Clone Wars Did the Star Wars: The Clone Wars change your views of Anakin in the prequel

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
Many fans were heavily disapointed by the way Anakin was handled in the prequels, and how it tarnished Darth Vader. In the clone wars show however he is given a more impulsive personality, making him a better leader too. So, do you think The Clone Wars improved upon the prequels and that this Anakin was worthy of becoming Darth Vader or did you think he wasn't very well written either?

An improvement, but still, I can't buy this prequel Anakin Skywalker turning into Darth Vader.

It did change my view. It helped. Especially with Ahsoka by his side. The movies covered the Padme/love thing, the CW covered the Jedi side of things more.

I think the TV series helped to improve the character from the prequels, absolutely. The main thing that stood out for me was how heroic he could be, adding another (greater?) level of tragedy to his eventual transformation.

Yes and no. All of a sudden he's a compelling character in the series, only to go back to the flat, disconnected character that he was in Episode 3.

I've never had a problem with how Anakin was handled in the PT. I do enjoy his CW characterization, though.

Yeah, I really like him now. You get a lot more of the "dark" moments. Then of course Episode 3 comes after all this...so it's kinda weird.

I have a feeling that after Season 5, they were going to show a transition into the ROTS Anakin. Losing his apprentice has got to affect him greatly. But, alas, Disney.

Yes and no. All of a sudden he's a compelling character in the series, only to go back to the flat, disconnected character that he was in Episode 3.

THIS.

It really feels like two different characters. Matt Lanter's portrayal is what Anakin should have been in the prequel films. Likeable, heroic, charismatic, etc. When he wasn't in an episode, I would miss him. But, in the prequels, Hayden's portrayal was dry, stiff, brooding, etc. It's not at all difficult to imagine Hayden's Anakin turning to the darkside, so there's not much of an emotional investment when it happens. But Matt's Anakin? If that was the guy in the films, then Anakin's turn might have struck a chord more deeply with me.

I don't think it changed my views of Anakin per se but it made the prequels overall better. I did like how Ashoka did help show another side of Anakin and mature him.

Anakin in The Clone Wars is extremely likable and I respect him exponentially more than Hayden Christensen's version.

Seriously. By far a better character. Throughout most of the series I saw more ties to IV, V and VI than I, II and III.

To be honest people are unfair when it comes to Anakin in the movies; especially when you get to ep 3. There was this expectation of how Anakin would fall to the Dark Side. On top of that every one wanted Vader to be like Vader in Star Wars A New Hope and that just plain silly. The problem wasn't in the acting nor in the writing. The problem was in the minds of the fans.

First of all Anakin went over to dark side because he thought it was the only way to save Padma. It wasn't the big dark reason that we all thought it would be. However how many people his age haven't done something really really stupid for love. So Lucas version of why Ankain went to the dark side made perfect sense. Once he gave in from there it was a down ward spiral. The more he gave in the more he lost himself to the dark side. By time time he face Obi Wan he couldn't tell the good side from the bad side. Ill be honest I think Anakin did it thinking he could learn what he need to save Padma and not loose himself in process.

As for people comparing Vader from ep 3 to Vader in ep 4 and saying there completely different and you would be correct. If you really thought they would be exactly the same then you where sadly mistaken. You're talking about nineteen year gap between ep 3 and ep 4. I mean can any of you say that you are the same as you where after nineteen years. If you can then you're a robot and are don't change. Of course vader is different in ep 4 verse ep 3. The idea that the two versions Vader would be the same is just plain idiotic.

Last but not least a lot of the Clone Wars Anakin personality do sort of show up in ep 3. You just don't get to see them to the degree that you do in the Clone wars.

From me what I loved about the clone wars was that it showed both sides of the war. It showed how the planets that alined them selves with Separatist where just as duped as the those who aligned themselves with the Republic. It showed how there were victims on both sides. I especially like how it showed how the Jedi order had lost it's way. They gone from being peace keepers to soldiers it showed how much the order had lost its way. The final stroke was them turning there back on Ahsoka and trusting in her innocents and standing behind her and defending her. Instead they threw her to the wolves. To me Clone Wars add a lot of depth to Ep 1-3.

My only disappointment with The Clone Wars was how it ended. I think they should have tried to resolve some of the loose story lines; the Darth Maul is the big one. I also wish they had ended it right where ep 3 picks up. That is my only complain with The clone wars.

The Anakin in Clone Wars feels like an entirely different character compared to the one presented in the movies. A better character with more depth. He also carries himself like a natural leader and a great Jedi. Not to mention the fact that Lanter's performance is just flat out better.

