Critique my stuff

TheBatman1979

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey people. It's been a while since I've regularly posted on these boards. I think there's been enough time inbetween me posting my art to see if there's been any change. So critiques are welcome. Tell me what I've done wrong or what can be done better. I need to grow and I'll never do that with out some honesty from people who know art work.

Hulk01.jpg

Here's a Hulk I did a couple weeks ago. Give me a dose of harsh reality.

TheBatman1979 said:
Hey people. It's been a while since I've regularly posted on these boards. I think there's been enough time inbetween me posting my art to see if there's been any change. So critiques are welcome. Tell me what I've done wrong or what can be done better. I need to grow and I'll never do that with out some honesty from people who know art work.

Hulk01.jpg

Here's a Hulk I did a couple weeks ago. Give me a dose of harsh reality.

Nice work.

2 things come to mind
1. he doesn't look hukish
2. His right hand seems to be floating

KAD said:
Nice work.

2 things come to mind
1. he doesn't look hukish
2. His right hand seems to be floating

1. Do you think I should have constrained the proportions more? Making his head look smaller compared to the rest of his body? Or is the muscle too small?

2. Perhaps I should have done more Forshortening and shown the bicep protruding outward from the shoulder?

It only took about two seconds for me to tell that it was Hulk. Once it's colored it will be easier. It looks like Frankenstein in a way. (That's good because Stan Lee kinda' based Hulk on Frankenstein)

I think it looks good.

The right hand does look weird and out of place though. Make the whole arm and hand smaller.

Really nice work.:up:

I love it. Where is he? What's going on with those structures in the background?

exxagerate his shoulder, back and chest muscles more. Shrink that right hand some, and flatten the back of his other hand (look at your own fist, there aint no "bump" as it were, its pretty flat but for ridges of the hand bone and/or protuding of viens). And maybe lengthen his left forearm some (but not much!)

I dig his face and the drawings of the hands (minus that one critique above). Nice job.

Alittle idea (if your inteseted). Very lightly sketch a figure (for a pic such as this) in the upper hand corner of your page. This way, its a quick way to 1)save paper from "throw aways" 2)gives you a chance to figure out proportions (ie practice) and 3)gives you reference for when you are ready to actually draw the figure for real. Its something that I do that helps me prepare for a drawing like this, since if you're gonna draw humaniods, its got to be perfect or else people will notice right away.

TheBatman1979 said:
1. Do you think I should have constrained the proportions more? Making his head look smaller compared to the rest of his body? Or is the muscle too small?

2. Perhaps I should have done more Forshortening and shown the bicep protruding outward from the shoulder?

With regard to the arm: The rest of the figure has volume but his right arm looks flat. Try some shading

Cosmic said:
I love it. Where is he? What's going on with those structures in the background?
He's being attacked by R2-D2 and a Dalek. :csad:

Cosmic said:

The guy who asked for the Commission was reading planet hulk and loved it. So I kinda went with the whole alien world theme.

Spider-Who? said:
exxagerate his shoulder, back and chest muscles more. Shrink that right hand some, and flatten the back of his other hand (look at your own fist, there aint no "bump" as it were, its pretty flat but for ridges of the hand bone and/or protuding of viens). And maybe lengthen his left forearm some (but not much!)

I dig his face and the drawings of the hands (minus that one critique above). Nice job.

Alittle idea (if your inteseted). Very lightly sketch a figure (for a pic such as this) in the upper hand corner of your page. This way, its a quick way to 1)save paper from "throw aways" 2)gives you a chance to figure out proportions (ie practice) and 3)gives you reference for when you are ready to actually draw the figure for real. Its something that I do that helps me prepare for a drawing like this, since if you're gonna draw humaniods, its got to be perfect or else people will notice right away.

I get what you're saying, the only thing I disagree with is the left hand comment. Depending on who muscled or meaty someones hands are they aren't always that flat. For instance mine actually have that curve to them when I make a fist, which is why I put it in. I'm a pretty big guy so I figured the hulk would have the same curvature, but even more pronounced. The next piece I do I'll deffinately try to make sure the back hand is more shaded and has more forshortening so that it doesn't like like it's just placed there.

I usually do thumb nail sketches before drawing a large piece like this. Although sometimes I get through what I had thumb nailed and decided I no longer like it and start from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"