Daredevil Daredevil Official Reviews Thread

The New York Times has probably the least positive review so far.

Perhaps Mr. Goddard and Mr. DeKnight felt that street-level heroics called for a straightforward, largely realistic treatment. (As opposed, say, to the heavily stylized, hyper-violent and hyper-romantic approach Mr. Miller employs in his “Sin City” films.) The result, while eminently watchable, isn’t the Daredevil some of us remember.

Not negative, just not as strong in its praise as other reviews. I'm not going to diss the review, it's a well-written piece. But I'm not worried by his criticisms, as to me - and the reviewer himself admits this - they seem to come from very particular expectations about what he wants from a Daredevil adaptation, and not all of those are in line with what I would want to see in a Daredevil adaptation.

SOURCE: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/a...hero-is-sightless-but-not-blind-to-crime.html

New York Times published falsified fake news stories :p .

A negative(ish) review from Hollywood Reporter. Though right from the get-go it seems like the reviewer has an axe to grind against Marvel and superhero film/TV:

Precisely because having a gigantic opening weekend necessitates explosions and costumes, more sophisticated and nuanced storytelling has found a more welcome home and thrived on television. So this latest Marvel incursion should probably be looked at with the same kind of worrisome disdain that many writers and directors in the film world no doubt employ when the latest budget-busting superhero flick hits the multiplex.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daredevil-tv-review-787305?utm_source=twitter

Is there a specific time it is going to be released on Friday?

Sweet! Binge watching it on Friday, for sure.

A negative(ish) review from Hollywood Reporter. Though right from the get-go it seems like the reviewer has an axe to grind against Marvel and superhero film/TV:

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daredevil-tv-review-787305?utm_source=twitter

At this day and age, people think that gritty equates to non-progressive and mindless violence. I'm not surprised with not everyone is enjoying Daredevil, but I've got to say that I'm more than okay with THR's bottom line:

Marvel fans will probably love it, but others may be put off by glaring implausibilities

:woot:

Daredevil can be entertaining as hell in parts, but it’s almost shockingly grotesque in its depiction of violence and yet it finds no irony or credible defense for its most glaring weakness – that Daredevil himself is just a blind man who is really good at close-quarter fighting but who, realistically, would be shot dead within the first 30 seconds of any encounter he has with real bad guys.
He's complaining about the violence being shocking? WHAT? Didn't know violence had to be fun.
Pardon me for asking, “What’s so special about this guy?” After watching three of these Daredevil episodes it struck me that NBC’s Blacklist is more entertaining and that Cinemax’s Banshee is a much better investment of time (and a far better show).
Ugh. What is this?

That critic lost all credibility when he wrote an article about The Walking Dead season 5's shortcomings blaming the source material when it was very clear that he's never read the comics when his assumptions were not even close to being correct.

Last edited:
Do people complain about Batman "just being some guy" who should be shot dead really quickly? Because I cannot recall that being the case. Hell people don't even make that complain about Oliver Queen on Arrow, and he doesn't even wear body armor.

No street level hero/vigilante would last a week in the real world. Using that as a criticism is dumb.

"No one can chisel their way out of a prison with a rock hammer, even with 20 years of preparation... Worst. Movie. Ever."

T"Challa;31052659 said:
No street level hero/vigilante would last a week in the real world. Using that as a criticism is dumb.

No action hero would. Weird Al parodied how absurd that sort of thing can get 25 years ago.

2d07800679754d0d27fe25ff70c2c84c.gif

Last edited:
If you can suspend your disbelief that there is a guy that turns big and green when angry, why is a guy who can dodge bullets thanks to his super senses and agility too much of a stretch? Sounds like he's looking for things to dislike.

will there be merchandise pushed for the show? Since this is presumably aimed at a more adult audience, I wonder how much merch there will be?

No action hero would. Weird Al parodied how absurd that sort of thing can get 25 years ago.

2d07800679754d0d27fe25ff70c2c84c.gif

Still one of my faves. Weird Al should make another movie.

T"Challa;31052659 said:

Daredevil has superpowers. So that's how he can make it through.

Do people complain about Batman "just being some guy" who should be shot dead really quickly? Because I cannot recall that being the case. Hell people don't even make that complain about Oliver Queen on Arrow, and he doesn't even wear body armor.

The HR guy goes on to say that he likes the Batman movies(though he doesn't specify which ones but if I had to guess I'd say the Nolan ones). That Batman should have been shot dead in 30 seconds just as much as DD. Screw this guy.

2 bad buzzes.
"This show is too realistic, and not the Daredevil I grew up with."
and
"This show is not realistic at all, typical childish Marvel stuff."

2 bad buzzes.
"This show is too realistic, and not the Daredevil I grew up with."
and
"This show is not realistic at all, typical childish Marvel stuff."

I know. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Makes you wonder why they bother trying at all to please these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"