• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Arrow Episode 9: Year's End - Discussion/Rate & Review Thread

I liked the very Norman Osbourn-ish looks Merlyn was giving to everyone who was leaving the table.:woot:

Well he did say to Q. Lance that Hood is a stupid title, i think by season 2 or in the second half of season 1 he will be called Green Arrow or Arrow.

Lots of BB,TDK and TDKR refrences, similarities, you name it.

Oliver calling Dig for help = BB
Dark Archer's threat of killing the hostages unless Green Arrow reveals himself = TDK
Oliver vs Archer = TDKR

its nice to see how Nolan has affected pretty much everything, from James Bond to Green Arrow etc but i think it will get annoying after a while.

even the overhead shots of the city are similar to the Dark Knight.
I'm looking forward to a scene where Ollie is fighting Slade on the island and Slade says "You haven't beaten me.You've sacrificed sure footing for a Deathstroke!":woot:

Well he did say to Q. Lance that Hood is a stupid title, i think by season 2 or in the second half of season 1 he will be called Green Arrow or Arrow.

Lots of BB,TDK and TDKR refrences, similarities, you name it.

Oliver calling Dig for help = BB
Dark Archer's threat of killing the hostages unless Green Arrow reveals himself = TDK
Oliver vs Archer = TDKR

its nice to see how Nolan has affected pretty much everything, from James Bond to Green Arrow etc but i think it will get annoying after a while.

even the overhead shots of the city are similar to the Dark Knight.

Reaching....

I missed the mid season finale, so I'll have to watch it online, but from what I've heard it was a good one.

I like that they're trying to make it realistic. Newspapers don't come up with superheroic names for vigilantes anymore.

This is the reasoning I'm really starting to hate. If it's based on a comic book, you're allowed to have a level of heightened reality, it's not like if that happened people would all of a sudden go; "What? A newspaper gave a name to a vigilante? Well that just takes me right out of the show and makes it all unbelievable. I'm gonna stop watching this. ****ing comic books man."

Last edited:
I think the show is just following the Smallville plot of being close but not quite there. Hood=Blur.

Best episode yet.Liked the Green Arrow mention and explosive arrow.Looking forward to the last half of the season.More Dark Archer and Felicity please.

This is the reasoning I'm really starting to hate. If it's based on a comic book, you're aloud to have a level of heightened reality, it's not like if that happened people would all of a sudden go; "What? A newspaper gave a name a vigilante? Well that just takes me right out of the show and makes it all unbelievable. I'm gonna stop watching this. ****ing comic books man."
:up: As usual,I must agree.

I liked that the Dark Archer used a voice modifier when he confronted Ollie.

This is the reasoning I'm really starting to hate. If it's based on a comic book, you're aloud to have a level of heightened reality, it's not like if that happened people would all of a sudden go; "What? A newspaper gave a name to a vigilante? Well that just takes me right out of the show and makes it all unbelievable. I'm gonna stop watching this. ****ing comic books man."

You're also allowed not to take that shortcut, though, right?

It's not a shortcut though, they already have the police and news outlets using the "The Hood" moniker. It's like why even bother doing that? Just name him "Green Arrow" and be done with it. Well, they're never going to call him "Green Arrow" because that's too comic book-y, but I doubt they would have had any less viewers if they came out the gate and had him called "The Arrow", I mean it's not an ideal name, but it's something.

And hey, if this show was about Batman, they'd be calling him "The Man Who Dresses Like a Bat-Guy".

It's not a shortcut though, they already have the police and news outlets using the "The Hood" moniker. It's like why even bother doing that? Just name him "Green Arrow" and be done with it. Well, they're never going to call him "Green Arrow" because that's too comic book-y, but I doubt they would have had any less viewers if they came out the gate and had him called "The Arrow", I mean it's not an ideal name, but it's something.

And hey, if this show was about Batman, they'd be calling him "The Man Who Dresses Like a Bat-Guy".

But surely they aren't required to do something just because they can?

No, if they want to do pointless wheel spinning, they can. But if it's stupid, it should get called out. "The Hood" thing, pretty stupid.

16h7zma.png

I liked that the Dark Archer used a voice modifier when he confronted Ollie.

Meanwhile, Ollie is using Clark's old Blur voice modifier from Smallville when on the phone.

Reaching....

I think most of those comparisons are reaching, but it's The Hype, where everything has to be compared to Nolan's Batman, no matter how farfetched or much of a stretch it is.

I think most of those comparisons are reaching, but it's The Hype, where everything has to be compared to Nolan's Batman, no matter how farfetched or much of a stretch it is.

"Oh, look! He's wearing a suit to a business meeting! That is so Nolan..."

First thing 'yay Detective Lance is back'

Right now that's out the way, I was worried this episode would be the Arrows killed someone oh no he's been set up BUT the cops knew right away it wasn't him which I liked. Also I'm glad Oliver hates the Hood nickname but he said the name Green Arrow was lame when that was suggested :(

Does anyone else think Malcolm Merlyn knows Ollie is Green Arrow?

Lance starting to trust GA, the signs have been there, I do feel Lance won't make it to Season two though I can definitely see a Captain Stacey/Spider-man moment coming for these two eventually.

Again there was a lot if Nolan's Batman moments but I like that about this show. The obvious one in this was the hostage moment that was a straight up rip from TDK lol not to mention that John Diggle is coming across as this shows version of Alfred but none of this bothers me, I love the parallels.

It was very awesome to see Deathstroke again and I can't wait til we get to see the man behind the mask on this show (even if it isn't the same actor ha ha).

As always the action on this show was again incredible. It gets better every week.

It was good to see the Dark Archer and Green Arrow come head to head. Malcolm Merlyn's earlier comments suggested the Dark Archer just a hired goon but of course at the end we knew that wasn't the case. Ollie has definitely met his match. John Barrownan continues to impress me on this show.

I knew Walter wasn't gonna be OK been waiting for something to happen to him.

Lastly I just wanted to add how good it was to have the island flashbacks back.

A very high 9/10

So either I've got it wrong, or everyone seems to have picked up on something different from me, but my take on it...

1. Barrowman is not behind the list and neither is Moira. He keeps mentioning an associate.

2. Ollie deduces that the archer (Merlyn) is not his biggest threat but the person who wrote the list and that is who he's going to take down.

So I personally took from it Barrowman is a henchman, albeit a very high up one. I see Merlyn as this seasons enemy, but the big bad is yet to be revealed (unless dark archer was lying ofc, but still Barrowman mentions an associate so often that its likely he works for/with someone bigger).

When I heard "6 months our plans for the city come to fruition" and "1000's of innocent people are going to die?" my first thought was R'as Al Ghul or some form of the league of shadows.

Maybe my recollection is wrong bit wasn't the associate he mentioned the one who was supposed to kill Oliver? Except he himself went about the task. Maybe he's got a split personality?

Or, I'm just remembering it wrong. :D

Maybe it's just me but Ollie and Thea continue to have some... "inappropriate" chemistry.

I figured he meant that his "associate" was the guy in the black hood, which of course is himself but he's not gonna tell anybody about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"