Fading's art thread

Fading

---
Reaction score
When it comes to art, I've always been iffy about showing ppl. I don't know why, but I always feel it's not good enough. Any compliments I get on anything I draw usually embarass me. However I've always liked to draw and find myself scribling something down when bored. I finally decided to make a deviantart account....well had one, but finally decided to upload something.

I've been at the Hype a bit over 2 years now and just remembered we had a fan art section. So thought while I was uploading my deviant art stuff I'd make a thread here.

It's nothing great, just 2 anime sketches I did a few days ago, but it's a start heh. I'll do something comic book orientated later to fit the Hype's superhero theme.

(BTW, hosting these on my brother's site, so it's not hotlinking)

From Naruto -

naruto_sasuke.jpg

From Bleach -

Ichigo_Kenpachi.jpg

Last edited:
nice stuff so far. don't be afraid to post your stuff, we're some of the nicest (not to mention coolest) people on the hype

nice stuff so far. don't be afraid to post your stuff, we're some of the nicest (not to mention coolest) people on the hype

Thanks, and appreciate the vote of confidence heh. I'll put more on here soon. Have been looking thru some other ppl's threads on here, some seriously good artists on the Hype.

I'm not a fan of anime, but I can appreciate the good stuff here :up:

I'm always envious of people who can colour their work, I fail epically with my stuff.

I'm not a fan of anime, but I can appreciate the good stuff here :up:

I'm always envious of people who can colour their work, I fail epically with my stuff.

I'm not fond coloring myself. My brother on the other hand is good at it. It's just that, A) I don't want to bug him at his house just for that, and B) I have this twitch where if I don't fully do it myself I can't really call it my art.

Plus I'm using coloring pencils from Dick Blick's and you can see little white blotches where I don't completely fill everything in.

I still think you did a good job with it though.

Almost didn't upload this one lol. I'm not one of the types that draws the skeleton first, so I used to jump right in with ink and try to cover up any mistakes. Anymore I draw with pencil first, then ink over it. Problem was with this one the pencil lines didn't come off very well. So I decided to add a background....but I suck at drawing buildings. Once I added the first...it's like potato chips...I had to keep adding more throughout the day lol. I also badly messed up the perspective, I guess you can imagine they're fighting near the top of a hill heh.

juggy_spidey_ca.jpg

Since I haven't updated this forever (haven't drawn much lately), might as well post my entry for the Cap. America deal in this section.

captian_america.jpg

Think I'll draw something Gundam tomorrow. Watched the first series all the way thru finally and am feeling in a Gundam mood.

Cap's not too bad.

If I may be so bold, though. I'd recommend coloring in photoshop or illustrator. Far more effective than paper-based colors.

Cap's not too bad.

If I may be so bold, though. I'd recommend coloring in photoshop or illustrator. Far more effective than paper-based colors.

I agree, and I have and know how to use photoshop. It's just that most of these stay in a sketch book I bought awhile back, but never filled up. So they're basically already done and I just scan them after. If I didn't keep the real paper versions I wouldn't worry as much about coloring them in in the first place. I agree tho, it would look better if I did.

Before I colored this one I thought I'd post the black and white version. It's a fight from the 70's Gundam series. I tried to keep it more to the original style. Mainly did it because A) I'm in a Gundam mood, and B) I wanted to draw metal being sliced in half lol.

gundam_bw.jpg

I'll post a colored version later, probably photoshop in real space behind it or something as that's where the fights supposed to be taking place....but I don't feel like inking the entire background black :).

Last edited:
This is my colored version of the above pic -

gundam.jpg

This is where my bro made a space background, put it as a layer underneat, got rid of the empty white space, and blurred it a bit (thnx bro :) ) -

gundam_space.jpg

3 pics to add this time.

Steven Colbert fighting a bear being controlled by Bill O'Reilly (no clue why I did this one, lol) -

colbert.jpg

This is a group pic of the One Piece gang (from an anime) -

one_piece.jpg

This is from the game FFX, a fictional fight inbetween a character named Auron, and an Aeon named Ifrit -

auron_ifrit.jpg

instead of using color pencils i think you should invest in some copic sketch markers. Any good art store will have them. Many manga artists use them in their work and they're quite easy to work with.

instead of using color pencils i think you should invest in some copic sketch markers. Any good art store will have them. Many manga artists use them in their work and they're quite easy to work with.

I might next time I'm by an art store and have spare cash. It's just that it's just a side hobby I really enjoy, but I'm not serious enough into drawing to get really high end materials. It's more of something I do when I get an urge, but I do agree the coloring pencils don't cut it quite well enough and markers aren't that expensive.

I picked up the coloring pencils for $14, so I have no problem paying that much or a bit more for markers. Plus I need new pens as I'm just using regular ball point blank ink pens.

Last edited:
I was looking thru some of the other art threads and saw ppl doing comics. I'm not near as good as them, but it got me in the mood to do an anime fight comic. Just tons of ppl from different animes, and some fights I've wanted to see on paper.

