Age of Ultron Discussion of an Infinity Gauntlet story

Soul Gem is obviously jammed in Magus' forehead. I also like the idea of incorporating the Reality Gem into a Dr. Strange storyline. Whether it's an artifact the Ancient One is interested in or it is actually the reason Strange's brand of magic exists in the MCU... sounds like a good fit to me.

I also kinda wish they found room for Ego the Living Planet in The Dark World and the Space Gem could be the reason for his sentience. Or otherwise "manipulate space as he see's fit." But that one is just a shot in the dark. Pun intended. But that probably won't be the case so they'd have to find some other place for it.

Leaving us with only the Time Gem. And we do know one gent in the MCU who has a reason to travel through time and just needs some method of doing so. Which of course, he may discover on his adventures through the universe:
SKULL_TESSERACT_2.png

Well, granted this is a thread called "Discussion of an Infinity Gauntlet story." But I guess you're the one who needs to take a break? Sorry Rock. :/ I'll try harder next time.

I definitely like the time gem sceanrio lol! I also like the Dr Strange part.
This hunt of the gems would be epic.

Yeah Rock, fan-fiction or not, we are still discussing! :)

I definitely like the time gem sceanrio lol! I also like the Dr Strange part.
This hunt of the gems would be epic.

Yeah Rock, fan-fiction or not, we are still discussing! :)

Macguffin or not, why is that a bad thing?

A. its better than the gems already having been collected off screen.
B. its better than collecting them from random places in the universe that have no bearing on the stories.
C. it shows off each gem's power before finally uniting them all and giving Thanos nearly unlimited power.

Well, granted this is a thread called "Discussion of an Infinity Gauntlet story." But I guess you're the one who needs to take a break? Sorry Rock. :/ I'll try harder next time.

Ya, try harder to use logic .....

Yeah well that´s you opinion we would like to call this specualte, and we think it´s interesting to hear eachother out and talk some about it!

We talked about this with the red gem lol, read!

Ahh, that is of importance. Loki was king for a while. Couldn´t he have taken the blue gem? Or perhaps he had it before and that´s why he was able to blind Heimdal?

So Thanos let Loki keep his gem in exchange for help. It could be that Thanos wanted the cube or that he wanted help with busting in to Odin´s vault. I don´t know either way Thanos offered to combine Loki´s gem with Chitauri tech = the scepter.

As you pointed out Loki was able to shroud what he was doing in Johunteim from Heimdall. If Loki were to have snatched the mind gem off the IG in "Thor" in order to do that, we would've been shown it. However, the only artifact in the vault they showed Loki stage any interest in was the Casket.

You're also assuming Loki even knew what the IG and gems were in the first place. We could attempt to suggest that since Odin was telling he and Thor the story of the casket in the opening of "Thor", there was potential for that with the other stolen relics. So if he knew the backstory of the IG/gems, why would he not take them all given the importance/power we all assume it to behold?

If Loki were to have bargained the gem for the cube we would have been shown that. What were were explicitly told at the beginning of Avengers was Loki bargain the the cube for Earth.

Macguffin or not, why is that a bad thing?

A. its better than the gems already having been collected off screen.
B. its better than collecting them from random places in the universe that have no bearing on the stories.
C. it shows off each gem's power before finally uniting them all and giving Thanos nearly unlimited power.

Because this is the MCU not the comic book medium. You really think they're going to spend all these movies setting up some giant IG story when they have so many other stories they'd like to unspool? You're placing too much importance on it and trying to do a direct comic book translation when we've seen time and time again Marvel has taken artistic liberties with them in the MCU.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that Thanos was/is still after the Cosmic Cube. Maybe he doesn't want to try and take the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin yet. Thanos is waiting for the perfect time to put all of the events of his plan in motion . As we saw in Marvel's The Avengers, he wasn't exactly expecting resistance. But that doesn't mean that he's any less excited about the prospect of taking on the Avengers.

