ehh, whatever. They're talented, that's all that matters.

Throw a female director or composer a bone with a Cap movie sometime, that'd be interesting and unexpected. It all just comes off a little cynically "girl power!" here though.

I don’t think so. I mean they got a woman to write guardians of the galaxy and that didn’t star a woman. I reckon Pinar was just the best person for the job.

And even if it was a girl power thing, what’s wrong with that. If this is the movie that gets more women creatives in do it

Hi everyone, who do you want to see compose this movie?

I would love to see Shirley walker compose it, she did escape from L.A, Batman : mask of the phantasm. Even the love bug!

Shirley Walker died in 2006.

Some of Toprak’s composing credits include SyFy’s Krypton and the video game Fortnite. Her scores have won two International Film Music Critics Association Awards: one in 2010 for the film The Lightkeepers and a second in 2011 for the documentary The Wind Gods. Her win for The Lightkeepers made her the first woman to win an IFMCA Award.
:yay:

Pinar Toprak: Topic:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXNUNNQSJyVOnbb_k-X701Q/featured

First Race 1851 (from "The Wind Gods"):

[YT]AHHgs6r8cfk[/YT]

I don’t think so. I mean they got a woman to write guardians of the galaxy and that didn’t star a woman. I reckon Pinar was just the best person for the job.

And even if it was a girl power thing, what’s wrong with that. If this is the movie that gets more women creatives in do it

Oh, hey, it's not a major thing for me. Actually pretty psyched we're getting a female composer for one of these things.

I dunno, just pointing out the time-and-place they decide to do it, I guess. It's not a hard rule of course though, Panther had a female cinematographer, and that was cool of them.

If she's the best for the job, sound. That's how it should be.

Just a heads up, there’s a few websites out there saying there’s been a leak of the captain marvel score. Don’t fall for it, it’s already confirmed as bogus.

Still can’t wait though

They should have gotten the homie Ludwig Goransson to do the score. He knows how to really be creative and make unique scores. Using the talking drum for Black Panther was genius. Just shows the level he's at.

My worries for this score is that it will just be a Captain America: TFA-lite type score. (And not the Winter Soldier score because I think that was a great score as well). They'll use generic heroic brass, strings, other instruments that could work for any other hero besides just Captain Marvel. Like think of using Black Panther's Wakanda theme for any other hero, it wouldn't work because the context of the score is specific to that location and those characters. They could do something similar where the music is specific to Captain Marvel, just be creative. Use less common chord progressions in your score. Look at Final Fantasy 13's score (yes the game sucks), but I think a score like that could work for Captain Marvel. There's so many creative risks they could be doing with the score that would ultimately help the entire movie.

Let's actually hear what Toprak can do first because saying she wasn't talented enough to possibly do this film's score.

Absolutely. ^

For the record, Goransson's not even all that good. Fine, but any composer could have added some tribal beats to a Giacchino/Bates type score, he's hardly the big visionary awesome guy he's made out to be.

Sure Toprak's easily a peer of his talent-wise, she'll do fine.

I like goransson.

I get why people would be worried about a winter soldier style theme but to be fair, that would suit this story well. I mean carol is a fighter pilot and she is inspiring and her supername is literally captain (marvel).

I know what you mean about black panther’s score but on a different note it would be horrible if they did something too similar to that. Or if they went to another extreme and just gave Carol this sugar rush type song like from wreck it Ralph lol

Panther's score was hardly bad or anything, by any means. He's just overrated as a musician, there wasn't anything particularly inspired about the score. It's just "gets the job done, and pretty much what you'd expect".

Really want something sort of oldschool for Carol though. Score this like a big action movie that came out in the 90s. Big, brassy, memorable. Arnold on Independence Day type of thing, and take some cues from Silvestri's Cap stuff in terms of a theme. Just 90s feel rather than 40s.

Someone mentioned JAG way back when, that'd be an awesome mood/vibe. Echoes of the "big optimistic taking flight" aerial vibes of The Rocketeer, but with a percussive & brassy military feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLk0Djz6f_M

Absolutely. ^

For the record, Goransson's not even all that good. Fine, but any composer could have added some tribal beats to a Giacchino/Bates type score, he's hardly the big visionary awesome guy he's made out to be.

Sure Toprak's easily a peer of his talent-wise, she'll do fine.

Goransson intensively researched and traveled all over Africa for inspiration for the score. He's walked on foot and met countless of performers in the continent to contribute to get a blend of authentic sounds all around. You think barely any other of the generic composers MCU has gotten would have gone through all that effort just for the score of a movie the studio didn't even expect to hit over $800 million? Say what you want about saying that he's "hardly the big visionary" but he certainly showed that he actually had passion for the project.

