Composers for the Captain Marvel movie

Carol herself definitely needs something big & brassy & old fashioned, methinks. Not quite taking it so far as The Captain America March, but in that ballpark of "heroic & hummable". And a good deal more traditional score than, say, the Jackman stuff for the Cap sequels.

Nothin' wrong with cheesing it up for this, especially with the 90s setting. Bruce Broughton, that type of sound.

Something like The Rocketeer theme would be a good blueprint, too. Bright, action-adventure-y, and just oozing that feeling of taking off in flight. Probably something not quite as sweet & innocent as this though, packing a little more military punch. But definitely want something as melodic & "yay, superheroes!" as these two examples, the type of thing we don't get much of anymore. MCU has a few of them, but really hoping they lean a little more The First Avenger type of deal with this one.

Uhh no thanks.

Well, it'll probably have more in common with Zimmer and the RCP sound, given that Toprak was a protege of his. I imagine it'll sound similar to her work on The Wind Gods, The Challenger or The Tides of Fate, as mclay mention earlier.

I just hope she's given room to stretch and explore, as her action stuff so far has sounded a tad generic and trailer music-y.

Considering the time period this takes place in, I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something a little like scores from that time period done by James Horner or Hans Zimmer. Not to mention that we’ve seen photos of Carol wearing T-shirt’s bearing logos of rock bands.

Something like Trevor Rabin’s score for Armageddon. Bold and upliftingly patriotic music to represent her Air Force background, with the addition of guitar to represent her hot shot pilot attitude.

I reckon you might be the closest actually! I reckon the filmmakers will be very heavily inspired by Independence Day and Armageddon.

It would be fun to have something pulse pounding but not exactly militistic like the Duke Nukem theme. Quintessional 90s action score

Well, it'll probably have more in common with Zimmer and the RCP sound, given that Toprak was a protege of his.

Pretty much. :( Goddamn Zimmer & his cronies.

Oh well, benefit of the doubt of course until we actually hear something. Better be way more damn Silvestri/Doyle/Bates/Beck than Jackman though. *Shakes fist at the sky in futility*

Marvel seemed to like what Jackman did on his two Cap films and they already had Djawadi for IM1, so they're definitely okay with the RCP sound.

At this point, though, I think it's too early to say what it'll sound like. Toprak doesn't seem to have adopted a signature voice yet when it comes to her music, something that jumps out at you that couldn't have been composed by anyone else. This is her big moment to shine, so it all depends on the directors and what they (and the studio) want.

John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams both worked at RCP and yet they still create scores that are 100% their unique voice and predominantly orchestral. Wonder Woman could've sounded like anything, but it was Patty Jenkins who specifically requested a Zimmer-esque score (and why she got the real thing for WW84). Toprak has shown she has talent and range, it's just up to the filmmaker and what their vision is.

Personally I'm hoping for something in the vein of David Arnold's ID4, something unabashedly grandiose and melodic. We got something similar with Ant-Man and TFA, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah. Powell's kind of an exception though, obviously did his time with the group there, but he's always seemed to have an affinity for the oldschool in his own stuff. Like he was born a peer-group too late or whatever.

And yeah, Arnold's awesome, I'd love something Independence Day-ish here. That's obviously opposite end of the spectrum from the Zimmer/RCP wheelhouse though, so we'll have to see.

Just...yeah, enough with the Jackman style crap. The Hydra-Winter Soldier NIN type theme was sweet, and his end-credits track for TWS was nice enough, but honestly the rest of that flick's so beyond bland in a score sense. The best stuff in that movie's the museum work where he's apeing that Silvestri sound for some continuity and 40s references, and in that case it's just like...go get Silvestri. Not like he's never done electronic-y scores before, guy's more than capable of it.

Honestly I haven't heard a whole lot from Toprak though, more than willing to not pre-judge here. After all, even RCP of all places have produced outliers like you said, Powell's rad, and on a good day Djawadi can cook up some greatness (IM1's decent enough, but his Person Of Interest stuff is amazing). Hope she's one of those, rather than your usual Zimmer Clone #394.