The last we saw of the Cosmic Cube it was being taken to Asgard. Maybe at the end of Thor: The Dark World we see someone or something stealing the Tesseract and then realizing that the Infinity Gauntlet is in the vault as well. Odin is getting older, Thor is probably in the process of becoming the King of Asgard and the Destroyer is gone. Loki has served his purpose. Asgard will be as weak as ever in Thor: The Dark World.

Or, picture this. Post-credit scene of Thor: The Dark World we see a figure in the dark or Odin's vault. He's stumbling around maybe knocking stuff over. He walks up to the Cosmic Cube, we still haven't seen his face yet. Then we see him walk up to the Infinity Gauntlet. The light hits his face and guess who we see? It's Star-Lord! Just an idea.

I think it's pretty clear that Thanos was/is still after the Cosmic Cube. Maybe he doesn't want to try and take the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin yet. Thanos is waiting for the perfect time to put all of the events of his plan in motion . As we saw in Marvel's The Avengers, he wasn't exactly expecting resistance. But that doesn't mean that he's any less excited about the prospect of taking on the Avengers.

The last we saw of the cube it was being taken to Asgard. Maybe at the end of Thor: The Dark World we see someone or something stealing the Tesseract and then realizing that the Infinity Gauntlet is in the vault as well. Odin is getting older, Thor is probably in the process of becoming the King of Asgard and the Destroyer is gone. Loki has served his purpose. Asgard will be as weak as ever in Thor: The Dark World.

Or, picture this. Post-credit scene of Thor: The Dark World we see a figure in the dark or Odin's vault. He's stumbling around maybe knocking stuff over. He walks up to the cube, we still haven't seen his face yet. Then we see him walk up to the Infinity Gauntlet. The light hits his face and guess who we see? It's Star-Lord! Just an idea.

What I'm curious about is if the entire vault gets raided. After all, there are other artifacts in there that are important pieces to other characters we know we are getting (Dr. Strange) or speculating we are (Surtur).

I think if any GOTG character is gonna want in on Odin's vault, it'll be the Collector. There was already that rumour of the actor playing Tyr saying he shot a scene with Benicio del Toro. A character who collects powerful artifacts to use against Thanos? Odin's crib is a goldmine.

What I'm curious about is if the entire vault gets raided. After all, there are other artifacts in there that are important pieces to other characters we know we are getting (Dr. Strange) or speculating we are (Surtur).

Not all of the artifacts are known to everyone. I think the only person in the MCU right now that knows what they all do is probably Odin. Thanos probably only cares about the Cosmic Cube and the Infinity Gauntlet. Loki and Thor only know about the Cosmic Cube and the Casket of Ancient Winters. Back to your original question about the vault getting raided. What if Star-Lord raids it and sells all of these artifacts around the universe? At least one or two of them will somehow end up on Earth. Just to set up Doctor Strange and others will be acquired by Surtur and other beings in the Marvel Universe/Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Star-Lord keeps one, probably the Infinity Gauntlet or maybe a gem or two, and is tracked by Thanos and his underlings.

I think if any GOTG character is gonna want in on Odin's vault, it'll be the Collector. There was already that rumour of the actor playing Tyr saying he shot a scene with Benicio del Toro. A character who collects powerful artifacts to use against Thanos? Odin's crib is a goldmine.

Very true! That is probably the most likely to happen out of all of the ideas. I think the Star-Lord one would be a funny way to introduce the Guardians of he Galaxy. I completely forgot about the Collector though.

Not all of the artifacts are known to everyone. I think the only person in the MCU right now that knows what they all do is probably Odin. Thanos probably only cares about the Cosmic Cube and the Infinity Gauntlet. Loki and Thor only know about the Cosmic Cube and the Casket of Ancient Winters. Back to your original question about the vault getting raided. What if Star-Lord raids it and sells all of these artifacts around the universe? At least one or two of them will somehow end up on Earth. Just to set up Doctor Strange and others will be acquired by Surtur and other beings in the Marvel Universe/Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Star-Lord keeps one, probably the Infinity Gauntlet or maybe a gem or two, and is tracked by Thanos and his underlings.

Does raiding the vault require someone to know what every single artifact does? I never implied that. Anyone with a brain in the MCU though could figure out they were all important based on the sheer premise Odin kept them locked away.

