DC Launches New "He-Man and The Masters of The Universe" Comic"!

rogue trooper

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/04/06/dc-comics-he-man-masters-of-the-universe-comic/

EXCLUSIVE! DC Comics Launches Brand New 'He-Man and the Masters of The Universe' Comic From Writer James Robinson

Posted 4/6/12 4:41 pm ET by Alex Zalben in Comic Books, DC Comics

Get ready, He-Man fans: DC Comics is getting ready to launch a brand new take on the Masters of the Universe this July, in a six issue comic book series written by James Robinson, with pencils by Phillip Tan and inks from Ruy Jose. And that's not the end of the surprises... As the series starts, the evil Skeletor has already won!
That's right: the skull faced arch-enemy of He-Man has figured out a way to rewrite the reality of Eternia, casting himself as the ruler of Castle Grayskull, and our heroes - including He-Man - as regular peasants with no memory of their previous life. And while simple woodsman Adam may dream of wielding a massive sword, and fighting in battles, he thinks they're just dreams. That is, until a mysterious sorceress approaches him, and sends him on an epic journey to save all of Eternia.
To find out more, we chatted with Robinson about where the series is going, if this is just the tip of the iceberg for the Masters of the Universe, and whether a certain fan favorite (well, us favorite) will return:
MTV Geek: Why Masters of The Universe? I think most people nowadays know it from a somewhat cheesy cartoon, and a somewhat cheesier movie - what draws you to the property? Is it a chance to really go back and reinvent from an almost blank slate, in a way?
James Robinson: I agree to some people Masters of the Universe is considered a cheesy cartoon. However, I know for a fact that a certain generation of people, who grew up at the right time, hold genuine affection for Masters of the Universe. The challenge is to write something that raises the standard for the series, with a cool, modern story that nevertheless honors the fans of the animated series and toy line.
Geek: How much reinvention versus continuation are we going to see in the book? It seems, like a lot of these '80s properties, your approach is a way of honoring the old fans, while allowing an easy access point for new ones.
JR: As I say, that's the challenge. Let's just say I've come up with a series concept that introduces the line of characters to new readers in what I hope is a fresh, dynamic and compelling way while honoring what the series has been prior.
Geek: Let's talk about the characters... What's going on with Adam? He's in a pretty interesting place when this all starts.
JR: Adam is in a place where he really has to reconnect with what it means to be a Master of the Universe. It's his odyssey, much like the Greek myth in fact, that is the backbone of this series.
Geek: Skeletor walks the line between terrifying, and very, very silly... What are you going for here? What's his motivation, and how will he play throughout the series?
JR: He's terrifying. Period. The silly era is done and gone. Phillip and I are taking great pains to make Skeletor, who is after all a barbarian warrior with a skull face, into a horrifying and worthy foe for He-Man. As to motivation, much like before he wants it all. Eternia. Castle Greyskull. Adam's head on a plate. Everything. He's just going to be much more ruthless in how he goes about getting it.
Geek: There's also a "mysterious sorceress" who kicks off the proceedings. Is she someone we've met before? What game is she playing? Oh, and she's She-Ra, right? Right???
JR: Not She-Ra I'm afraid. Although the sorceress is very important to Adam's odyssey taking shape.
Geek: This is a bit of personal question, but are we going to see Orko in this series? I don't want to brag, but I won a costume contest dressed as him when I was seven.
JR: Congratulations! Yes, there is a possibility you'll see Orko by the end of the series.
Geek: What other characters are we going to see popping up? And was there anyone you weren't able to fit in?
JR: Yeah, Orko until you mentioned him. Apart from that, no, I'm going to try and get every character in, if only in our epic climax.
Geek: You have Philip Tan on pencils, and he's clearly been doing some fabulous fantasy work on Hawkman - if you've seen any of it yet, what's his work like here? What does he bring to the project?
JR: Truthfully, I haven't seen the work yet, however based in Philip's work on Batman & Robin, Green Lantern and Hawkman, he'll brings a darkness and mood, coupled with a dynamic storytelling that will definitely add a unique quality to this Masters of the Universe relaunch.
Geek: This may be a little too literal, but I've always wondered why they were called "Masters of the UNIVERSE," when they only hung out on Eternia - are we going to see any exploration of places beyond Eternia in this series, or more of a fleshing out of that side of the concept?
JR: A little too literal? Boy that's an understatement. Seriously though, that's a good question and one that deserves it's own arc. However that isn't this arc, which is more concerned with reintroducing the Masters of the Universe and the world of Eternia to a new generation.
Geek: ...And this may be above your pay-grade, but I imagine these comics are somewhat a testing ground for the franchise, to see if it can be reinvented for TV, action figures, movies, etc... Has that been part of the discussion at all? And when you've been writing this, has your eye turned to that side of the business at all?
JR: Honestly I don't know. Mattel has been very supportive to my ideas, I do know that. I'm sure as a company they've got their eye on all their franchises for the best way to make the most of them. I know I would.
Geek: Just to wrap up, between finally revealing the life of The Shade on an epic, globe-trotting journey, creating a whole new world with Earth Two, and reinventing Masters of the Universe, are you going to want to write a nice, small character piece after this is all done? Or do you have even bigger plans?
JR: No, my plans are a couple of more character based ideas, although even those have some pretty epic brush strokes. Oh and I'm working on a novel, that I'm very happy with so far and will have done by the end of the year. Thanks for asking.

