The Rise of Skywalker Daisy Ridley as Rey (IX)

You know, everyone extracts the urine out of reylo and Kylo fans...
But we were probably the only ones who defended Rey.from those accusing her of being a Mary Sue.

Big mistake.

The 'Mary Sue' was a rancid gift from Max Landis before he was shamed and disappeared.

The only thing Rey does that I think goes into Mary Sue territory is the Jedi mind trick she uses in TFA, because there's no way she could've known to do that in the moment. No one had even mentioned it was a thing Jedi's could do, let alone teach it to her, someone who at the beginning of the film had believed the Jedi were just a myth.

For me, I was finished with the character when TROS turned her into someone adored, revered and worshipped. Last straw was the incredibly corny 'Rise Rey RISE' scene.

I walked out of the cinema after Ben Solo was killed off not just because he was my favourite character...but because I couldn't stomach any more corn.
And after seeing the sickeningly sweet ending....I'm glad I did.

They didn't do that.

Ben didn't mind dying because he had 'given Rey back to the galaxy'. Stomach churning quote from the novel.
Anakin Skywalker, Ben's grandfather, did toss all during the years he was targeted and groomed by Snoke - rushes to the aid of Rey along with all the Jedi at the end.
Finn has two beautiful women interested in him....turns them down because all he ever wants is Rey.
Poe, a man with years of experience as a soldier and pilot, and who has fought alongside many experienced soldiers....adores Rey as 'one of the best fighters we have.'
Chewie has a 'special relationship' with her.
Leia chooses to teach her Jedi training, can't be bothered with her own son.

Sounds like they all adore and revere her to me.

I wish Rey was more like Jyn Erso.

Rey is one of the worst characters in the whole saga.

I wish Rey was more like Jyn Erso.

Rey is one of the worst characters in the whole saga.

100% in agreement with you. Jyn was a THOUSAND times the character Rey is. Brave, damaged and flawed....but every inch a hero.
I hoped she'd turn out to be more like her, but instead she was paraded as some kind of perfect superbeing who could do no wrong. This despite repeatedly showing dark side traits through out the entire ST. I suspect RJ might have tried to do something like this with her but instead we get Abrams, who spent the entire last film shoving how magnificent she was down our throats in a petty revenge because Rey got just 5% of the 'who do you want to see most' votes on the SW website, while Kylo Ren, who he wanted us to hate, got 81%.

I was deeply disappointed by Rey in TROS but she's still a more interesting character than Jyn Erso.

Jyn Erso was such a boring and static character. She had very little agency in the story and had just the bare minimum in terms of personality. Rey by comparison was full of life, despite the writing failing her at points mostly in VII, then completely dropping the ball in IX.

Jyn Erso was such a boring and static character. She had very little agency in the story and had just the bare minimum in terms of personality. Rey by comparison was full of life, despite the writing failing her at points mostly in VII, then completely dropping the ball in IX.

Jyn and Rey both seem to fulfill Disney's approximation of a strong female character: hampered by family trauma, but confident, morally sound and can fight like the boys can. Jyn is just the worst case scenario of that character. As you said, static, boring, barely any agency. We're told Jyn is a rebellious character through dialogue as she is shipped from one location to another. We barely ever get to see her make a decision and learn about her through her actions.

By contrast, TFA gives us plenty of character in Rey, who's not only more charismatic, but is actually doing things consistently in the story; from saving BB-8 from a scavenger, to refusing to sell BB-8 for an inflated price, and so on. Fundamental screenplay stuff that I think Rogue One is lacking.

Jyn and Rey both seem to fulfill Disney's approximation of a strong female character: hampered by family trauma, but confident, morally sound and can fight like the boys can. Jyn is just the worst case scenario of that character. As you said, static, boring, barely any agency. We're told Jyn is a rebellious character through dialogue as she is shipped from one location to another. We barely ever get to see her make a decision and learn about her through her actions.

By contrast, TFA gives us plenty of character in Rey, who's not only more charismatic, but is actually doing things consistently in the story; from saving BB-8 from a scavenger, to refusing to sell BB-8 for an inflated price, and so on. Fundamental screenplay stuff that I think Rogue One is lacking.

You know, this is one of the reasons Rey was ...unreal. She was depicted as a girl sold into bondage yet despite her hardships...still possessed righteousness and idealism, qualities few people who'd suffered like she had would feel. Going through all that in your childhood would leave you damaged. Finn was exactly the same, abducted and brainwashed as a child yet still ,,,noble.

So much hate for Kylo but he was possibly the most realistically portrayed character in the films. An abuse victim...who acted like one. while the other two abuse victims were cheerful, chipper folks whose 'trauma' had slid off them like water off a duck's back.

Dark Side Rey concept art from Adam Brockbank:

What a waste "dark Rey" was. It was only there as clickbait for the trailer.

Yes, I agree with you there. I also think Daisy would have had a ball playing 'dark Rey'; TROS wasted so many opportunities, it's so ...disheartening.

I feel bad for Daisy. I know she's probably happy, but I just feel bad how after playing Rey, she hasn't gotten that much of a push into super Stardom. Plus the reception to her character from the fanbase as well.

all i know is that I'll always be a Rey fan.

I feel the same about Kylo Ren...but look on the bright side. Rey still lives. And she has been seen visiting DLF recently, so they might be thinking about continuing her story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"