• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantastic Four Reboot: The 60s

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
I had this idea when another member mentioned the idea of making a hulk movie set in the 60s, but i think the Fantastic Four could work better in that period.
Now, the Fantasic Four were mentioned in many comics as the first super heroes of the marvel universe (not counting the invaders and others), what if Marvel Studios got the rights back and decided to keep that idea?
It's only a sugestion, Franklin, Sue and Richard's son, could be the main hero shoun in the present, they could make these films in the 60s with Doctor Doom as a main villain in one of the avengers movies.
Also, FF really have that 60s vibe, the supervillain Doctor Doom kinda reminds me of a bond villain, they could make an origin for him being at first a billionaire who wants revenger against richards.
Other things that reming James bond movies are Johny Storm's personality, the gadgets like the Fantastic car and their clothes.
What do you all think?

I think this doesn't warrant a new thread as it could've been said in the other thread (and already has).

I don't care if they set it in the 1800's as long as its not FOX making it.

Even Sue in the early comics looked like a girl from the 60s movies, that's another reason why this could work.

Here's how i think the reboot films should be:
FF1: Mole Man with Doctor Doom as a secondary villain, not being seen and giving Mole Man the technology he needs and both the FF and Mole man are trying to access and control the Negative Zone.
FF2: Namor tricked by Doctor Doom and we see a movie realistic version of Doctor Doom.
FF3: The Galactus invasion with Doc Doom helping stop galactus
F4NTASTIC 4: Doctor Doom uses silver surfers powers to destroy the FF using Anihilus and the N zone

I am all for seeing Doom done right, but I do not want him involved in every FF movie, even if he's just in the background. Some time YEARS went by with no Doom in the FF comics, the other villains should be able to hold their own against the FF with out Doom's assistance.

I am all for seeing Doom done right, but I do not want him involved in every FF movie, even if he's just in the background. Some time YEARS went by with no Doom in the FF comics, the other villains should be able to hold their own against the FF with out Doom's assistance.
Ok, take Doom from the 1st, and 3rd movies, if he appeared in the 2nd one it would be to show some latveria scennes, but he should be in the 4th one.

I mentioned this idea in two other threads, it's really the only way to go IMO.

I think that that if Marvel Studios got the rights back they should really try to make an FF movie set in the 60s

I think it's a really bad idea from a quality stand point, and even more so a worse idea from a guy who wants a F4 franchise, which will not happen if the movie is set in the 60s. Not enough marketability. X-men has built up a lot more grace with movie goers and that barely worked, excellent film, pedestrian box office numbers.

I would just set it in the present. Cameo Reed Richards in Iron Man 3 working with Stark to build hype for the movie and release it in 2014 with a big personality as Johnny Storm and a fantastic actor as Dr. Doom to make an iconic bad guy who is willing to sign a 6 picture deal or something and be in multiple movies. Makes way too much sense

Do you know why First Class didn't make as much money?

It had nothing to do with the 60s setting, it was because X-Men Origins: Wolverine was such a terrible movie, some didn't go watch wolverine because of how bad it was and because of x-3.

Then after Wolverine a lot of people lost hope on the x-men film series, people tought it was going to be terrible because of the previous movie.

It's as simple as that, if you think better the 60s setting has actually become very popular thanks to Mad Men.

Do you know why First Class didn't make as much money?

It had nothing to do with the 60s setting, it was because X-Men Origins: Wolverine was such a terrible movie, some didn't go watch wolverine because of how bad it was and because of x-3.

Then after Wolverine a lot of people lost hope on the x-men film series, people tought it was going to be terrible because of the previous movie.

It's as simple as that, if you think better the 60s setting has actually become very popular thanks to Mad Men.

How is this any different than the previous F4 movies? Two terrible movies, followed by a film set in the 60s....lol they are following the same formula, exactly. The formula for box-office mediocrity and franchise hell

How is this any different than the previous F4 movies? Two terrible movies, followed by a film set in the 60s....lol they are following the same formula, exactly. The formula for box-office mediocrity and franchise hell
But it had and wouldn't have nothing to do with the setting, even if first class was set in the present it would have less people watching, the same goes for fantastic four

as interesting a idea as i may think it is, its rather limiting from a franchise stand point, you can't do any crossovers, they'll have to be careful not establish anything that conflicts with future continuity (assuming marvel has the rights back in this scenario). for one, it wouldn't make sense since tony stark thought he was the first superhero. captain america can get away with that because he was more of a war hero icon than a straight up superhero. but part of the fantastic four is the fact that they are sort of like superhero celebrities, there's no way tony wouldn't have heard of them.

as interesting a idea as i may think it is, its rather limiting from a franchise stand point, you can't do any crossovers, they'll have to be careful not establish anything that conflicts with future continuity (assuming marvel has the rights back in this scenario). for one, it wouldn't make sense since tony stark thought he was the first superhero. captain america can get away with that because he was more of a war hero icon than a straight up superhero. but part of the fantastic four is the fact that they are sort of like superhero celebrities, there's no way tony wouldn't have heard of them.
Since when did Tony think he was the first superhero?
What happened was Nick Fury saying
Do you think you're the only superhero?
Which can also refer to the present, so it wouldn't contradict

But it had and wouldn't have nothing to do with the setting, even if first class was set in the present it would have less people watching, the same goes for fantastic four

It's all about marketability. Johnny Storm is probably after Spider-Man the most relatable superhero in the marvel universe for people ages 16-24. He's cool, adventurous, oozes with charisma everything we love in Tony Stark only this guy is young and hip which adds to his marketability. You put him in the sixties and he is instantly out of touch with the kids who you are trying to market this too.

Again, I think if you set this up by having Reed work with Stark in IM3 you gain instant credibility back that you lost with the first two movies.

I've said Justin Timberlake a lot, but it doesn't have to be him (however I really think he is an elite choice for Storm) but you cast a guy who is super popular, young, hip and a solid actor for Johnny Storm and you make The Thing look really bad ass and you will have a hit

Most importantly however it simply isn't necessary. First Class I can buy into, but it is an unnecessary risk when one isn't needed.

The setting did wonders to the x-men franchise, and it didn't even need that setting, the thing is, FF is the comic book movie that deserves and needs it more.
By the way, don't the observers from Fringe look a lot like the Watchers?
They even have similar functions and i think the watchers could have looked like that if Fringe didn't use it first
Observer%3B+Watcher.jpg

Wasn't the old Michael Chabon treatment set in the 60s?

At it's best this idea represents an unnecessary risk for a franchise that can't afford another mediocre showing at the box office

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"