• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Did Nolan redefine the comic book movie genre with Batman?

Yeah, I think you're right. There's been plenty of talk about ''darker'' Superman/Daredevil reboots. everything that has failed in the superhero genre might have a darker kickstart. Which is ridiculous.

But then again, Marvel seems to be going the route of less heavy-handed stuff, although I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk. Iron Man was pretty breezy.

I didn't think TIH was dark at all. I'm glad Marvel is going in a different direction since I wouldn't want every comic film to be dark and serious.

Not at all, because there is no ''defined'' way to make a comic book movie in the first place.

Whilst it's true there's never officially been a defined way to make a comic adaptation, studios have more or less kept them confined to an area void of any real difference in style, tone and have allowed directors very little artistic licence. Perhaps a more appropriate term would be that Nolan 'evolved' the genre.

If anything, I'd say Iron Man set the new standard for making a comic book movie.

Whilst it's true there's never officially been a defined way to make a comic adaptation, studios have more or less kept them confined to an area void of any real difference in style, tone and have allowed directors very little artistic licence. Perhaps a more appropriate term would be that Nolan 'evolved' the genre.
Or "mutated" the genre. :funny: We'll have to see if that catches on, Darwin-style. But that $533 domestic gross is awfully pretty. :hehe:

If anything, I'd say Iron Man set the new standard for making a comic book movie.

You're right in some ways because Iron Man is how you should do a comic book movie from this point on. Give the franchise to TALENTED people who are passionate, pick the cast and crew for it, and try to communicate to the fanbase since they're the demographic.

Dark Knight is an anomaly. It's more like a movie that happens to be a comic book related, in some ways. I think that future movies shouldn't mimic Dark Knight too much because it's one of a kind and cerebral. They gonna end up misinterpreting it and fail.

But both Iron Man and Dark Knight helped out the genre. In this day and age, you can't make movie with the quality of a FANSTIC FOUR, X3 or GHOST RIDER. You can't and thank GOD FOR THAT.

You're right in some ways because Iron Man is how you should do a comic book movie from this point on. Give the franchise to TALENTED people who are passionate, pick the cast and crew for it, and try to communicate to the fanbase since they're the demographic.
How in the world was this method any different than what Donner, Burton, Raimi, and Nolan did, beforehand? Favreau himself credited Nolan for how he wanted to approach the project. :huh:

How in the world was this method any different than what Donner, Burton, Raimi, and Nolan did, beforehand? Favreau himself credited Nolan for how he wanted to approach the project. :huh:

My thoughts exactly. Iron Man was only another example of a comic book movie done right. It didn't exactly do anything groundbreaking to show everyone else how it should be done, which is what 'redefining a genre' is all about in the first place.

Iron Man was a solid movie, made even better by it's lead actor, but overall it didn't do anything outside the box, it's was a fairly standard Superhero flick and. TDK on the other hand the fact that's it's character origins lied in the form of printed pictures was irrelevant, it's was about making the best possible movie. That's were the difference lies, Iron Man was a great superhero film, but TDK was a great film, that is what should be taken from Nolan and Co efforts, it's not about making the characters dark and brooding, it's about treating the characters seriously and with respect and making not a just a good superhero film, but a good film in general.

No, Because if anyone tried to do what he does they would fail and look like morons.

Iron Man was a solid movie, made even better by it's lead actor, but overall it didn't do anything outside the box, it's was a fairly standard Superhero flick and. TDK on the other hand the fact that's it's character origins lied in the form of printed pictures was irrelevant, it's was about making the best possible movie. That's were the difference lies, Iron Man was a great superhero film, but TDK was a great film, that is what should be taken from Nolan and Co efforts, it's not about making the characters dark and brooding, it's about treating the characters seriously and with respect and making not a just a good superhero film, but a good film in general.

Exactly. Iron Man was damn good, but no redefiner.

Last edited:
Why is everybody forgetting a little movie that Tim Burton made in 1989 called Batman? And why is everybody calling TDK and intelligent movie? Did it really rack your brain in some parts? Please guys, dont start mixing a realistic version(style) for intelligence, because all he did was make Batman have a more realistic style...thats it. Just think for a second, if Burton used the same style as Nolan(realism), but still kept the same script he used in B89, it would be just as "intelligent" as Begins or TDK.:cwink:

^ Intelligent in that it didn't treat it's audience like a bunch of 12 year olds, it's a film you had to pay attention to.

