The Winter Soldier Do you think the Red Skull will return?

cleverusername8

Sidekick
Reaction score
Since he's obviously alive. I highly doubt he's been recruited by Thanos (like Loki) but after seeing that episode of the Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes that explores the Winter Soldier I'm wondering if they'll adapt some of those ideas.

It'd be especially interesting to see Fury's vendetta against the WS and use that explanation for losing his eye. Only if they choose to go that route of course.

Do think this is likely or even possible?

Making WS responsible for Fury's lost eye seems like a very bad idea - it only serves to make the universe seem smaller and less complex. A bit George Lucasy. It's better to keep the main characters' histories mostly separate, as it helps to make the whole thing feel more vibrant and alive

Also I think Red Skull's return will probably be the focus of Cap 3. RS and WS both showing up again in Cap's life at roughly the same time is sorta cheesy

Maybe they do something post credits, but I don't think he'll show up in the movie itself. Still hoping for Zemo.

I don't think Skully will be a part of CATWS at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's teased in the post-creds for Cap 3.

My own personal theory is that Skully went to the part of the galaxy that Thanos calls his throne at the end of CATFA, and the post-cred for CATWS will show him as Thanos' servant, getting ready to visit his old pal Steve for Cap 3.

^yeah?

lol I just don't see the Skull being anyone's servant

I don't want to see Skull in this movie, let Zemo or Strucker be the villain this time. Have Red Skull's glorious return be in Cap 3.

^yeah?

lol I just don't see the Skull being anyone's servant

With Thanos, it's not like anyone has a choice. :yay:

But I could see it more as a business arrangement, just like he made with Loki. Only Loki was actually being used and manipulated the whole time without even realizing it; and I could see Thanos doing the same to Red Skull.

apparently not with weaving lol

Hugo Weaving, says he doesn't have any desire to reprise the character...at all.

I did that for Captain America. I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don’t think Red Skull will be there. And it’s not something I would want to do again. I’m glad I did it. I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to. I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.
http://collider.com/hugo-weaving-the-hobbit-trilogy-interview/203015/

If Weaving signed on for multiple pictures and they want him back, then in all likelihood he will be back.

Either way, I don't anticipate seeing Red Skull again until Cap 3 either.

Mixed feelings. Hate recasts, but I really would rather see them terminate his contract than never use the Red Skull again. Red Skull isn't a one movie villain. He looms too large in Captain America's comic book legacy.
But considering Red Skull has transferred his body and mind multiple times, I think it's actually kind of easy to recast.

Just recast him. No point bringing Hugo Weaving back if he really doesn't want to return.

I think Red Skull should return in the third Captain America movie.

Just recast him. No point bringing Hugo Weaving back if he really doesn't want to return.

I think Red Skull should return in the third Captain America movie.
Or even a future Avengers movie but ideally, having him back for the third one would make the series feel somewhat whole. Cap has a fairly short list of well-known foes so it's not going to be hard to get to most of them in the trilogy, although it would make the movies feel a little packed.

For some reason I guess watching the old Spidey cartoon in the 90s I was under the impression that he was the main villain for the avengers. I was so ignorant back then. I think Hugo is red skull and he shouldn't be recast but if he has a change of heart between now and the third movie starting production I'd be all for it.

Definitely think that Red Skull should return for the third film... With Cap now in the present, it will really keep the focus on Cap then have it become "Cap and friends"

Red Skull could certainly push Cap to his limits, especially if they bring in CrossBones... And if Weaving doesn't want to return, either recast or bring in Sin

I definitely believe the character needs to (and will) return in Cap 3. And I'd rather see a recast with a more willing actor than see Weaving slog his way through it again with even less passion than he showed the first time.

I definitely believe the character needs to (and will) return in Cap 3. And I'd rather see a recast with a more willing actor than see Weaving slog his way through it again with even less passion than he showed the first time.

I'm not getting this whole "Weaving was awful" vibe that's floating around. I don't think the character met it's break out potential, but I'd say it was at the very least, a serviceable performance.

Apples and Oranges, since it's villain vs. hero, but I found Weaving's Red Skull better than Norton's Banner, which some posters claim was too good to let go of.

They can always get an actor who will be prepared to wear the Red Skull makeup full time, then that way it will be harder to tell that it isn't Hugo Weaving. His skull could easily have mutated or changed over the decades since the war.

I'm not getting this whole "Weaving was awful" vibe that's floating around. I don't think the character met it's break out potential, but I'd say it was at the very least, a serviceable performance.

Apples and Oranges, since it's villain vs. hero, but I found Weaving's Red Skull better than Norton's Banner, which some posters claim was too good to let go of.

I never said Weaving was "awful," nor do I agree with that assessment; I just said that he lacked passion for the role. Which I forgive him for, since the writers made the role as stereotypical and one-dimensional as possible.

They can always get an actor who will be prepared to wear the Red Skull makeup full time, then that way it will be harder to tell that it isn't Hugo Weaving. His skull could easily have mutated or changed over the decades since the war.

More to the point: Skully was whisked off to Somewhere Else for the past 70 years, and that place could have transformed him physically in a major way.

Hugo Weaving is a tremendous actor and he was amazing as The Red Skull, but he comes off as one of those snobby elitist actors. I'm surprised he even did a comic book movie. Apparantly, he didn't give a sh** about the Transformers either. Damn shame if a re-cast happens.

Last edited:
Recast Red Skull if he's going to cry about it. I hope they cast Kevin Bacon because we know he can do a German villain (first class) and he's a great actor.

Hugo Weaving is a tremendous actor and he was amazing as The Red Skull, but he comes off as one of those snobby elitist actors. I'm surprised he even did a comic book movie. Apparantly, he didn't give a sh** about the Transformers either. Damn shame if a re-cast happens.

He's alright. He's never blown me away with his performances. I liked him as Red Skull but I don't like his snobby attitude so I hope they recast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"