Discussion: The Spread of Fascism/Theocracy/Authoritarianism

A few years ago, I was discussing China with a Chinese expat living in Australia. She said that she prefers living in the West, because in the West you can use Facebook, which is banned in China. I argued that likely China was banning Western social media so that it could develop its own social media -- classical economists call that "import substitution".

I didn't expect the shoe to be on the other foot so quickly. I can similarly understand why the USA leadership would want to ban Tik Tok, it wants it's social media space fully controlled out of San Francisco and Washington, with all the profits going there as well.

If they were very bold and confident, they'd offer China a free trade agreement in social media, where the USA allows Tik Tok, etc and China allows Facebook, etc. I think that both parties would decline.

Banning tik tok isn't simply so America can control money or free speech.

It's about not providing the CCP with data on hundreds of millions of Americans.

A fake recording of a candidate saying he’d rigged the election went viral. Experts say it’s only the beginning​

Ally of Slovakia’s pro-Russian prime minister wins presidential election​

Fico, who began his fourth term last October, has shifted Slovakia's foreign policy towards pro-Russian positions and initiated reforms in criminal law and media regulations, raising concerns about the erosion of the rule of law.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"