Doom Patrol the Movie

Duneboy

......incognito
Reaction score

DC's "Doom Patrol" to Hit the Big Screen
Posted by Scott Weinberg on Thursday, Jul. 20, 2006, 02:29 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "They used to be considered DC's answer to Marvel's "X-Men," but your average movie fan has probably never heard of "Doom Patrol." Well, that's about to change, because the dark-hero team will soon be a movie, thanks to Warner Bros. and producer Akiva Goldsman.

Says Variety: "Warner Bros. Pictures is giving new life to DC Comics cult favorite "Doom Patrol," about a band of superheroes with freakish powers, with Akiva Goldsman producing the bigscreen adaptation through his Warners-based Weed Road Pictures. Studio has hired Adam Turner to pen the screenplay.

News is sure to set off buzz at Comic-Con. Debuting in 1963, "Doom Patrol" was often compared to Marvel's "X-Men." Both comics follow the exploits of a band of super-powered social misfits ostracized by the rest of the world. As with X-Men, the Doom Patrol is guided by a wheelchair-boundmentor in fighting evil. Characters include Elasti-Girl, Negative Man and Robotman."

Akiva Goldsman's comic book resumé includes "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin.""

not sure if anyone's seen this one yet. -D. :hq:

Screw Mento, Robotman b***hes!

Both. There's a chance people are going to take this as a ripoff of X-Men. Considering The Chief operates in a wheelchair like Professor X. There's also the fact that both books debuted in the same year. And how everyone on the team uses their newly found "gifts" for good.

Batman said:
Both. There's a chance people are going to take this as a ripoff of X-Men. Considering The Chief operates in a wheelchair like Professor X. There's also the fact that both books debuted in the same year. And how everyone on the team uses their newly found "gifts" for good.

Agreed Bats, agreed.

:daredevil:up:

Me thinks that this movie will end up not getting made just like the Metal Men and Zatana movies

The best way to stay away from the X-Men comparisons is to take Grant Mossison's trippy, deep, quasi extisentialist version of the group.

Would be nice to see Crazy Jane on the silver screen.

Duneboy said:
DC's "Doom Patrol" to Hit the Big Screen
Posted by Scott Weinberg on Thursday, Jul. 20, 2006, 02:29 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "They used to be considered DC's answer to Marvel's "X-Men," but your average movie fan has probably never heard of "Doom Patrol." Well, that's about to change, because the dark-hero team will soon be a movie, thanks to Warner Bros. and producer Akiva Goldsman.

Says Variety: "Warner Bros. Pictures is giving new life to DC Comics cult favorite "Doom Patrol," about a band of superheroes with freakish powers, with Akiva Goldsman producing the bigscreen adaptation through his Warners-based Weed Road Pictures. Studio has hired Adam Turner to pen the screenplay.

News is sure to set off buzz at Comic-Con. Debuting in 1963, "Doom Patrol" was often compared to Marvel's "X-Men." Both comics follow the exploits of a band of super-powered social misfits ostracized by the rest of the world. As with X-Men, the Doom Patrol is guided by a wheelchair-boundmentor in fighting evil. Characters include Elasti-Girl, Negative Man and Robotman."

Akiva Goldsman's comic book resumé includes "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin.""

not sure if anyone's seen this one yet. -D. :hq:

this movie is going to suck.

Anubis said:
Would be nice to see Crazy Jane on the silver screen.

The Brotherhood of Dada would be the greatest movie villain team of all time.

The Question said:
The best way to stay away from the X-Men comparisons is to take Grant Mossison's trippy, deep, quasi extisentialist version of the group.
Also I would make Niles a jerk as they did in recent Teen Titan's books. I would focus on who he caused their accidents. I think there is a real cool story line there.

ShadowBoxing said:
Also I would make Niles a jerk as they did in recent Teen Titan's books. I would focus on who he caused their accidents. I think there is a real cool story line there.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Morrison came up with the "Cheif caused their accidents" thing.

Yeah...they should keep that aspect. It'll make it totally stand out from other superhero movies if they used that plot. And the average movie public would be blown away by the revelation.

Though....Akiva Goldsman....****!!!! This guy helped killed the Batman franshise a while back. Why WB still giving him comic movies to handle. :(

Who cares if he wrote A beautiful Mind.

Who knows? Nipply costumes might actually work for the Doom Patrol if they're going the Morrison route.

Yeah, aslong as it's not some 90 minute music video like Batman & Robin or dardevil.

Batman said:

Little fact...The Doom Patrol debuted 3 months before the X-men.

sto_vo_kor_2000 said:
Little fact...The Doom Patrol debuted 3 months before the X-men.

That's not what I said. I said the year, not the month. Both books debuted in the year of 1963.

Given that X-Men came out in September, three months earlier would still make it "in the same year."

Batman said:
That's not what I said. I said the year, not the month. Both books debuted in the year of 1963.

I am not trying to argue just bringing up a little trivia sorry

I think DC is trying to ride the coat tails of the success of the X-Men triliogy brought to Marvel.
Why can't they do a Legion movie? Totally opposite from the X-Men? And I never liked the DP's leader, Niles C. anyway. I knew he had something to do with their accidents and unlike Charles X. who uses his mind to contact everyone in the X-Men...Niles uses manipulation to control his team....
Niles has hair....
Charles doesn't...
Niles is bound in a wheelchair...
Charles is bound in a wheelchair...

Yeah, I agree....it's going to suck...

fans will prefer more X-Men then this DC clone version thing.
"No originality what's so ever"

I don't understand why this was green light when there are bigger characters or teams out there.

Fledermaus said:
Because the guy wrote Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. He's 0 for 2.

He also wrote "A Beautiful Mind." And alot of the weird descisions were made by Schumacher, and he was influenced by the studio execs who wanted to make the film into one big toy comerciual. They're the ones you have to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"