To be honest people are unfair when it comes to Anakin in the movies; especially when you get to ep 3. There was this expectation of how Anakin would fall to the Dark Side. On top of that every one wanted Vader to be like Vader in Star Wars A New Hope and that just plain silly. The problem wasn't in the acting nor in the writing. The problem was in the minds of the fans.

First of all Anakin went over to dark side because he thought it was the only way to save Padma. It wasn't the big dark reason that we all thought it would be. However how many people his age haven't done something really really stupid for love. So Lucas version of why Ankain went to the dark side made perfect sense. Once he gave in from there it was a down ward spiral. The more he gave in the more he lost himself to the dark side. By time time he face Obi Wan he couldn't tell the good side from the bad side. Ill be honest I think Anakin did it thinking he could learn what he need to save Padma and not loose himself in process.

As for people comparing Vader from ep 3 to Vader in ep 4 and saying there completely different and you would be correct. If you really thought they would be exactly the same then you where sadly mistaken. You're talking about nineteen year gap between ep 3 and ep 4. I mean can any of you say that you are the same as you where after nineteen years. If you can then you're a robot and are don't change. Of course vader is different in ep 4 verse ep 3. The idea that the two versions Vader would be the same is just plain idiotic.

Last but not least a lot of the Clone Wars Anakin personality do sort of show up in ep 3. You just don't get to see them to the degree that you do in the Clone wars.

From me what I loved about the clone wars was that it showed both sides of the war. It showed how the planets that alined them selves with Separatist where just as duped as the those who aligned themselves with the Republic. It showed how there were victims on both sides. I especially like how it showed how the Jedi order had lost it's way. They gone from being peace keepers to soldiers it showed how much the order had lost its way. The final stroke was them turning there back on Ahsoka and trusting in her innocents and standing behind her and defending her. Instead they threw her to the wolves. To me Clone Wars add a lot of depth to Ep 1-3.

My only disappointment with The Clone Wars was how it ended. I think they should have tried to resolve some of the loose story lines; the Darth Maul is the big one. I also wish they had ended it right where ep 3 picks up. That is my only complain with The clone wars.
Nicely put, Michael. For the most part you covered how i feel, and how i see the Anakin character :highfive:

I liked the way they handled Anakin, it made his fall from grace that much more sadder.

OK, my kids and I just finished a massive Star Wars rewatch which entailed all six films, the Gendy Clone Wars, and the entire Clone Wars series, including the film and Season 6, watching all in chronological order. The Clone Wars did have an impact on the prequel era. Like most, I prefered Matt Lanter's portrayal of Anakin.

Since Episodes I & II come first, the Clone Wars really doesn't come in effect until Episode III. And I noticed the following.

First off, while watching Episode III, it really felt like these characters went through a lot during this war. It did feel like this was the summation of what happened in Clone Wars.

It had an effect on Order 66, since before, these characters were more silent background extras that are killed. Now there was a bit more to it. Sasee Tinn and Agen Kolar (or is the other one?) weren't really fleshed out in the series, so the effect is minimal. Kit Fisto is enjoyable in the series, but his death is still ridiculously quick that it is kind of sad to see no fight in him. Ki-Adi Mundi benefits from more characterization, but near the end of Clone Wars, I lose a little bit of sympathy for him. He's the one who seems to want to throw Asoka under the bus and quick to think Yoda(!) was under the influence of the Dark Side. Ayla Secura got some recognition, but it was early in the series, so the tie wasn't that strong.

The one who you feel more for was Plo Koon. Watching him get shot down after following him in the show, particularly his ties with Asoka, makes the scene more effective.

As for Anakin, aside from the initial disconnect of Hayden's performance (and the Genndy's Anakin) following Matt's performance, Clone Wars really helps after Anakin gets on Coruscant after the opening. After watching Clone Wars Anakin, ROTS Anakin's actions, reactions, and motivations seem better. You can understand his desire for order and handling things efficiently, his lack of faith in the Jedi Order and by extension, Obi-Wan, and his (very strong) devotion to Padme. Yes, the youngling thing is still a bit much, but his turn feels better. Also, when he meets up with Padme on Mustafar, the way each plays it does feel like a natural extension of their characters in Clone Wars.

The Clone Wars also gives a big time boost to the Anakin and Obi-Wan duel. This is felt particularly at the beginning of the duel, just as it starts. It feels like a punch to the gut. And both reactions at the end of the duel nicely match how it would have been played by their Clone Wars counterparts.

So, short answer, yes, watching the saga with Clone Wars does help punch up Revenge of the Sith, particularly the characterization of Anakin. I recommend it to any Star Wars fan (with some time on their hands!). :woot:

I agree with Spider-Gnome. While the The Clone Wars doesn't completely fix all the issues of the prequel Trilogy it certainly makes them easier to digest.