How did DC get rights to this?

James Robinson? Well....not my first choice of writer but hokay.

Philip Tan must squint a lot.

Personally I can't wait until the new comic arrives. I was gutted with what happened to the last comic. Hopefully this one is good, there hasn't bee anything MOTU outside of the classics figures.

From He-Man.Org:
The Original He-Man Mini-Comics
The first 11 minicomics that were produced (1982-83) were made by DC Comics, who later produced a 5-issue comic series. All other minicomics, from 1984 and on, were produced solely by Mattel (and, quite frankly, somewhat lacked the quality of the first ones). However, Mattel did have their moments, especially towards the end, with issues such as "The Ultimate Battleground!" and "The Powers of Grayskull: The Legend Begins!"

It might be noted that some of the giants of the industry were involved in these. The DC minicomics were drawn by Mark Texiera, who has gone on to draw such books as "Ghost Rider," "Sabretooth," and other assorted things. "Snake Attack," "Grizzlor: The Legend Comes Alive," "King of the Snake Men," "The Search for Keldor," and "The Ultimate Battleground" were drawn by Bruce Timm. If you don't know the name, he's one of the main people responsible for the now-concluded New Batman/Superman Adventures show on the WB network.

From CBR November 19, 2009:
Comic Book Legends Revealed #234
Brian Cronin said:
COMIC LEGEND: Zodac in the Masters of the Universe was meant to be connected to Metron of the Fourth World.

Reader Squashua has been wondering for a long time about a possible link between Zodac of the Masters of the Universe and Metron of the New Gods.

Squashua asked awhile back…
Did the DC Comics writers intend there to be a connection between New God character “Metron” and Master of the Universe character “Zodac, the Cosmic Enforcer”?

The classic Zodac toy was a dude with red space armor and a laser pistol. Originally billed as an Evil warrior, the accompanying EARLY literature had him as more of a neutral keeper of balance, which was what followed ever since.

When he was presented in both the toy-included comic books (apparently all written by DC before Mattel took over) and the short-lived DC Comic series/insert (prior to Marvel’s Epic-line MotU series), if I recall correctly, Zodac flew around in a chair (much like Metron) and did cosmic “stuff”. The Zodac toy did not come with this chair, but if you look at the chair in the manner in which it was drawn, it is identical to the throne that comes with the original Castle Greyskull playset. There was no reason for him to use the chair, but when you go think about it, Zodac of the DC Comics issue(s) is pretty much intended to be Metron.

Well, just the other week, Sean T. Collins at CBR’s own Robot 6 blog was discussing Masters of the Universe, and Squashua showed up in the comments and so did Paul Kupperberg!

Squashua presented the question and Paul answered it as follows:
DC signed the rights to MOTU before the toys were released. They had virtually no back story set up besides a very basic good guys vs. bad guys idea. A rep from Mattel came to DC and editor Dave Manak and I spent an afternoon on the floor of DC’s conference room playing with the prototypes of the figures and accessories and making **** up as we went along. I took a few notes, talked out a few very basic ideas with Dave and the rep and then went home and started writing. Zodac and the flying chair were part of the presentation, so I went with that–don’t recall for certain if the Metron parallel was brought up at the time, but with fan-boy-me in the room, I’d find it tough to believe I wouldn’t have at least mentioned it. They might have gotten rid of the flying chair (or switched it to a spot in the Castle) because of the similarity by the time the toys came out but after I’d written the comic.

A big fan of the Fourth World material, but I don’t think I ever wrote any of it, certainly not around that time…unless I’ve got a major brain fart going. My first connection with any of the Kirbyverse was when I tied TAKION into The Force, but that wasn’t until 1996.

I’m told — and I don’t know because I never watched the cartoon (being, y’know, in my 20s when it came out) — that a lot of the back story was based on the DC comic, so I guess I’m to blame, but I doubt I would’ve had Zodac in a flying chair if it hadn’t been part of that original presentation.

So it sounds like basically a no on the connection.

Thanks to Paul Kupperberg for the information, thanks to Sean for the blog entry that got this one resolved and thanks to Squashua for the stick-to-it-ness to finally get a reply to the query!! Good job!

From Robot 6 November 9, 2009:
Geoff Johns wants the Power of Grayskull
Geoff Johns and I have something in common: We both want Geoff Johns to write a He-Man comic.

In an interview at writer Poe Ghostal’s toy and action figure news blog, the Blackest Night, Green Lantern, and Superman: Secret Origin writer says that He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is the only toy property he’d like to take a shot at writing. Now, normally this kind of offhand blue-sky wish-list comment wouldn’t merit a post, but I really love He-Man and Johns has written some of my favorite superhero comics of the past several years — and dammit, I’ve got a bully pulpit and I intend to use it.

