• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Father of the Bride reboot

I don't understand that term and never use it. What's wrong with Latin? I've always figured Latin or Latin American was fairly neutral.

Also from what I've read, actual Latin and Hispanic people don't like using that word and many don't even know what it is.

Latinx?

I despise that term. As a native Spanish speaker it is pretty damn ridiculous
A Native Spanish speaker? What does that have to do with American words?

I am going to assume you are not non-binary, and thus probably doesn't come up for you. I speak in those circles. It matters to enough people, that I use it when appropriate. Not sure why you would despise a term that you need not use. Though if you do happen to be non-binary, perhaps a little grace for others who might find a bit comfort in it.

It's a white liberal term that was created to be politically correct about something while ignoring the culture of it. It's a solution to a problem that never existed.
I love you Lily. It's not. It is an American term used to be inclusive to non-binary people, women, and us who are a little darker then your average Latin person (like me!). It's not a question of culture, though I really wouldn't go with the various Latin cultures for what would be inclusivity. Cultures drenched in enough transphobia and sexism that it would make American and Britain blush. Still it is not being forced on anyone, and the crying about it seems a lot more like people being grumpy about some young people just trying to be nice to their fellow human beings.

Congrats Lily, you old. :p

And to think, I just came in here because I use to love the old movies.

Last edited:
sources say this will be more in the vein of the original Spencer Tracy pic and not the Steve Martin franchise from the 1990s.

Curious what they mean by that.

I’m more familiar with the 1991 version, but I remember it being fairly close to the Spencer Tracy original other than updating it to the 90s.

Was there something particular from the original that wasn’t in the Steve Martin one?

Spanish where you maybe still has nothing to do with this. It is literally the use of a term of identity, to aid in providing a safe place for Americans to speak to each other. I know this is shocking to people who grew up outside of the Unites States (you said you are a native speaker), but there are Latinx people in the US, who were born here. They are all over the world really. My ancestors from Spain did not stop with the conquering, and the raping and the pillaging with my ancestors from Mexico or other Latin countries. Shocking, I know.

Consider it this way. This is like fighting over the use of the term "woman", and the ridiculous idea that if it applies to all women, including trans women, it some how "breaks language". It doesn't. Just like the phrase "people who menstruate" on medical forms doesn't in English. It is simply about being more inclusive and kind to groups of people who are constantly under attack. Is it clunky? Sure. But progress usually is.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it. No one is making anyone use it. There is literally no reason to get upset about it. And yet, people get so mad.

Cute word choices. I can't imagine why you picked those...

Spanish where you maybe still has nothing to do with this. It is literally the use of a term of identity, to aid in providing a safe place for Americans to speak to each other. I know this is shocking to people who grew up outside of the Unites States (you said you are a native speaker), but there are Latinx people in the US, who were born here. They are all over the world really. My ancestors from Spain did not stop with the conquering, and the raping and the pillaging with my ancestors from Mexico or other Latin countries. Shocking, I know.

Consider it this way. This is like fighting over the use of the term "woman", and the ridiculous idea that if it applies to all women, including trans women, it some how "breaks language". It doesn't. Just like the phrase "people who menstruate" on medical forms doesn't in English. It is simply about being more inclusive and kind to groups of people who are constantly under attack. Is it clunky? Sure. But progress usually is.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it. No one is making anyone use it. There is literally no reason to get upset about it. And yet, people get so mad.
Cool bro

Keep using that term. I’m not stopping you. All I said was that I wasn’t fan and that it makes no sense in the SPANISH language. No need to get upset.

I just feel it makes more sense to use Latino when describing Latin Americans. If Latino non-binary/gender fluid people use it than that's fine. It makes more sense for that use.

There used to be that detective series from the late 60s to the mid 70s called Mannix.

So just a quick apology. It's been brought to my attention that my strong aversion to the use of Latinx as a placeholder for Latino/Latin American came off transphobic and fully ignorant. I do not share these beliefs nor do I endorse them. My basis was in personal experience and not in fact. I myself have seen mostly English-speaking white Americans who do not identify as Latino/Latin American/Latinx use this term, which is the reasoning for my initial stance. I'm not going to ask you to stop using that term in that context if you prefer it. Just know I simply did not see what was wrong with the use of Latino to begin with. If I hurt any Hypester or offended them with such rhetoric, I'm sorry.

Also I'm not the biggest fan of Father of the Bride, so I wasn't sure if I was going to see it.

Certainly looks like a straight to streaming movie lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"