Falcon and Winter Soldier Costumes discussion (SPOILERS)

Kirmit

Big Green Machine.
Reaction score
Now the first season has ended and we’ve seen all the new suits I think the pros and cons can be discussed.

SAM/CAPTAIN AMERICA
I like his new suit, the colours are vibrant, the design of the star on his chest is nice and the wings look amazing. Unfortunately the headpiece looks odd, very uncomfortable with his ears squashed into it, I feel goggles alone would’ve sufficed. Also his shoulders are far too padded and squared off making the suit look very blocky.

WALKER/CAPTAIN AMERICA
First time seeing this suit I thought it was ok but as the show went on it looked very ill fitting, especially the helmet and the colour scheme with the blue and red only made it look very dull and boring. I did like the red pinstripes throughout the suit, braking up the blue nicely.

WALKER/US AGENT
I love this suit, easily my favourite, it fits Walker so much better, streamlined and sleek. The helmet is a vast improvement on his previous one, causing his ears to stick out less. The stripes on his chest look great, bright and vibrant red and white, really showing off with the contrasting black around them. My only gripe is how little we saw of it, hopefully he shows up again in the MCU sooner rather than later.

What are everyone else’s thoughts on the new suits?

The Falcon suit looks good over all but the neckpiece or headpiece does look slightly odd. Why does he not wear a helmet like Captain America though? Why is the top of his head exposed?

I think the Walker Captain America was deliberately not meant to look so great to show that he himself was ill fitting for the role. And also it was a piece of backward engineering because it had to become the US Agent suit rather than a Captain America suit. So US Agent was the starting point, but what looks good as US Agent doesn't necessarily look the best for Cap.

The US Agent suit looked great. I would've liked to have seen more of it. The only quibble is that the black star on the right side of his chest goes over that shield strap so it's bisected by that. I don't know if there's a star underneath that strap that is whole and not broken up. It looked okay on the Cap suit but when it's all in black you can't really see the black star all that well.

I wish Karli had a Space Phantom Flag Smasher suit though. She was so boring that she could've done with a costume to make her more interesting. And I would've liked for Batroc to get a mask too.

I like to add that Bucky has an awesome taste in cool jackets. Black, metalic blue and dark brown fit all great on him. :D

Ryan George's TFATWS Pitch Meeting mentioned Sam's exposed head. "He's fully protected except the top of his head, where his brain is." "Protecting everything except your braincage is tight!" :funny:

To be fair, Sam's Falcon suit had no helmet, either. He didn't have one in the comics, at least at first. That's a seeming weakness, but so is the lack of face protection even for most helmeted heroes. I sometimes joke with my bro that if I were going after Batman, I'd shoot him right in the frickin' mouth. At least Sam can shield himself with both his shield and his wings.

I love Sam's comics-accurate Cap suit, but I agree that the fit is off. It should be more form-fitting across the chest. Anthony Mackie is ridiculously ripped, though he's not bulky. The designer should play his shape up. A man who flies should be strong but sleek, which they can achieve with a tighter suit.

(Notice that I made no comment on Ameica's Brand-New Ass. A tighter suit would play that up, too. :cool: )

Ryan George's TFATWS Pitch Meeting mentioned Sam's exposed head. "He's fully protected except the top of his head, where his brain is." "Protecting everything except your braincage is tight!" :funny:

To be fair, Sam's Falcon suit had no helmet, either. He didn't have one in the comics, at least at first. That's a seeming weakness, but so is the lack of face protection even for most helmeted heroes. I sometimes joke with my bro that if I were going after Batman, I'd shoot him right in the frickin' mouth. At least Sam can shield himself with both his shield and his wings.

I love Sam's comics-accurate Cap suit, but I agree that the fit is off. It should be more form-fitting across the chest. Anthony Mackie is ridiculously ripped, though he's not bulky. The designer should play his shape up. A man who flies should be strong but sleek, which they can achieve with a tighter suit.

(Notice that I made no comment on Ameica's Brand-New Ass. A tighter suit would play that up, too. :cool: )

Although Falcon didn't have a helmet either, he didn't have anything on his head apart from goggles to protect dust going in his eyes. Since his new Cap outfit has this bit going around his head, now it does leave open the question of why the Wakandans didn't go for a full helmet since now only part of his head is protected whereas before none of it was.

Although Falcon didn't have a helmet either, he didn't have anything on his head apart from goggles to protect dust going in his eyes. Since his new Cap outfit has this bit going around his head, now it does leave open the question of why the Wakandans didn't go for a full helmet since now only part of his head is protected whereas before none of it was.
I'm choosing to believe that for Sam's first public appearance in the Captain America suit he maybe wanted to stick with what felt familiar and definitely wanted to make it clear to anyone watching that a black man had taken up the shield.

A rocket-powered flight suit really needs a full face shield to keep bugs out of the person's mouth, and a helmet for the non-trivial risk of high-speed uncontrolled landings, but maybe there's some benefit to spatial orientation from the pilot being able to feel the wind directly. There's got to be a way to make a helmet appear seemingly out of nowhere, like with T'Challa's suit.

sam's build is boxy. he isnt tall and has broad shoulders so its tough to make him look slender without it being a skin suit.

I like Sams costume, know its from the comics but I'd like to see it a bit more sleek, not so bulky, and darker.
84f27a9871ae4d579d3a507b92745f7d.jpg

WalkerCap - his suit was off. Though I think it was meant to look like a knock-off cap suit, and highlight how uncomfortable Walker was in that role.

SamCap - It's comics accurate no doubt. That white is almost blinding though. The head piece is also a little out of place. Like others have said what's the point of the rest of of the head piece if the top is exposed. Would've rather seen just goggles or a modified flight helmet.

US Agent - it's the best looking of the 3 even though it looks mostly like a dye job on the Walker Cap Suit. Wonder if they started with this one then backed the cap suit out of it and made it a little ill fitting to highlight how uncomfortable Walker was as cap.

Moving forward the only think I hope they do is adjust Sam's suit because 2-3 hours staring at that bright white in the theater could be painful.

I do kind of agree, the neck piece for the SamCap suit looks a little off. I suspect its the standard "cowls don't work that way" problem. Hopefully they give it some revision before his next appearance.

The ear holes were the worst costume design in a Marvel movie since the rubber ears on the side of the helmet in the 1991 Captain America with JD Salinger's son and the Italian Red Skull.

It was the one of many nails in the coffin of Sam's character assassination that was TFATWS.

In "Assembled: The Making of FATWS" they showed that his headpiece kept bending and flexing in unwanted ways because of the rubber material it was made out of, so they had to use CGI to fix it. So onscreen, it looks more form fitting without any distortions, but in real life there were plenty of these errors.

The costume of the Agent of U.S. look nice.

I think Falcon could have more red in the upper section for his top as the new Captain America.

Bucky, none of his costumes impressed me, even in the movies.

In "Assembled: The Making of FATWS" they showed that his headpiece kept bending and flexing in unwanted ways because of the rubber material it was made out of, so they had to use CGI to fix it. So onscreen, it looks more form fitting without any distortions, but in real life there were plenty of these errors.

So looking at the general consensus from fans and the pain it was to get it to look right Marvel would be good to just get rid of it for Cap 4.

If they want to largely keep with the design this is what I'd like to see more or less, replace the cowl with just goggles, and add a tiny bit more red.
ZpS96vj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"