• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man Daefoe slams TASM

"Here's your change"

"I have a knack for that"

90% of the dialogue in the elevator with Hal Sparks about his itchy costume riding up his crotch was humorous, too. He has more funny dialogue in SM-2 than in 3.

I have to say i'm glad Webb is giving us a more jokey spiderman, Raimis was pretty lame in comparison, missing what should have been a major part of the character :/

That and they way he inferred if he was the robber, he would have killed him.

He webbed him on the dick and told him to hold still.

Nothing there makes him a sociopath or implies he wants to kill him.

He webbed him on the dick and told him to hold still.

Nothing there makes him a sociopath or implies he wants to kill him.

Um, he thought that guy might've killed his uncle.

Was Maguire's version any kinder to Uncle Ben's killer?

and I don't understand why the Raimi films aren't considered cash grabs also.

They were made to make Sony alot of money. It's not like they were ready to hand back the rights after SM1.

Correction, Spider who just recently gained his powers and lost his uncle is a selfish person.

ASM was accurate in that regard.

He is a dick though to his enemy's. Sometimes that is physical like webbing him

On the dick.

"Here's your change"

"I have a knack for that"

90% of the dialogue in the elevator with Hal Sparks about his itchy costume riding up his crotch was humorous, too. He has more funny dialogue in SM-2 than in 3.

I found the itchy crotch scene painfully awkward and unfunny.

Um, he thought that guy might've killed his uncle.

Was Maguire's version any kinder to Uncle Ben's killer?

I agree but it does not imply that he would kill him, beat the s*** out of him but he was not going to kill him.

He is a dick though to his enemy's. Sometimes that is physical like webbing him

On the dick.

He was humiliating him because he was suspected of killing his uncle and he was angry.

Yes, he webbed his genital area. I'd see why a child might think that's a major detail to obsess over but not an adult.

While i think TASM was good i have to agree with you, though the high school scenes in the original were worse than the ones in the new film

Last edited:
I love Spider-Man 02 but I think with the exception the score TASM did everything to the same quality or better than the first Spider-Man movie.

I love Spider-Man 02 but I think with the exception the score TASM did everything to the same quality or better than the first Spider-Man movie.

1. If only!
2. Even if it did, it still has the advantage of being second in line. Imagine you're assigned to write an essay in school, but you find out that one of your friends has already written and had his essay graded. He/She scored well. You have the opportunity to look it over and see how they did it, what they did well, what they didn't do well, etc... This is a good analogy for SM1 and TASM. Raimi was really, in a way, pioneering and creating a template for the contemporary superhero film. TASM should have knocked it out of the park because of this (learning from the pitfalls of others, etc...), but it didn't.

Yes, it counts as poorly executed Spidey humor.

We're not talking about the carjacker scene in TASM. :oldrazz:

1. If only!
2. Even if it did, it still has the advantage of being second in line. Imagine you're assigned to write an essay in school, but you find out that one of your friends has already written and had his essay graded. He/She scored well. You have the opportunity to look it over and see how they did it, what they did well, what they didn't do well, etc... This is a good analogy for SM1 and TASM. Raimi was really, in a way, pioneering and creating a template for the contemporary superhero film. TASM should have knocked it out of the park because of this (learning from the pitfalls of others, etc...), but it didn't.

Raimi was far from second in line, he had a dozen of previous superhero adaptations to the big screen. And the comics. And yet he made caricatures for characters.

Now regarding acting, dialogue, humor and tone, TASM wins by comparison.

Tone and humor is very subjective, while Spidey made more quips in TASM the film itself was not near as funny as Raimi's, and if you didn't like its tone then it's your problem, because to me it was perfect for that world and the humor was mostly very good. And the tone in TASM just didn't work very well, it was supposed to be more realistic, but that's where things like a giant lizard man stand out more, that was possibly one of its biggest flaw.

Redlettermedia gives a very good analysis on what was wrong in the movie and how much Sam Raimi's film succeeds.

Tone and humor is very subjective, while Spidey made more quips in TASM the film itself was not near as funny as Raimi's, and if you didn't like its tone then it's your problem, because to me it was perfect for that world and the humor was mostly very good. And the tone in TASM just didn't work very well, it was supposed to be more realistic, but that's where things like a giant lizard man stand out more, that was possibly one of its biggest flaw.

Redlettermedia gives a very good analysis on what was wrong in the movie and how much Sam Raimi's film succeeds.

"Shazam" "Up up and away web." I'm sorry man, but that's really really poor.

And 'more realistic' doesn't mean completely plausible. The very premise is a man with spider powers, so it's not going to be any more realistic than that. But having a nerd who's not a 1950's caricature of a nerd, or an Uncle Ben that's a proper fatherly figure are things you have to thank for, no matter the tone of the movie.

Raimi was far from second in line, he had a dozen of previous superhero adaptations to the big screen. And the comics. And yet he made caricatures for characters.

Now regarding acting, dialogue, humor and tone, TASM wins by comparison.

Ok, so you've conflated a few things here. In my analogy, I cited Raimi as first. As in, the first to make a Spider-Man movie and create a template for the contemporary superhero film that would be emulated ad nauseum of the next decade (up to and including TASM).

I posit that Webb and co. had it much easier because after a decade of superhero flicks, some good, some bad- it should be easier to discern what works and what doesn't. Raimi did much of the hard work in figuring out what works and what doesn't in terms of a modern adaptation of a superhero to the silver screen (discounting Superman: the movie and Batman 89, as they are obviously products of their time). As well, X-Men did not have nearly the massive cultural relevance that SM1 had.

You just took one of the weakest joke of the movie, so that comparison is kind of bad, and Uncle Bem being a proper father figure isn't the tone, that's an element of the movie, and the one in the original was a father figure too, just didn't need as many scenes to prove that, the moments where both interacted together showed that, and when Bem showed a little of disapointment when Peter started to act differently also had a lot of weight.

It also didn't look like Peter was much of a nerd, he was athletic, smart, atractive, dressed well, and independent. he was just bullied due to the usual movie logics, just like in Raimi's

I liked Doc Ock's line in SM2 when dropping Aunt May, "butterfingers", I mean that's gold right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"