However, do not ignore the obvious here. We know we're getting Dr. Strange, so at least one of those artifacts beyond the suspected IG is going to get removed. Then you have the assumption Surtur will be coming up in T:TDW or the third film and he'll need the Eternal Flame.

Based on characters we know we're going to see in Guardians, it would make far more sense The Collector being the one who takes other artifacts than Star Lord. There's no rumor of a Chris Pratt cameo in T:TDW either.

Does raiding the vault require someone to know what every single artifact does? I never implied that. Anyone with a brain in the MCU though could figure out they were all important based on the sheer premise Odin kept them locked away.

However, do not ignore the obvious here. We know we're getting Dr. Strange, so at least one of those artifacts beyond the suspected IG is going to get removed. Then you have the assumption Surtur will be coming up in T:TDW or the third film and he'll need the Eternal Flame.

Based on characters we know we're going to see in Guardians, it would make far more sense The Collector being the one who takes other artifacts than Star Lord. There's no rumor of a Chris Pratt cameo in T:TDW either.

I know you never implied that. It's something I was saying. All of these characters are after singular items and not the entire treasure vault. Sure they are all important, that's why the Collector taking all of that stuff would make sense. I agree with you.

I know more artifacts will get taken. That's why it makes sense for the Collector to take them all. I just thought it would be funny to see the unsuspecting Star-Lord bumbling around the trophy room in the dark knocking stuff over. Both ways introduce the Guardians of the Galaxy movie but I think showing your lead actor doing it would be a decent idea.

I think we will end up getting a Guardians of the Galaxy post-credit scene in Thor: The Dark World. I think it'll end up being the Collector too. But to say that it couldn't be a Chris Pratt, Peter Quill/Star-Lord cameo just because we haven't heard is kind of dumb. We didn't hear about the Nick Fury cameo or the Thanos cameo.

Last edited:
As you pointed out Loki was able to shroud what he was doing in Johunteim from Heimdall. If Loki were to have snatched the mind gem off the IG in "Thor" in order to do that, we would've been shown it. However, the only artifact in the vault they showed Loki stage any interest in was the Casket.

You're also assuming Loki even knew what the IG and gems were in the first place. We could attempt to suggest that since Odin was telling he and Thor the story of the casket in the opening of "Thor", there was potential for that with the other stolen relics. So if he knew the backstory of the IG/gems, why would he not take them all given the importance/power we all assume it to behold?

If Loki were to have bargained the gem for the cube we would have been shown that. What were were explicitly told at the beginning of Avengers was Loki bargain the the cube for Earth.

Yes you might have forgotten this but remember my theory that had to with Whedon drastically rewriting the Avengers script? Thanos was never planned until Whedon rewrote the script, the IG was therefore not of relevance when they shot the Thor 1 movie.

Ofc Loki knows of the IG. He was raised as a son by the Allfather in Asgard. It´s also Loki we are talking about here. It´s not strange to make Loki know of the IG without earlier introducton of him learning it.

Why not take the IG given its power/importance? An excellent question ofc. I must admit, I can´t see any reason for why he shouldn´t have taken more gems or the entire gauntlet. If you had to guess on this Rock, what would you think?

Would we have been show that? I don´t think so. The Chitauri had big plans using the cube so that they could acess new worlds. Loki would get Midgard. So let me ask you, what would Thanos get?

I see it like this. Loki can offer the gem to Thanos. Chitauri can invade Midgard and give Loki the planet. Chitauri can offer tech to get there via the cube. But why would they give Loki tech and help him take the planet? Loki knew of the cube and it was not of importance for him, he wanted to rule.

Basically Loki can offer Thanos the gem if Thanos can offer Chitauri the cube if they offer him a scepter which will allow Loki to take Midgard and therefore forfill giving Thanos his gem.

Last edited:
I know you never implied that. It's something I was saying. All of these characters are after singular items and not the entire treasure vault. Sure they are all important, that's why the Collector taking all of that stuff would make sense. I agree with you.