^ Intelligent in that it didn't treat it's audience like a bunch of 12 year olds, it's a film you had to pay attention to.
I'm not trying to disrespect the movie, but how was it any different then B89, Returns, Superman, Road to Perdition, etc etc? There are plenty of Comic Book movies that don't treat their audience like 12 year olds. The only thing that I see different, is that Nolan has a more realistic style. :cwink:

^ The thing is you're bringing up movies that are 20-30 years old, you can't really compare them with the TDK cause times and audiences have changed. If we are talking modern superhero flicks, there are more that treat there audience like children than don't, TDK didn't do that, it was clearly a mature film, it wasn't just dudes playing dress up fighting.

^ The thing is you're bringing up movies that are 20-30 years old, you can't really compare them with the TDK cause times and audiences have changed. If we are talking modern superhero flicks, there are more that treat there audience like children than don't, TDK didn't do that, it was clearly a mature film, it wasn't just dudes playing dress up fighting.
Haha. Ok? So regardless of time period, Nolan didn't redefine the comic book genre, cause it was already defined as serious a few years back(ie. point of the thread:cwink:).

Why is everybody forgetting a little movie that Tim Burton made in 1989 called Batman? And why is everybody calling TDK and intelligent movie? Did it really rack your brain in some parts? Please guys, dont start mixing a realistic version(style) for intelligence, because all he did was make Batman have a more realistic style...thats it. Just think for a second, if Burton used the same style as Nolan(realism), but still kept the same script he used in B89, it would be just as "intelligent" as Begins or TDK.:cwink:
It did mine, but not really because of the issues it introduced. It was more because it was a Nolan film and I find the structure of Nolan's films immensely fascinating. :yay: TDK is the first movie where I really want to sit and pick it apart, shot by shot.

And do you seriously think that having Joker dance to Prince through an art gallery would be just as mature as that pencil trick? :funny:

It did mine, but not really because of the issues it introduced. It was more because it was a Nolan film and I find the structure of Nolan's films immensely fascinating. :yay: TDK is the first movie where I really want to sit and pick it apart, shot by shot.

And do you seriously think that having Joker dance to Prince through an art gallery would be just as mature as that pencil trick? :funny:
A script has nothing to do with time period or music selection.:cwink::woot:

Haha. Ok? So regardless of time period, Nolan didn't redefine the comic book genre, cause it was already defined as serious a few years back(ie. point of the thread:cwink:).

Who said anything about Nolan being the first one to make superhero films seriously?

Who said anything about Nolan being the first one to make superhero films seriously?
The initial question of this thread? The standard has been in place, its just a different style, and even that, wasn't a "Nolan original". So again, the answer is no.:cwink:

A script has nothing to do with time period or music selection.:cwink::woot:
He'd still be dancing to something in an art gallery. :oldrazz:

BTW, Nolan's Gordon >>>>>>>> Burton's Gordon. I love it that Nolan's Batman actually has a working relationship with the police. It makes it seem less like a microcosm.

The initial question of this thread? The standard has been in place, its just a different style, and even that, wasn't a ''Nolan original''. So again, the answer is no.:cwink:

The question isn't did Nolan make the first serious Comic adaptation, it was did he redefine the genre.

Whether or not he redefined it remains to be seen, if we start seeing more Nolanesque comic book movies in the future, then yes. I hope that's not the case though.

The question isn't did Nolan make the first serious Comic adaptation, it was did he redefine the genre.
I thought I already went over this? No, he didn't, other directors have redefined the genre for a more serious approach to film. His style just happens to be more realistic, but again, he wasn't the first to "define" this(ie. serious and realistic). So the answer will have to be a "no".:cwink:

He hasn't redefined anything, you guys just happen to like his certain style, and hope other directors follow. Others have done similar, his is just different, in a good way, of course. ;)

He'd still be dancing to something in an art gallery. :oldrazz:

BTW, Nolan's Gordon >>>>>>>> Burton's Gordon. I love it that Nolan's Batman actually has a working relationship with the police. It makes it seem less like a microcosm.
True, VERY true! Nolan's Gordan FTW!:woot::cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"