Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Do TV rights differ from movie rights? Can Spider-Man show up?

Katsuro

Superhero
Reaction score
I was just thinking, don't the legal rights for these characters differ between mediums? I mean, we all know Sony has the rights to Spider-Man films, so none of the MCU films can reference Spider-Man, and we won't see Andrew Garfield's Parker joining the Avengers, but this is TV, so is that different? I mean, doesn't Disney already have TV shows with all their characters, or is it different when it's animation?

If they could get away with it, wouldn't it be great to have a small appearance by Spider-Man? Nothing to step on the toes of Sony's movies, but just an indication that he's out there, and he exists in this version of the Marvel universe. Same for the F4, and maybe even Mutants.

No. Sony and Fox own the live-action rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four. Marvel can't use them in live-action TV.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/02/business/fi-13115

Columbia's parent, Sony Pictures Entertainment, also won the rights to produce sequels to the initial picture and a live-action television series. Sony and Marvel Enterprises also said they would establish a 50-50 joint venture to license Spider-Man-related merchandise, including toys, games and apparel, that could generate billions of dollars in revenues.

http://openjurist.org/277/f3d/253/twentieth-v-marvel

Actually, I thought I had heard differently. You're quoting an article from 1999 and a court case from 2002, but here's an article from 2009:
http://collider.com/disney-and-marvel-web-up-spider-man-tv-rights/
Today, however, we have some potentially very good news for fans of TV’s “Spectacular Spider-Man” and for Spidey fans in general: Sony has relinquished all television rights for the web slinger in favor of some more favorable film options for the property. Not only does this open up the future for animated projects, but could possibly give us the opportunity for a Smallville-esque live action Spider-series. Is your spider-sense tingling? If so, hit the thwip…er…jump, for more.
I'm not saying they would, or even should (he would rather steal the show if he appeared), but its interesting to think that they could...

These studios should just crossover and split costs and profits. Everyone would come out a winner.

These studios should just crossover and split costs and profits. Everyone would come out a winner.

You wouldn't get additional viewers, therefore no additional profits. Marvel would lose 50% of their profits. Terrible idea for Marvel.

I was just thinking, don't the legal rights for these characters differ between mediums? I mean, we all know Sony has the rights to Spider-Man films, so none of the MCU films can reference Spider-Man, and we won't see Andrew Garfield's Parker joining the Avengers, but this is TV, so is that different? I mean, doesn't Disney already have TV shows with all their characters, or is it different when it's animation?

If they could get away with it, wouldn't it be great to have a small appearance by Spider-Man? Nothing to step on the toes of Sony's movies, but just an indication that he's out there, and he exists in this version of the Marvel universe. Same for the F4, and maybe even Mutants.
Eh... I hope that doesn't happen. No offense. From my view, it's bad enough on some other boards (not SHH) constantly asking why Spider-Man (or X-Men, or Fantastic 4, or whoever else) isn't in the Avengers/will they be in Avengers 2.

I think having cameos or nods in this show like that (which is meant to be tied to the universe we have in the movies so far) will cause more confusion among the average viewer/general audience not understanding why they could be in the tv show but can't appear in the movies.

Just my opinion.

I never got this, sounds like win win for both companies.

With a live-action film, they would shatter every record if they had Iron Man (and the other Avengers) and Spider-man in the same movie.

Again, my understanding is that -- for TV alone -- they wouldn't actually have to pay Sony anything, or make any deal, as they already own the TV rights (just not the film rights). Of course, doing so wouldn't garner any feelings of goodwill between the companies. It would be more like a slap in the face to Sony. Though maybe they could get away with a casual reference in passing.

I also tend to agree with the earlier post that it might not actually create all that much of an increase in viewers, but I don't know that.

Again, my understanding is that -- for TV alone -- they wouldn't actually have to pay Sony anything, or make any deal, as they already own the TV rights (just not the film rights). Of course, doing so wouldn't garner any feelings of goodwill between the companies. It would be more like a slap in the face to Sony. Though maybe they could get away with a casual reference in passing.

I also tend to agree with the earlier post that it might not actually create all that much of an increase in viewers, but I don't know that.

That's crazy talk. Spider-man is one of Marvel's- hell, he is their biggest live-action star. Just one they don't own the rights to.

That he may be, but if all he could ever appear as is an odd appearance ( and given the expense of doing him even slightly well, that's what he'd be ), it wouldn't matter all that much.