I know more artifacts will get taken. That's why it makes sense for the Collector to take them all. I just thought it would be funny to see the unsuspecting Star-Lord bumbling around the trophy room in the dark knocking stuff over. Both ways introduce the Guardians of the Galaxy movie but I think showing your lead actor doing it would be a decent idea.

I think we will end up getting a Guardians of the Galaxy post-credit scene in Thor: The Dark World. I think it'll end up being the Collector too. But to say that it couldn't be a Chris Pratt, Peter Quill/Star-Lord just because we haven't heard is kind of dumb. We didn't hear about the Nick Fury cameo or the Thanos cameo.

In lieu of Clive Russell's recent comments about Benicio Del Toro, the comment is most certainly not dumb.

What you're suggesting for Star-Lord because it "would be funny" is again sort've moot. Got to look at these things objectively. There is no way Star-Lord would ever find his way into the vault.

BTW, the Dr. Strange relic I mentioned isn't the case. I forgot Feige said a while back it was the Warlock's Eye. He also said there is a sword that may or may not be Eternal (i.e. Surtur) and the fact that there was one sub-chamber missing it's artifact. Clearly we assume that to be for the Cube.

“I’m not sure about Doctor Strange in particular. Oh, I know what they are talking about. That is not Doctor Strange. It is right out of Thor. It is right out of the first Tales of Asgard stories. I think it’s called “The Warlock’s Eye” I think it is verbatim what [Jack] Kirby drew. I think those are the scenes. There is other coverage and stuff where we lingered on those things longer but again “Why are you lingering on that stuff? It has nothing to do with the movie.” “Oh, but it’s cool. People will recognize it.” You can’t do it. But everything in that vault and everything you might see if you pause and look behind people’s shoulders or as the Einherjar soldiers are walking past – everyone of those has a story and it is from the books. There is Thanos’ glove, or certainly a glove that looks like it could be Thanos’ gauntlet, is in there for sure. The Warlock’s Eye thing is in there. There are some swords. There is a sword there that may or may not be eternal. There are a number of things. There is even one, and in fact I’m not sure if you can see this in the movie or not, but there is one that is empty. There was one sort of subchamber of the vault that didn’t have anything in it. So the question is “What used to be in it?”

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-interview-thor-avengers-iron-man-3-ant-man-doctor-strange/88459/

Also I don't think we get Surtur until a third Thor movie. When Thor becomes King of Asgard. If you look at Phase 1, we got six movies. Phase 3 could easily be six movies. Another Thor movie involving Surtur and the Eternal Flame. Doctor Strange and The Orb of Agamotto, The Eye of Agamotto and/or The Warlock’s Eye. Black Panther (Maybe). Ant-Man, which won't need any mystical artifacts to be involved. Finally a last Guardians of the Galaxy movie which will depend on the reception of the General Audience. If it does well we'll get a second. If not we might get another Iron Man, Hulk or Captain America film, or another new character. I think Marvel Studios is thinking Guardians of the Galaxy will be a success though.

Yes you might have forgotten this but remember my theory that had to with Whedon drastically rewriting the Avengers script? Thanos was never planned until Whedon rewrote the script, the IG was therefore not of relevance when they shot the Thor 1 movie.

Ofc Loki knows of the IG. He was raised as a son by the Allfather in Asgard. It´s also Loki we are talking about here. It´s not strange to make Loki know of the IG without earlier introducton of him learning it.

Why not take the IG given its power/importance? An excellent question ofc. I must admit, I can´t see any reason for why he shouldn´t have taken more gems or the entire gauntlet. If you had to guess on this Rock, what would you think?

Would we have been show that? I don´t think so. The Chitauri had big plans using the cube so that they could acess new worlds. Loki would get Midgard. So let me ask you, what would Thanos get?

I think you're ignoring the obvious here as a means to extrapolate some much longer complex story. You yourself are assigning the Gauntlet this all-powerful stature and yet Loki doesn't take it? Not logical. Btw, the Chitauri didn't "have big plans using the cube." The Chitauri are simply a biomechanical race created/used by Thanos and The Other as their minions.