My wife and I have been watching them in much the same order, and she (a relative newcomer to the series) has found that the Anakin from TCW is far more consistent to the one described by Obi Wan in the OT. She actually enjoys and looks forward to his appearances on TCW and roots for him, whereas she found him generally unlikeable in the first two prequels (we still haven't quite arrived at ROTS). Here, she notes, we actually feel for him when the Jedi order fails him, or his attachment to his friends causes him pain, ultimately making his descent that much more tragic.

I agree with Spider-Gnome. While the The Clone Wars doesn't completely fix all the issues of the prequel Trilogy it certainly makes them easier to digest.

My wife and I have been watching them in much the same order, and she (a relative newcomer to the series) has found that the Anakin from TCW is far more consistent to the one described by Obi Wan in the OT. She actually enjoys and looks forward to his appearances on TCW and roots for him, whereas she found him generally unlikeable in the first two prequels (we still haven't quite arrived at ROTS). Here, she notes, we actually feel for him when the Jedi order fails him, or his attachment to his friends causes him pain, ultimately making his descent that much more tragic.

Actually he was exactly like Obi-Wan described him. I had the same thought the first time I saw Phantom Menace. When Obi-Wan describes Anakin in New hope he always seem older. I also felt that he never really took it upon him self to train Anakin as a Jedi.

Then I threw out my perceptions of what I thought and look at it based on what was said. Everything Obi-Wan described about Anakin was true. When they first met he was a great pilot. The force was very strong with him. Till his fall to the dark side Anakin was a good friend. So nothing he said was untrue. The problem is again preconceived notions of what we thought was true.

I always call episode 3 Anakin bad day. A lot seem to be rushed in episode 3 so we don't really get a good view of Anakin as we do in the Clone Wars.

One things I did love about episode 3 and Anakin fall to the dark side was the way he fell. It wasn't a quick fall to the dark side it was sort of a slow down ward spiral. What made it so much better was that The emperor used the truth to a degree to turn Anakin. You see Anakin point of view and why he is doing what he doing and feel for him and you even understand why he is doing what he is doing. By the time you realize it's wrong it's to late and he loose himself completely to the darkside.

Episode three is my favorite of all the movies followed by episode 6.

I always call episode 3 Anakin bad day. A lot seem to be rushed in episode 3 so we don't really get a good view of Anakin as we do in the Clone Wars.

The problem is, between episodes II and III, it we never really get to see Anakin on a good day. Any time things don't go his way he's always acting out like a petulant child. I never really accepted the 'close friendship' between Ani and Obi Wan. If anything Anakin appears to resent Obi Wan for the majority of both films (especially episode II).

We're TOLD the friendship exists, but I needed to see it. And we never got enough time to focus on that (at least I never felt we did).

Anakin in the series still has some attitude, and even behaves immaturely at times (still consistent with the prequels), but we actually got to SEE the friendship between Obi Wan and Anakin, and that they enjoy and value each other's company more often than not.

The problem is, between episodes II and III, it we never really get to see Anakin on a good day. Any time things don't go his way he's always acting out like a petulant child. I never really accepted the 'close friendship' between Ani and Obi Wan. If anything Anakin appears to resent Obi Wan for the majority of both films (especially episode II).

We're TOLD the friendship exists, but I needed to see it. And we never got enough time to focus on that (at least I never felt we did).

Anakin in the series still has some attitude, and even behaves immaturely at times (still consistent with the prequels), but we actually got to SEE the friendship between Obi Wan and Anakin, and that they enjoy and value each other's company more often than not.

Yes, this is what watching the Clone Wars series did to help in my viewing of Revenge of the Sith. It's too bad that some of this could not show up TPM and AOTC.

I have a feeling that after Season 5, they were going to show a transition into the ROTS Anakin. Losing his apprentice has got to affect him greatly. But, alas, Disney.

Totally agree. That's one of the worst blows to them cutting it short. Why couldn't they let it wrap up? I'm sure that losing Ahsoka and the way the Council treated her was going to lead to the build up to how he felt about them in ROTS.:csad:
I always liked Anakin: but he's at his best when emotional. (And of course, the Jedi don't go for emotional.) Also my views were affected by the Jedi Quest books, since it did make for a more gradual transition than you get with just the movies. :jedi

I liked the Anakin of SW:TCW. He was leader and hero.

Unfortunately, he's an entirely different character from the live-action version of the films.

I always liked Anakin: but he's at his best when emotional. (And of course, the Jedi don't go for emotional.)
I think the jedi were more about not letting their emotions control them, rather than not feeling anything. To me that's where Anakin's faults lie: in the end, he allowed his emotions to get the best of him, especially his fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"