Marvel has used multiple people with RCP ties. In addition to Jackman, Djawadi, and Toprak, Tyler Bates (GOTG), Danny Elfman (AoU), and Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok) have all worked at RCP at one time or another. Their scores are all different enough to let us know that Marvel and their directors are not looking for one particular sound.

Elfman & Mothersbaugh were already way established in their own right before they started hangin' with Hans & Pals, though. They didn't come up in the ranks learning from Zimmer and his approach to scoring, they're hardly proteges of the Zimmer sound.

Bates did, from what I understand, but he does feel like he's probably in that Powell mold of not being "that guy" in his personal audio interests. Like, his Guardians score's pretty clearly leaning more in that Silvestri/Doyle direction among the MCU than IM1/2/Cap sequels.

More than open to Toprak, just hoping she takes an approach more than side of things too. Something Guardians-esque would be fine. Just don't go all electronic "click-click-click-WRAAOORH-BZZT-BZZT-RAAAOOWRR" Zimmer-y, 90s movie scores weren't like that. Hell, Zimmer's 90s scores weren't like that, at least not comparable to what he's doing nowadays.

Marvel has used multiple people with RCP ties. In addition to Jackman, Djawadi, and Toprak, Tyler Bates (GOTG), Danny Elfman (AoU), and Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok) have all worked at RCP at one time or another. Their scores are all different enough to let us know that Marvel and their directors are not looking for one particular sound.
Elfman, Motherbaugh and Bates may have used composers from RCP (like Toprak, who did some cues for Justice League), but they themselves never worked there or reported to Zimmer. It's just common practice now to use additional arrangers/composers on big films like these to get the necessary work done on time in a short period. So for those composers you mentioned, the job of the people from RCP is to mimic the specific sound of whoever they're working with, instead of aping Zimmer which is probably their usual modus operandi.

Yeah. RCP's kind of industrialized the whole thing, pretty clearly have a monopoly among the go-to types studios tend to hire. Which is why everything's sounding so same-y these days.

Elfman & Mothersbaugh have links to the company, but they're clearly not Zimmer students/acolytes.

So is the song in the trailer a piece of the OST?

Doubt it. Most trailer music isn't. Toprak's probably nowhere near far enough along with the soundtrack yet for that, it'd just be one of those trailer-music-exclusive company's stuff probably.

You may be right. I thought the piece ended up in a pretty impressive climax though, so wouldn't mind

When Toprak's hiring was announced it was mentioned that recording had already started in May, but the music from the trailer is not part of the score. It's a piece called Luminous And Unstoppable by Aleksandar Dimitrijevic.

They’re probably just saving it for later

When Toprak's hiring was announced it was mentioned that recording had already started in May, but the music from the trailer is not part of the score. It's a piece called Luminous And Unstoppable by Aleksandar Dimitrijevic.
The first trailer almost never uses any of the real score. They're likely still doing some revisions and mixing of whatever they recorded.

It's very rare for any movie to use part of its original score in the trailer, much less comic book movies. And if it does happen, it's usually when a sequel uses a catchy theme from a previous film.

TheWiseGuy487 said:
Considering the time period this takes place in, I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something a little like scores from that time period done by James Horner or Hans Zimmer. Not to mention that we’ve seen photos of Carol wearing T-shirt’s bearing logos of rock bands.

Something like Trevor Rabin’s score for Armageddon. Bold and upliftingly patriotic music to represent her Air Force background, with the addition of guitar to represent her hot shot pilot attitude.

If you want some 90s overload something linke Armageddon would be fun.

Any word on the soundtrack being released? I haven’t seen anything on Amazon, iTunes or Spotify.

Any word on the soundtrack being released? I haven’t seen anything on Amazon, iTunes or Spotify.

I believe it was playing on the background in this:

The Captain Marvel theme plays right at the beginning.

Her theme reminds me a bit of Captain America's theme from CW.

I was a big fan of Jackmans WS score, but his CW work was a step down for me.

I'm kind of digging what I hear though for CM

Pretty disappointing, how Jackman it's all sounding, or Tyler on a bad day, but whatever. Not gonna pre-judge it, and sure it'll be serviceable enough, get the job done.

The licensed songs are gonna lend a nice flavor to this even if the score's kinda shrug-worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"