The movie clearly spoke the purpose of the exchange via The Other's beginning speech ..... "The world his (i.e. Loki) and the universe yours (i.e. Thanos)." He was referring to Earth being Loki's and the rest of the universe going to Thanos after he gets his hands on the Cube because it's going to open up all the doorways for him.

I see it like this. Loki can offer the gem to Thanos. Chitauri can invade Midgard and give Loki the planet. Chitauri can offer tech to get there via the cube. But why would they give Loki tech and help him take the planet? Loki knew of the cube and it was not of importance for him, he wanted to rule.

Basically Loki can offer Thanos the gem if Thanos can offer Chitauri the cube if they offer him a scepter which will allow Loki to take Midgard and therefore forfill giving Thanos his gem.

Chitauri are not their own free-thinking race. Again, you keep re-creating things to your own liking. The Other gave Loki the Scepter.

Last edited:
In lieu of Clive Russell's recent comments about Benicio Del Toro, the comment is most certainly not dumb.

What you're suggesting for Star-Lord because it "would be funny" is again sort've moot. Got to look at these things objectively. There is no way Star-Lord would ever find his way into the vault.

BTW, the Dr. Strange relic I mentioned isn't the case. I forgot Feige said a while back it was the Warlock's Eye. He also said there is a sword that may or may not be Eternal (i.e. Surtur) and the fact that there was one sub-chamber missing it's artifact. Clearly we assume that to be for the Cube.

“I’m not sure about Doctor Strange in particular. Oh, I know what they are talking about. That is not Doctor Strange. It is right out of Thor. It is right out of the first Tales of Asgard stories. I think it’s called “The Warlock’s Eye” I think it is verbatim what [Jack] Kirby drew. I think those are the scenes. There is other coverage and stuff where we lingered on those things longer but again “Why are you lingering on that stuff? It has nothing to do with the movie.” “Oh, but it’s cool. People will recognize it.” You can’t do it. But everything in that vault and everything you might see if you pause and look behind people’s shoulders or as the Einherjar soldiers are walking past – everyone of those has a story and it is from the books. There is Thanos’ glove, or certainly a glove that looks like it could be Thanos’ gauntlet, is in there for sure. The Warlock’s Eye thing is in there. There are some swords. There is a sword there that may or may not be eternal. There are a number of things. There is even one, and in fact I’m not sure if you can see this in the movie or not, but there is one that is empty. There was one sort of subchamber of the vault that didn’t have anything in it. So the question is “What used to be in it?”

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-interview-thor-avengers-iron-man-3-ant-man-doctor-strange/88459/

I didn't necessarily mean dumb and I'm sorry if you took offense to that. It's a really good idea and my only issue with it was that the General Audience doesn't know the Collector is. Now I'm starting to realize that they don't know who Peter Quill is either. I was thinking if they showed Chris Pratt it would create interest in the movie. Now I'm also starting to realize that seeing Benicio Del Toro will do the trick as well. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Star-Lord can't travel across time and space like the Collector can. I have poked holes in my own idea.

I didn't necessarily mean dumb and I'm sorry if you took offense to that. It's a really good idea and my only issue with it was that the General Audience doesn't know the Collector is. Now I'm starting to realize that they don't know who Peter Quill is either. I was thinking if they showed Chris Pratt it would create interest in the movie. Now I'm also starting to realize that seeing Benicio Del Toro will do the trick as well. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Star-Lord can't travel across time and space like the Collector can. I have poked holes in my own idea.

I'm starting to wonder if The Collector comes to collect the artifacts (more specifically the IG) for Thanos ..... using the Cube to get into the vault. I mean as much as I hate it, Marvel sure seems to want to keep Thanos in sort've the "emperor" role like in Star Wars, using proxies to serve his bidding until he finally takes matters into his own hands.

Why would The Collector do that for Thanos though? I guess we'd find out. Could be all kinds of neat directions they could go in with that.

I think you're ignoring the obvious here as a means to extrapolate some much longer complex story. You yourself are assigning the Gauntlet this all-powerful stature and yet Loki doesn't take it? Not logical. Btw, the Chitauri didn't "have big plans using the cube." The Chitauri are simply a biomechanical race created/used by Thanos and The Other as their minions.