I'm taking you guys' advice and coloring with markers. I can't buy any today, so will hold off until I can get to an art store. Looked up those copic markers tho....$350 is just a bit too much for me to spend on markers. I'm sure they're excellent, but I'm more in the market for $20-40 heh.

Anyway, 4 random pages I've inked -

page_1.jpg

page_2.jpg

page_3.jpg

page_4.jpg

Have more done, but no point in posting all of them when I'll just post the entire comic in order when colored, and finished.

In honor of SF4 I wanted to do a Ryu vs. Akuma. Not done coloring yet, but here's the B&W version.

ryu_vs_akuma.png

Sadly my pages are slightly too tall for my scanner, so it cuts off the very top, and leaves a slight dark line. Plus I don't want to rip pages out of it, so it's kinda pain to get scanned heh.

Just finished the colored version.

ryu_vs_akuma_v2.jpg

Edit - Heh, funny, but the scanned version looks grainy where the real life version doesn't. Oh well :). Just look at the black on the black and white pic above, and the black at the same spot on the colored version below. Maybe I should clean my scanners window heh.

Last edited:
Might as well update this with my April contest entry.

watchmen.jpg

I've been watching a series of how to draw anime deals on Youtube. It's actually been helping me improve a bit. Above that tho the guy who made the videos recommended Black Prisma Color Pencils, love em.

Also bought a cheap graphics tablet, a Wacom Bamboo. Was in the store and it was only $70 so decided why not. It's a big learning curve tho. I sketched the character I had in mind on paper and was happy, and then tried to draw it on the tablet...didn't turn out so well.

ZeroBurst-Cover.jpg

However I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Coloring it in photoshop is a plus even if I didn't add fine touches. While step back might help on mistakes tho, it just doesn't have the same feel. The eyes are much harder to draw details on. Tho the tablet is pressure sensitive on line width, so maybe with time I'll get better with details.

Tho I'm not being down on it. I love the tablet, it's great, just going to take me awhile to get anything close to what I do on paper. Tho I'm sure some of you (since there's so many awesome artists in the fan art section here) have really good $2k+ tablets with LCD screens who can get a close to fine line pencil look.

very cool stuff you've done here, I like your style :)

^ Thanks

Might as well post the two picks I drew and post in this months contest. For future reference the theme was zombies heh.

ZombiePrimevsZombieNinjaTurtles.jpg

UnchartedZombies.jpg

Sheesh, been over a year since I updated this last. I haven't really drawn much in the meantime. Most of the things I've done were started and never completed lol. Anyway, might as well.

An FMA drawing that I'm going to color eventually with photoshop. I drew it mainly to test how the Copic skin color markers worked, but they're a bit too expensive for me atm to get more than a handful considering all the other things I buy as well lol.

FMAHomonculi-Elrics.jpg

This is what I started for the last Hype drawing contest. I believe the theme was Marvel vs DC, and I thought I'd do a joke Hostess spoof. Then I spilled drink on it and gave up lol.

HostessMarvelvsDC.jpg

These two would be from my first unfinished attempt at a fan comic. It was going to be a DBZ vs. Naruto fan comic, that ended with Nappa and Vegeta utterly pwning everyone. Which I never got past half way thru page two lol.

DBZvsNarutoPage1.jpg

DBZvsNarutoPage2.jpg

This would be another unfinished attempt at doing a comic, but with characters and a story I made. I actually intended to do more on it, but lost interest for whatever reason.

Comic1.jpg

Comic2.jpg

Comic3.jpg

This would be a character idea for the post below this.

Brook.jpg

Last edited:
Was getting near that 8 image per post thing (pretty sure there's still a limit on that). If you haven't noticed at this point for whatever reason I want to do a comic, fan or otherwise (just have a kick to do it, but not necessarily the talent heh). So since I got a DS 2 or so months ago and got back into the Pokemon games, I thought better to start small. The Pokemon art style is fairly simple, and gives the comic structure. So this week I did 5 quick pages to test it out, and see if I can use my Bamboo art pad better now.

PMVPage1.jpg

PMVPage2.jpg

PMVPage3.jpg

PMVPage4.jpg

PMVPage5.jpg

That's all I have for now. Hopefully this time I'll stay more focused and actually complete more.

I'm starting to think I've been going around anime drawings all wrong. I've been trying to draw them in styles similar to what you think of when you think of anime. However I never get the detail right, the jawlines, ect, as I've been forcing myself to draw it that way. So I thought from now on I'll just do more along the lines of what I'm comfortable with with what I've learned from drawing anime bit by bit. These aren't anything special, but kinda a first step in trying to draw anime in a style I feel more at ease with. Drew them quick after that hit me this morning after I woke up and wanted to see what worked for me.

Fadinganime-guy1.jpg

Fadinganime-girl1.jpg

I think a lot of it tho was just being lazy. I was in too big of a rush to finish a drawing that I just did simplistic hair, minimal eyebrows and shadows. Obviously I'm still a long way off from anything amazing, but felt good to take a first step and sketch something free hand that felt more natural to me rather than trying to think of what so and so anime's style did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"