And it wasn't just "tribal beats" being used, that would be lazy and generic. Yes anyone could have done THAT but you would not have gotten anywhere with generic "tribal beats" that sound no different from what has already been done in Hollywood blockbusters. Listen to Howard's King Kong score when the Characters encounter the tribe there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY0UugVlbIc It is just generic tribal beats, it could be replaced with the beginning of this track from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qifgc6UZ2VQ Now this isn't to disrespect either of those overall scores because those films both have great OSTs overall but would those "tribal beats" magically be less generic if they had brass being played over them? No. Those sounds do nothing to make those areas or the fictional tribes they are presenting feel alive or distinguishable. You don't see this with Black Panther's soundtrack. The use of the talking drum in the score truly was more creative than any generic "Tribal beat" because it gave a personality to the region and its characters. You haven't heard something like this used in hardly any other Hollywood ost depicting a fictional tribe, so it automatically makes it stand out.

Panther's score was hardly bad or anything, by any means. He's just overrated as a musician, there wasn't anything particularly inspired about the score. It's just "gets the job done, and pretty much what you'd expect".
Yeah there isn't ANYTHING inspired about the score. He didn't travel to Africa, get authentic performers, attempt to take various tribes of Africa and blend their music together. He didn't even bother to make any of the music distinguishable. He had 0 vision.

I mean it's whatever, not everybody is gonna like the same things. It's perfectly fine to think it is a lame score or even a horrible one (although of course you weren't saying it was bad) or to think Goransson is overrated. But you are really underplaying how well Ludwig thought over the project. To claim it as uninspired and generic while ignoring evidence of the contrary is a bit much. Even if you don't care for it, objectively it has a lot of elements most other blockbuster osts don't have. That's all. (Didn't mean to come across as hostile with my sarcasm fam. I hate to seem like a ranting fanboy, just wanted to share my thoughts).

Now I didn't say Toprak wasn't talented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUqoegX4VU
This is pretty good. I'm just more interested in the approach and mindset that she will take. There's been known veterans like Danny Elfman with AOU making generic scores because they approach the content too mundanely at times. Sometimes a less mundane approach can help, if Toprak has that I'll be satisfied. So in other words I want them to look at the character of Captain Marvel, look what makes them unique and to build an OST to reflect that so to speak.

I get why people would be worried about a winter soldier style theme but to be fair, that would suit the story well. I mean carol is a fighter pilot and she is inspiring and her supername is literally Captain.

Lol yeah I can respect that. Like I have no problem with Winter Soldier's OST because I think that is also one of the best MCU scores to date. Like look at how emotional the end of the movie where cap goes " cause' I'm with you till the end of the line" to Bucky was. That was great. AND if you asked people to hum the melody of the piano when Bucky is saving cap from drowning THEY COULD DO IT! That's because not only was the scene memorable but the music was as well, that same melody was throughout the entire film and it wasn't bland stuff that you wouldn't be able to distinguish from a typical temp track. But you are right that the characters have similarity so I can understand an approach that is similar, but there's still many ways they can make it distinguishable if that makes any sense. Some of that can be achieved by taking risks and using things that other composers normally wouldn't.

I know what you mean about black panther's score but on a different note it would be horrible if they did something too similar to that. Or if they went to another extreme and just gave Carol this sugar rush type song like from Wreck it Ralph lol.
Hey it would be a risk but interesting lol. Or heck imagine Captain Marvel with an anime type ost lol just kidding that would be horrible. But hey we'll just have to wait and see. I think taking risks with these scores can payoff bigtime.

Let's actually hear what Toprak can do first because saying she wasn't talented enough to possibly do this film's score.

Get outta here with that common sense, let the internet experts find something to be worried about.

I wonder what sort of theme carol will have? I reckon carol and talos need two iconic scores like Sarah Conner and the T1000.

I reckon they’ll give carol a kind of militaristic theme with a bugle or trumpet but I think that might be a bit predictable. Just as long as it sounds nothing like wonder woman’s theme I would be happy.

Talos needs to have a creepy sort of theme

Carol herself definitely needs something big & brassy & old fashioned, methinks. Not quite taking it so far as The Captain America March, but in that ballpark of "heroic & hummable". And a good deal more traditional score than, say, the Jackman stuff for the Cap sequels.

Nothin' wrong with cheesing it up for this, especially with the 90s setting. Bruce Broughton, that type of sound.

Something like The Rocketeer theme would be a good blueprint, too. Bright, action-adventure-y, and just oozing that feeling of taking off in flight. Probably something not quite as sweet & innocent as this though, packing a little more military punch. But definitely want something as melodic & "yay, superheroes!" as these two examples, the type of thing we don't get much of anymore. MCU has a few of them, but really hoping they lean a little more The First Avenger type of deal with this one.

Considering the time period this takes place in, I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something a little like scores from that time period done by James Horner or Hans Zimmer. Not to mention that we’ve seen photos of Carol wearing T-shirt’s bearing logos of rock bands.

Something like Trevor Rabin’s score for Armageddon. Bold and upliftingly patriotic music to represent her Air Force background, with the addition of guitar to represent her hot shot pilot attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"