That's crazy talk. Spider-man is one of Marvel's- hell, he is their biggest live-action star. Just one they don't own the rights to.
Except, apparently, the TV rights, which Sony was said to have relinquished in order to extend their film rights.

The potential problem I see with this is that Spiderman is too popular. There'd be a real risk of "Agents of SHIELD" becoming "Spidey, and a Bunch of Secret Service Dudes Who Follow Him Around." And nobody wants to see that! Or maybe they do... :woot:

That he may be, but if all he could ever appear as is an odd appearance ( and given the expense of doing him even slightly well, that's what he'd be ), it wouldn't matter all that much.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Does make me wonder if there will ever be a live-action Spider-man show.

Spidey appearing with just practical swinging and epic parkour would be awesome.

Maybe there'd be stock footage from the films and some cheap new sfx swinging that'd be cool.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Does make me wonder if there will ever be a live-action Spider-man show.

I used to watch one growing up, looking back now...terrible...

Making a TV show that either undermines or references Sony's Spidey films would be a breach of contract. That makes MCU Spider-Man a very difficult character to bring to life, and it's also one that could not ever be referenced in an MCU film, even if it's a TV MCU Spider-Man. It's a bad idea.

Amazing Spider-Man was a good film, but it made less money than Avengers... acting like Spider-Man is some sort of uber money maker is not based in fact. Iron Man is the favorite superhero amongst the kiddies nowadays, not the web slinger. So, unless Sony's giving him away for free, Marvel can make more money by continuing to promote Iron Man rather than shelling out money to get Spider-Man and not increase their profits much, if at all. Popularity doesn't stack like that. If everyone who saw Amazing Spider-Man also saw Avengers, adding Spider-Man to Avengers would do jack squat.

It is not a matter of can, but, should.

If it is a one-off appearance, that is fine; but, I do not want the program to (hypothetically) become Spidey and His Amazing Friends At SHIELD. Spider-Man has been oversaturated, like Wolverine.

Making a TV show that either undermines or references Sony's Spidey films would be a breach of contract. That makes MCU Spider-Man a very difficult character to bring to life, and it's also one that could not ever be referenced in an MCU film, even if it's a TV MCU Spider-Man. It's a bad idea.

Amazing Spider-Man was a good film, but it made less money than Avengers... acting like Spider-Man is some sort of uber money maker is not based in fact. Iron Man is the favorite superhero amongst the kiddies nowadays, not the web slinger. So, unless Sony's giving him away for free, Marvel can make more money by continuing to promote Iron Man rather than shelling out money to get Spider-Man and not increase their profits much, if at all. Popularity doesn't stack like that. If everyone who saw Amazing Spider-Man also saw Avengers, adding Spider-Man to Avengers would do jack squat.

But what's the best MCU can hope for with just movies? Spider-man showing up in the third Avengers movie? And that's a big if.

I'm not saying go against Sony, I am saying bring them aboard.

Spider-man on TV and maybe even in Avengers 3.

It is not a matter of can, but, should.

If it is a one-off appearance, that is fine; but, I do not want the program to (hypothetically) become Spidey and His Amazing Friends At SHIELD. Spider-Man has been oversaturated, like Wolverine.

Agreed. We already have a cartoon that does that.

But what's the best MCU can hope for with just movies? Spider-man showing up in the third Avengers movie? And that's a big if.

I'm not saying go against Sony, I am saying bring them aboard.

Spider-man on TV and maybe even in Avengers 3.

If Sony's willing to let MCU use Spidey for free, go for it. If they want money, MCU's better off making that money by promoting Iron Man than paying Sony for use of Spidey.

And as long as Spidey's in high school in the films, a high school Spidey TV show would be seen as sabotaging their deal with Sony. Lawsuits, ugly stuff that.

What they *could* do however, is bring in Miles Morales. THAT would be interesting.

I don't think there's a big demand for Miles Morales on either side. So... maybe?

I never got this, sounds like win win for both companies.

With a live-action film, they would shatter every record if they had Iron Man (and the other Avengers) and Spider-man in the same movie.

It would be great to see this in the near future, especially with Downey and Garfield on board, but it's probably a decade away from happening unfortunately.

No it wouldn't. And that would undermine Sony as much as anything.

How would having a different Spider-Man on a TV show with no links to Peter Parker undermine Sony? It certainly wouldn't undermine Sony as much as making a Peter-Parker-in-high-school-dating-Gwen-Stacy-fighting-Lizard-Electro-and-Rhino TV show.

And honestly, Miles Morales' awesomeness is pretty much beyond question at this point. It's a high quality story all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"