• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Does it bother anyone else that Superman's heat vision is nerfed?

bigboss

Civilian
Reaction score
Every time he uses heat vision in the movie, he can't hold it as it seemingly hurts him and he has to blink away. This is most noticeable in the fight against Zod when he melts the metal beam but gets hit anyways because he had to close his eyes. What gives? Why would Snyder & co. decide to rewrite this power? Makes one of Superman's coolest abilities not look so cool anymore :(

This "nerf" isn't even consistent because Zod for whatever reason doesn't have this problem, which is especially notable at the end.

Every time he uses heat vision in the movie, he can't hold it as it seemingly hurts him and he has to blink away. This is most noticeable in the fight against Zod when he melts the metal beam but gets hit anyways because he had to close his eyes. What gives? Why would Snyder & co. decide to rewrite this power? Makes one of Superman's coolest abilities not look so cool anymore :(

This "nerf" isn't even consistent because Zod for whatever reason doesn't have this problem, which is especially notable at the end.

I'm okay with the change. I liked the fact that he had to concentrate, and
blink, he may have indestructible eyeballs, but it makes sense that if he's going to shoot enough energy to instantly liquefy steel out of them, it
might make him blink. But this is just IMO.

Personally, one of the things I liked best about MOS was that everything Supes does requires an effort. When he lifts the oil rig, smashes Faora through the dump truck, heat-blasts Faora and Nam-Ek, flies up the gravity beam, all of those require a lot of effort and an audible grunt.
You get the feeling he's giving it all he's got, which makes him a bit easier to relate to. Again, that's just IMO.

I think Zod does actually show quite a bit of pain, when he cuts that building in half (from the inside). In fact he kind of shoots his beams off everywhere, because he lacks the control or experience that Kal has with them.

:super:

To be fair, they presented the Kryptonian body as indestructible but still having to feel a degree of pain/physics in relation to their environment. For instance, heat vision is probably similar to crying, where we can feel the liquid come out but it doesn't because...it's tears. However, for heat vision, you're feeling the heat of upwards of God knows what degrees...of course it's gonna be jarring to feel.

Also, they didn't change the power itself. They just changed how a person would feel using heat vision in a realistic setting. I don't think it's that big of a deal, nor did it make me think any less of the power.

Love it! Very nice detail they given.

Yeah its nice to add that detail, I imagine it would hurt if it were real. The heat vision in MOS was the best I've seen.

I don't think Clark uses heat vision that often and using that metaphorical "muscle" is a strain for him. It's like hitting the gym for the first time, it hurts. Over time I think he'll get better at it. Let's all remember that Clark's very new to everything, that's the main message.

Yea, as Batmannerism said, Zod was also in quite a bit of pain; he was actually yelling out in discomfort as he was using his heat vision to destroy the building.

And I suspect they not only feel pain, but the heat vision also makes them slightly dizzy/disoriented, as seen when Clark was in the arctic, shaking his head after using his heat vision.

I actually really liked this addition, don't really know why, but I thought it was a nice touch.

And it was like they will unleash the heat vision when they r in anger.

Yeah I am in the camp that liked this change as well, it now makes more sense when Superman doesnt use it very much because it throws him off for a second. I'm sure the more he develops it over time it will get easier to use as well.

Also, Zod did feel pain when he used his, and fear, you see the look on his face and he wants to get out of that building as quickly as possible.

Remember though when he used his heat vision to stop Lois' internal bleeding, or when he used it to dig the tunnel to the ship under all the ice. He even used it effectively to heat the door knob as a kid.

He has more control over it then many may think, but I dont think hes quite mastered it yet.

^He has more control over it as an adult but it still disorientates him each time he uses it, I think this will go with time and use over the course of the movies.

How can Superman being shown to melt a steel I-beam in SECONDS be thought of in any way as a "nerf"?

How can Superman being shown to melt a steel I-beam in SECONDS be thought of in any way as a "nerf"?

Because he can't hold it for super long times like in the comics and it causes him disorientation which gives his opponent a chance to hit him after he uses it.

Just like bigboss mentioned in the very first post.

I am starting to think people only ever read the Thread titles anymore.

Because he can't hold it for super long times like in the comics and it causes him disorientation which gives his opponent a chance to hit him after he uses it.

Just like bigboss mentioned in the very first post.

I am starting to think people only ever read the Thread titles anymore.

Oh I read it. Again... he did something right out of a comic book in using his power. That they decided to, in the presentation of said power, show that the immense heat he produced caused some physical pain is immaterial to me, really. He used his power, in a way I as a long time fan was totally impressed by. I don't see the nerf at all.

To me that means they toned it down properly and didn't slap him about with the nerf bat. They made it painful and a plausible reliability so he can't one shot everyone with it.

So I am quite happy.

Indeed. They explained why he doesn't use it to solve all his problems. It was smart.

He isn't completelly accostumed to his powers, in least not those he barelly uses

To me that means they toned it down properly and didn't slap him about with the nerf bat. They made it painful and a plausible reliability so he can't one shot everyone with it.

So I am quite happy.

Same here, it was actually a clever little addition to the character. This way he only uses it in desperate situations, like when he is pinned down by Zamek and Faora in Smallville (Possibly my favourite scene in the movie).

I strongly disagree. The beams are so damn powerful that they can't just keep their eyes open and nothing bad happens. Typically we actually see them depicted as fine lasers as opposed to fire exploding out of their eyes.

Heat Vision taps into the actual energy reserves so it should be used wisely.

No look cool? I though it looked awesome because that's how powerful it is. You make it seem like they made the heat vision weaker when that's not at all the reality.

Zod certainly had this problem.When he first uses it, he can't even control it and also get's a little loopy after turning it off.

The second time he uses it he's trying with all his might to keep it on. It's like trying not the blink.

I didn't think it looked 'less cool'. For me Superman needing some kind of force of will to use his heat vision is more interesting than the old take (staring intently without any visible tension).

Also compare: when he was younger and he used his heat vision to heat up the door knob, he didn't exhibit pain because the heat required wasn't that much. But when he battles the Kryptonians and tries to melt solid steel until it splinters, then he needs to tap into that vast reserve of energy to do so...hence the physical manifestation of that effort that is required...even for a Superman.

I don't think Clark uses heat vision that often and using that metaphorical "muscle" is a strain for him. It's like hitting the gym for the first time, it hurts. Over time I think he'll get better at it. Let's all remember that Clark's very new to everything, that's the main message.
Remember though when he used his heat vision to stop Lois' internal bleeding, or when he used it to dig the tunnel to the ship under all the ice. He even used it effectively to heat the door knob as a kid.
I think kid clark didn't have the ability of contain or getting out so much power, the power he has there was the one he had, an I think when kid it has to be with emotion, he wasn't mad and therefore he used that. I wonder where did Supes have heat vision.. as a kid or teenager?
He has more control over it then many may think, but I dont think hes quite mastered it yet.
Exactly!!! as muscle yet not completely controled and not used all the time. not to mention the great power it has when it comes out of his eyes.

So I am quite happy.
Actually I think this version of heat vision is much powerful but not 100% controled. Therefore it's much much awesome!!! :woot:

its "odd" to see it being used so wildly when its been so precise and clean in every other iteration.. I prefer the MOS style given the story

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"