The Winter Soldier Do you think the Red Skull will return?

Weaving kind of came off like a bit of a jerk in the interview. Understandable if he doesn't want to do the sequels he shouldn't have to do them. But why'd he sign up for the role and possibly multiple movies if he didn't want to make the commitment?

Weaving's casting as Megatron in the Transformers movies was one of the biggest mistakes in the franchise and completely freaking pointless. This is more proof of it.

Well, one thing we know about Marvel is they're not afraid to recast anybody. So if Weaving makes too much of a fuss I don't think Marvel will take very long to let him go and get someone new.

I hope if Red Skull returns, he is actually truly evil, instead of just being a lame James Bond villain. Weaving did okay as der Skull, but the script barely gave him anything to do and his accent was silly, I think its easy to recast the character because he will be wearing a ton of makeup and he didn't make much of a impact in the first film.

I'd like it if Weaving returned, but if he's done with it, more power to him. It doesn't retroactively change anything about what's currently my second favorite Marvel Studios movie.

I don't blame Weaving for not wanting to come back. I think he had greater aspirations for the character than Marvel were willing to portray. It's a bit of a shame really.

Hopefully whoever gets to portray the Skull next has a good director backing him up so he could do something great.

I think the reactions to Hugo Weaving and the subsequent bandwagoning to "meh, he wasn't anything special" ridiculous. He wasn't bad, but wasn't given much to do really, either. And that's because most characters in these movies are "showcases," rather than full fledged characters. Why is it that so many actors aren't too keen on their collaboration with Marvel? Terrence Howard, Edward Norton, Mickey Rourke, Jeremy Renner...

Agent Smith is all I need to say. That isn't even close to his best work and he pretty much was perfection and the best villain we had seen in many years before Joker and Chigurh.

Hugo Weaving is a great character actor. Like Johnny Depp imo. Agent Smith, V, Elrond, Megatron, Red Skull all such iconic characters you'd think eventually he'd run out of creativity. But nope it just keeps flowing.

I think the reactions to Hugo Weaving and the subsequent bandwagoning to "meh, he wasn't anything special" ridiculous. He wasn't bad, but wasn't given much to do really, either. And that's because most characters in these movies are "showcases," rather than full fledged characters. Why is it that so many actors aren't too keen on their collaboration with Marvel? Terrence Howard, Edward Norton, Mickey Rourke, Jeremy Renner...

Maybe because Howard and Norton got fired?
Rourke wanted to do more with his character, and was pissed that he didn't. I honestly haven't heard Renner say one bad thing about Marvel; don't know where you got that one from.

Its a shame that Weaving doesn't want to reprise the role, but I honestly kinda felt this was coming. He didn't seem to promote the film as much as I expected him to and I think I really only remember a couple of interviews that he did about the role. I am fine with a recast on Red Skull as I think it is one of the characters that can be recast and we may not notice it as much since the actor will be wearing a lot of makeup.

My out-of-the-box suggestion for Skull in Cap3: Rainn Wilson.

Maybe because Howard and Norton got fired?
Rourke wanted to do more with his character, and was pissed that he didn't. I honestly haven't heard Renner say one bad thing about Marvel; don't know where you got that one from.

Renner said recently that the Hawkeye in Avengers "wasn't the character he signed up to play."

I'd like to see Marvel snap up Christoph Waltz for this. Weaving didn't really impress me as Red Skull, and neither did the movie (hated the cheesiness). Really didn't like how the character was incredibly one-dimensional in the movie when he's this well-written nazi in the comics.

I'm confused what else Weaving wanted to do with the character that he didn't get to do.

Kind of like how much Mickey Rourke was mouthing off about Iron Man 2 considering his career was brought back from the brink of extinction many times over. He should be more grateful for these opportunities.

Renner said recently that the Hawkeye in Avengers "wasn't the character he signed up to play."

Uhm well he also said,

All I could really work on was the physical part of it all, because that didn’t change. That was just the biggest challenge to overcome in playing the guy. Also, we’re pretty much introducing a new superhero character to everyone in a movie where there’s a thousand superheroes. So there’s not a lot of back story or understanding we can really tell about who Clint Barton is, or Hawkeye, and is he working for SHIELD or not. There’s a lot of unanswered questions, even for me. And I was OK with that. At least I was still in the movie. And I was glad for that. The closest thing I could really link to was Scarlett [Johansson's] character, Black Widow, because they have a history. And that definitely plays in the movie, I think. And obviously, you can’t go into too much just because there’s so much story to tell, but you definitely get a sense that they’re connected, and that there’s something really, really important that ties them together. And I could try to summarize it, but it can go a lot of places. That excites me, though, that there’s room for other things.

To me it sounds like he was just disappointed not to be able to handle the character they it was first pitched to him, but he was happy to service the film anyway he could.

And his probably super excited for a what the future holds for his character and how Hawkeye will develop in future... But he certainly doesnt sound like his about to leave Marvel now.

Weaving's words read more to me that he didn't enough to do to be amped about another go round, as opposed to an outright "Yeah, **** that". Maybe a more substantive role would change his tune.

In any event, I wouldn't want to see Schmidt until Cap 3.

Why dd Weaving bother to sign up for 3 films in the first place? Think it's disgraceful to be honest.

Anyway I reckon Evans will only be around for two solo Cap films ad 2 Avengers films so I say leave Red Skull until a reboot/requel in future which by then it won't matter if you get a new actor.

Uhm well he also said,

To me it sounds like he was just disappointed not to be able to handle the character they it was first pitched to him, but he was happy to service the film anyway he could.

And his probably super excited for a what the future holds for his character and how Hawkeye will develop in future... But he certainly doesnt sound like his about to leave Marvel now.

Yeah, Renner doesn't sound like he's badmouthing Marvel at all. Just that he was disappointed that he didn't get a chance to play Hawkeye as more of a hero, instead of having to be a mind-control zombie for over half of his scenes.

Why dd Weaving bother to sign up for 3 films in the first place? Think it's disgraceful to be honest.

Anyway I reckon Evans will only be around for two solo Cap films ad 2 Avengers films so I say leave Red Skull until a reboot/requel in future which by then it won't matter if you get a new actor.

Marvel is not doing reboots. They've already stated that they will recast characters as need be, but plan on continuing in the same cinematic universe for a long, long time.

Weaving, even with next to nothing to work with, made a fantastic Red Skull. My guess is he's disappointed in the thinly written character that The Skull ended up being. I don't blame him for being hesitant about returning, contract or not. The Red Skull is one of a few characters that wouldn't suffer much for a recast, provided they get someone talented.

I'm confused what else Weaving wanted to do with the character that he didn't get to do.

Kind of like how much Mickey Rourke was mouthing off about Iron Man 2 considering his career was brought back from the brink of extinction many times over. He should be more grateful for these opportunities.

Iron Man 2 didn't revive Rourke's career.

Mickey had an issue with how Marvel Studios handled his character in post-production, and judging from what was presented, he had every right to be critical. Whiplash was a very lackluster villain.

So, for Weaving leaving the Captain America franchise, it's not surprising. The writing for character was bland and shallow. It was quite uninspiring. Hugo did the best he could for the role but he was limited.

Yes, but not immediately. Red Skull's return is something that should be built up to over a longer period of time. They should do Zemo or Strucker first.

Give him a meatier part to work with, and I'd bet he'd be on board with reprising the role.

Well I loved Weavings performance as the Red Skull and I hope they bring that character back at some point, whether its in an Cap or Avengers sequel. I would prefer weaving to come back but this is one of those characters that can be easily recast without it being distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"