The movie clearly spoke the purpose of the exchange via The Other's beginning speech ..... "The world his (i.e. Loki) and the universe yours (i.e. Thanos)." He was referring to Earth being Loki's and the rest of the universe going to Thanos after he gets his hands on the Cube because it's going to open up all the doorways for him.

Chitauri are not their own free-thinking race. Again, you keep re-creating things to your own liking. The Other gave Loki the Scepter.

I see. In that case you are correct.

I always thought that The Other was the leader/king of the Chitauri and that he met with Thanos so the army would be The Other´s directly but Thanos indirectly since Thanos had promised the Other and his Chitauri army the possibility to conquer worlds with the cube (super fast travel) I mean the Chitauri has 1 goal?

"The Chitauri claim to be part of "the immune system of the Universe", wiping out disorder and free will wherever they find it. "

Mcu thought could be that the immune system erradicates all the free will people and therefore forfill the one thing that can impress Death. So it´s not strange that Thanos want the cube for the Chitarui.

I don´t think you can say it like the Universe was for Thanos. Thanos has 1 wish, he wants to sit by the side of Death and to do so he must balance the K : D ratio by killing half the universe, what better way to do that than with being the leader of The Other in exchange for them having possibility to travel in space? Oh yeah the IG could be better but he tried that once and Odin did beat him. So now that his plan failed, how can he get the cube or the IG?

Last edited:
Ya, try harder to use logic .....

lol. You mean Ultron needing a power source powerful enough to allow him nearly infinite upgrades and what is oft-described as invincible durability doesn't logically allow for him to use such an item that is described as having that exact functionality?

Is there a power source that would allow for that on earth? Or in physical science in general? Perhaps he'll harness the power of the sun? Would that be better logic for you?

Thanos is the one connecting all of these characters though. Except for maybe Groot, Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord.

I'm starting to wonder if The Collector comes to collect the artifacts (more specifically the IG) for Thanos ..... using the Cube to get into the vault. I mean as much as I hate it, Marvel sure seems to want to keep Thanos in sort've the "emperor" role like in Star Wars, using proxies to serve his bidding until he finally takes matters into his own hands.

Why would The Collector do that for Thanos though? I guess we'd find out. Could be all kinds of neat directions they could go in with that.

I'm not so sold on that. I think he is going to be an anti-hero of sorts. He's going to try and track the Star-Lord, much like everyone else is. He's doing it to help protect against Thanos though. While Ronan and Korath and either serving Thanos or Kree interests. Yondu is a space pirate looking for treasure. I think he's going to have a special relationship with Star-Lord. So it's personal between those two. Much like it is between Nebula and Gamora. Nebula wants to be related to Thanos while Gamora does not. So Nebula will try to get what Gamora and the Guardians of the Galaxy have to please Thanos. Now Thanos has another group much like the Avengers who are making things more interesting for him.

I think the Collector will be killed before letting everyone know that Thanos is a threat. Thus leaving Thanos to tread around the Universe, undetected.

"He, who put the scepter in your hand?" ―The Other

"He," here referring to Thanos. The scepter was gifted to Loki by Thanos.

"He, who put the scepter in your hand?" ―The Other

"He," here referring to Thanos. The scepter was gifted to Loki by Thanos.

I meant that The Other physically handed it to him. You could see it in the movie's opening. But semantically speaking, Thanos created it .... much like the Chitauri race. The Chitauri's handed Loki nothing.

Last edited:
I meant that The Other physically handed it to him. You could see it in the movie's opening. But semantically speaking, Thanos created it .... much like the Chitauri race. The Chitauri's handed Loki nothing.

What led you to believe Thanos created the Chitauri? Just wondering, I think I missed that portion of the speculation.

What led you to believe Thanos created the Chitauri? Just wondering, I think I missed that portion of the speculation.

When The Other mentioned, "He is ready to lead (Loki) and our force, our Chitauri will follow."

They were also hive-minded bio-mechanical soldiers linked by one central station. Clearly they are not an advanced race of beings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"