Oh yeah, Johns discusses various other toy-related topics with Ghostal, including his childhood favorites and the highlights of his current collection. Unsurprisingly, Lantern Corps figures from DC Direct and Mattel fare pretty well, with Johns citing the action-figure version of his Blue Lantern character Saint Walker as his fave.

But seriously — Geoff Johns on He-Man! Start your letter-writing campaign to DC and Mattel in the comments.

Poe Ghostal’s Points Of Articulation November 9, 2009
:
5 Questions With > Geoff Johns
5.) Is there any toy property you’d love to have a crack at writing a comic book for?

He-Man. That’s about the only one.

I like that Tan referenced 70's and 80's S&S comics! Nothing could be more awesome than He-Man done a la Roy Thomas' Conan, Kull, Red Sonja, DC's Nightmaster, and Mike Grell's Warlord!

Prince Adam better be in a pink shirt. That's all I gotta say.

Variant cover issue #3: http://dave-wilkins.deviantart.com/art/Heman-MOTU-cover-3-307170828

heman_motu_cover_3_by_dave_wilkins-d52vqj0.jpg

^^^ cool..i like that very much!!
I always loved the he-man toons the old original and the new remake..the middle french made one was crap though..

He-Man returns: DC remasters a universe from the 1980s

Hollywood used to find movies ideas on the New York Times bestsellers list but lately it seems like studios are handing around an old Toys ‘R’ Us catalog from the Reagan years. Battleship, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Tonka and Quija have all made headlines any day we’re expecting to hear about a visionary producer who thinks that proposed Viewmaster movie just might click. Surely, though, this ongoing toy story in pop culture can’t continue, can it?

“By the power of…Greyskull!”

Ah. Right. We almost forgot that DC Comics announced in April that “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” would be launched as a six-issue series in July; writer James Robinson and artist Phillip Tanaround are crafting this new interpretation of the muscular Mattel brand that launched in 1981 and became a cartoon series in 1983.

The premise of the new series is that Skeletor has triumphed and lords over Castle Grayskull while the Masters have no memory of their former glory — and He-Man is a simple woodsman haunted by strange dreams. (So if you think ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” ripped off “Fables,” then you can view this as DC payback.)

This weekend, fans can make an early visit to Eternia with the first in a series of digital comics that zero in on individual characters in the Masters of the Universe mythology. Battle Cat and Man-at-Arms will be in upcoming installments but the story that goes on sale Saturday feature a new name: Sir Laser Lot.

Sir Laser Lot is the creation of no other than Geoff Johns, the star DC writer and the chief creative officer at DC Entertainment, and he put a lot of time in on the project: He was a kid (and a He-Man fan) in Michigan when he first created the noble galactic knight — and he dug out his old childhood drawings so he could show Mattel what he had in mind. Mattel’s designers took Johns’ new words and old art and created an action figure that will debut in July at Comic-Con International.

“It’s pretty cool,” John said with a chuckle. “He-Man was like this sci-fi, medieval universe that I really got into as a kid after a neighbor gave me an action figure. There was a lot of creativity that went into that universe and all these weird characters.Mattel had heard that I was a fan when I was young so they came to me and said they were creating some new characters and ask me to do one. So I did a short, eight-page story and it was lot of fun and it’s a bizarre process to create an action figure and coming-up with the back-story…I actually have one of the early [versions] of the action figure at home now.”

The digital comic that arrives Saturday features arr by Howard Porter. The digital series will debut new chapters twice a month on Saturdays. He-Man’s most trusted companion, Battle Cat, stars in the July 14 installment (written by Mike Costa with art by Jheremy Raapack) and he captain of the Eternia guard, Man-At-Arms, takes the spotlight in the July 28 release (written by Kyle Higgins with artwork by Pop Mhan).

Even though Johns had a deep affection for the toys and mythology he didn’t buy a ticket to see “Masters of the Universe,” the 1987 live-action film with Dolph Lundgren (soon to be seen in “The Expendables 2″) and Frank Langella (yes, the “Frost/Nixon” Oscar winner) as Skeletor. “I never saw it, I never went,”John said, “so I don’t really have an opinion on it.” Funny, that’s how we feel about “Battleship.”

– Geoff Boucher

well it wasn't as great as i would have hoped but it didn't suck as much as i expected

pros
the art was better and flowed nicely but i have seen so much better with this brand
adam seems to be more he-man confident than prince lay about
skeletor actually appeared menacing at th end

cons
the designs still suck, sorry no suger coating, and call me all the names you want but the redesigns are poorly thought out and change for the sake of it. seriously why show classic he-man on the cover yet get him wearing sir lance-a-lotts cast offs in the comic
blonde teela, again why
stupid mistakes in the brand who in the hell is fedor
a huge plot hole already, if skeletor is so worried of adam finding out the truth why in the hell was he allowed to live in this changed universe
with the whole changed timeline, the whole thing just screams agent spector saves the day still. and truthfully that just reeks of desperation

Is this going to be set in the DCU?

It's a licensed work, so I doubt it. They did that stuff some back in the day, but nowadays I don't think they would.

I think it's weird that it's been changed after the first issue, but as long as the series at the end is something a MOTU fan feels is worth reading/owning then I don't care so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"