Favorite Series of CBMs?

The Infinity Saga for sure. What it accomplished, likely won't be done again.

If you polled the general public at large, the Infinity Saga would be the winner by a considerable margin. The box office numbers were unprecedented.

Next, I'd go with the Cap Trilogy. It's the only superhero trilogy where all three films were great and built off the previous.

Third, I'd go with the TDK trilogy. BB was awesome and it peaked with TDK. TDKR, however, is a divisive third entry and really just relied on the goodwill of TDK's excellence.

...The most amusing thing about this thread is how every so often, someone makes it blatantly obvious that they're kind of salty about the Infinity Saga coming in at second place on this poll.

I have a top 2 that are neither of the most popular choices. I've enjoyed the MCU and it's had some great films, but I've rarely been all that invested in it. Likewise, I was only really attached Nolan's trilogy for The Dark Knight, so I don't rate it much as a series.

Voting 'Spider-Man' trilogy for my love of its tone and energy. 2 great films that feel like comic books come to life. A third that is messy but still good when good and so bizarre and fearless when it is bad that I enjoy it then too. If I had to pick one series and discard the rest, I'd stick with Sam Raimi.

Second is that bipolar Fox X-Men franchise. Technically this series spawned more films that I like than Raimi's trilogy, but it also dropped a lot of duds along the way. Being a fan of this was definitely the wilder ride, and the better story. What a continuity clusterf**k it all was. As Disney gradually achieve world domination and drown us all in unwavering competence, I do start to miss the approach that risks failure in reach of greatness.

The Dark Knight Trilogy all the way. Personally I would probably rate the Infinity Saga fourth or fifth.

The Infinity Saga for sure. What it accomplished, likely won't be done again.

If you polled the general public at large, the Infinity Saga would be the winner by a considerable margin. The box office numbers were unprecedented.

Next, I'd go with the Cap Trilogy. It's the only superhero trilogy where all three films were great and built off the previous.

Third, I'd go with the TDK trilogy. BB was awesome and it peaked with TDK. TDKR, however, is a divisive third entry and really just relied on the goodwill of TDK's excellence.

TDK Trilogy: "Hold my Beer"

TDK Trilogy: "Hold my Beer"

I get why some on the SHH would prefer it.

Would make an interesting poll to have the Nolan TDK Trilogy VS The Russos Quadrilogy (WS, CW, IW, and EG)... and poll the general audience on that.

I'd venture a guess you'd have Zoomers and Gen Alphas voting quite differently than some Millennials.

I get why some on the SHH would prefer it.

Would make an interesting poll to have the Nolan TDK Trilogy VS The Russos Quadrilogy (WS, CW, IW, and EG)... and poll the general audience on that.

I'd venture a guess you'd have Zoomers and Gen Alphas voting quite differently than some Millennials.
It's still a random matchup since the TDK trilogy is one solid story with a beginning, middle and end and the Russo films would be missing large chunks of the story, like Iron Man, Avengers, and Ragnarok to name a few.

Even though the MCU is my favorite superhero series, the TDK trilogy is for my money the best superhero trilogy ever made and probably will be for quite some time. The only other trilogies it's really competing with are the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy and maybe Snyder's DCEU trilogy (MOS, BvS, ZSJL). Iron Man 1-3 is technically a trilogy but I don't really consider it to be one because the character's arc is explored and concluded in other films, same with Captain America although there is another film planned with Anthony Mackie in the role so that's soon to be a quadrilogy anyway.

There are no hard-fast rules about what's considered a true trilogy or quadrilogy.
It's all arbitrary.

One can watch the 4 Russo films as a through-line narrative without missing much.

It's going to get even more vague with the Reeves Batman trilogy having connections to streaming spinoffs, and possible film spinoffs.

There are no hard-fast rules about what's considered a true trilogy or quadrilogy.
It's all arbitrary.

One can watch the 4 Russo films as a through-line narrative without missing much.

It's going to get even more vague with the Reeves Batman trilogy having connections to streaming spinoffs, and possible film spinoffs.

Except that if you only watched those movies you'd have no idea who Thor, the GOTG or Doctor Strange are...

Not necessarily.

If you look at the box office for IW (2B) and Endgame (2B), clearly there was a significant chunk of the moviegoing audience that didn't see Thor, GoTG or Strange theatrically.

The Russo films were quite accessible to those who haven't been following the MCU religiously. Not an easy task to pull off, but numbers show that they did it.

Not necessarily.

If you look at the box office for IW (2B) and Endgame (2B), clearly there was a significant chunk of the moviegoing audience that didn't see Thor, GoTG or Strange theatrically.

The Russo films were quite accessible to those who haven't been following the MCU religiously. Not an easy task to pull off, but numbers show that they did it.

The problem is that none of these flicks really stand on their own. You can never just watch one because there's always some other one you need to see first in order to understand what the hell is going on.

OT: TDK trilogy and it isn't even close. The only one to truly transcend the genre and to have endless replay value.

If I had to rank them:

1. The Dark Knight Trilogy
  2. The Spider-Man Trilogy
  3. The Original X-Men Trilogy & DOFP
  4. Zack Snyder's DCEU Trilogy
  5. The Superman Quadrilogy
  6. The Batman Quadrilogy
  7. The Captain America Trilogy
  8. The Infinity Saga

Not necessarily.

Still, just because they didn't see them in theaters doesn't mean they didn't see them at all. I'm sure that there are a ton of people out there who only watched the Avengers movies in theaters and caught up with the rest of the MCU at home.

Some did, for sure. But that's a massive disparity between the smaller box office returns of those specific films, and the earth-shattering BO for IW and EG.

You conceivably had people turning out for those films that were drawn into the fact that they were massive event films and cultural phenomenons. The closest proxy in our generation to what Star Wars 77 was in the late 70s.

Infinity War does a good job re-introducing us to characters you may not have seen in previous films with all the necessary information we need to make contextual sense of them in IW itself. Thor explains his backstory, Gamora explains her backstory, the events of Civil War are explained to Banner, Strange introduces himself to Tony etc.. It was all made to be easy to access for the average joe. A difficult task for such a huge film, but they pulled it off.

I suspect Marcus and McFeely had a huge white board for this.

ASM series should be up here since to me that is still the better of the Spider-Man films.

Last edited:
X-Men
X-Men United
X-Men The Last Stand
X-Men Days of Future Past

X-Men ot cast rocked my world!

Blade should be up there too. That series was nearly flawless until the third one.

1. The Dark Knight Trilogy
2. Captain America Trilogy
3. The Infinity Saga
4. Sam Raimi Spider-Man series

I'd say that my personal favorites would be; The Infinity Saga, The Dark Knight trilogy and Captain America trilogy.

Raimi's trilogy would be up there, but the third movie was very disappointing despite the first two being great.

Close between Infinity Saga, Cap Trilogy, and Dark Knight trilogy. In the end, The Dark Knight trilogy has the Dark Knight Rises so I'd say a tie between the Avengers movies and Cap movies.

By Infinity Saga, do we mean the entirety of the MCU up to Endgame??

because, yeah, that one then

but if we’re talking just the Avengers films, then I’d put Cap at number 1, with TDK being a close second, and Avengers third, then followed by Iron Man as the honorable mention

Close between Infinity Saga, Cap Trilogy, and Dark Knight trilogy. In the end, The Dark Knight trilogy has the Dark Knight Rises so I'd say a tie between the Avengers movies and Cap movies.

If Captain America: The First Avenger and Age of Ultron don't drag down their respective film series than neither does Rises (especially considering it's easily superior to both of them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"