• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First Screenshot of Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition!

This game looks much better than Legends. I enjoyed Legends, but it was too short and too easy.

Playing the demo with mods is so much fun! :D Theres one that disables blackouts, so you get to see the deaths much clearer! Plus, the modded outfits are awesome! :up:

Playing the demo with mods is so much fun! :D Theres one that disables blackouts, so you get to see the deaths much clearer! Plus, the modded outfits are awesome! :up:
I havent used any mods yet, but I will check them out.

I just finished beating the Tomb of Qualopec in the original and I remember hating that level. Now up to St. Francis Folly

St. Francis Folly is one of the best levels from the original. :up: It's among my favorites. Although, I've distanced myself from the original ever since last year when the trailer for Core's version of AE was leaked. I'm trying to keep the experience as fresh as I possibly can, but I don't know how that's gonna happen seeing as how I'm looking at every spoiler I can find. :( I've already seen clips(not the whole thing) of the final battle with Natla, ending of Sanctuary of the Scion, and the "Evolution's in a rut" cutscene. I can't stop myself from clicking them, but I can stop myself from watching the entire thing.

St. Francis Folly is one of the best levels from the original. :up: It's among my favorites. Although, I've distanced myself from the original ever since last year when the trailer for Core's version of AE was leaked. I'm trying to keep the experience as fresh as I possibly can, but I don't know how that's gonna happen seeing as how I'm looking at every spoiler I can find. :( I've already seen clips(not the whole thing) of the final battle with Natla, ending of Sanctuary of the Scion, and the "Evolution's in a rut" cutscene. I can't stop myself from clicking them, but I can stop myself from watching the entire thing.
All those jumps in that level are a killer. I cant tell you how many times Ive died from falling.

I didnt know how I should have approached the game. I could have done like you and avoided it to keep it fresh but Im really interested in seeing the changes that were made as I havened touched this in 10 years and I know if I play through TRA first, that it will be hard to go back and touch the original. so Im tackling the original levels first. It helps that CD completely redid the game and its not a carbon copy like the MGS remake was, so while the story may not be fresh, the gameplay experience will be

First review is in. IGN gave it an 8.7! Here's the rundown

8.5 Presentation
There’s little in the way of cut-scenes and fancy menu screens – but the game itself looks incredible on PS2.

9.0 Graphics
The complex tombs, forests and pyramids are vast, detailed and solid. Only the very occasional glitchy camera or movement spoils the illusion.

8.5 Sound
Tough to score too high as there’s little sound used. But less is more in this case, and when a new area triggers a few seconds of orchestral music, it sends a shiver down the spine.

8.5 Gameplay
Simple but sublime platforming and exploration with clever puzzles. Doesn’t quite maintain the quality towards the end though.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Complicated puzzles make it tough to complete, but even when you’ve solved the last of them, there’s reason to go back and replay levels in the shape of time bonuses and secret artefacts.

Read the IGN review, and I'm happy.

I'm glad that, judging from the review, they've made a challenging Tomb Raider game. Legends was too easy. I mean, what is it with games these days? If the path isn't completely obvious in a game, its always pointed out to you somehow. But Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition looks to bring back proper exploration. Finding pads, keys, levers, no clear path, dangerous jumps and classic platforming, etc. A good game should be challenging. People forget that these days.

Link? :)

Scores are solid if not spectacular. :up:

Read the IGN review, and I'm happy.

I'm glad that, judging from the review, they've made a challenging Tomb Raider game. Legends was too easy. I mean, what is it with games these days? If the path isn't completely obvious in a game, its always pointed out to you somehow. But Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition looks to bring back proper exploration. Finding pads, keys, levers, no clear path, dangerous jumps and classic platforming, etc. A good game should be challenging.People forget that these days.
Agreed, most games nowadays are designed for ADD sufferers and way too linear. I mean I got annoyed with certain levels in previous Tomb Raider games after getting lost for hours etc but the reward on completing a level is that much greater. Ideally I'd like a level of free exploration somewhere in between with maybe a little more (and slightly better) action set pieces.

Umm....check out these wolves...

4looz0p.jpg

ROFLMAO!

lol..thats why teh wolves arent paying attention to Lara

Anyone here from Europe who has the game? :D

So I got the game yesterday. I'm in St. Francis Folly. Really enjoying the game. The level design is ALOT better than what it was in Legends. There is ALOT of platforming goodness, that along with puzzle solving and expploration is the games' focus. The locations look beautiful. Not quite next gen, like alot of the grass and leafs and stuff like that just look flat and bland. But there are some nice effects. Her mansion was alot of fun. I "beat" the mansion, but still have yet to uncover two secret items in it. The "rage dodge" thing makes the action more exciting. If you haven't heard of this "rage dodge", its a cool feature. Say you're fighting a bear, or an ape, or something big like that. Or even wolves. They sorta shake their head in a rage, which means you know you can pull off a rage dodge. They charge you, and you have to wait for the right moment to dodge them, and if you do it at the right moment, everything goes slow mo, and you have the opportunity to pull off a head shot, which kills the beast instantly. Great fun.

Is my memory foggy or what? In the original Tomb Raider game, I could swear it took like a kazillion bullets to kill anything. Bears and apes or whatever seem to go down fairly easily in this new game.

Fighting the T-Rex was alot of fun.

There are a couple of odd glitches. Nothing big, but still kinda odd. Like in the mansion, I opened the door and whole room turned blue for like 5 seconds. The animal AI is sometimes stupid, and the animals run into objects, leaving you free to blast away at them with no danger. A couple of inaminate objects, such as a rock on the cieling, keeps turning see through. Nothing major, doesn't happen alot. And the camera angle sometimes pisses me off.

So I got the game yesterday. I'm in St. Francis Folly. Really enjoying the game. The level design is ALOT better than what it was in Legends. There is ALOT of platforming goodness, that along with puzzle solving and expploration is the games' focus. The locations look beautiful. Not quite next gen, like alot of the grass and leafs and stuff like that just look flat and bland. But there are some nice effects. Her mansion was alot of fun. I "beat" the mansion, but still have yet to uncover two secret items in it. The "rage dodge" thing makes the action more exciting. If you haven't heard of this "rage dodge", its a cool feature. Say you're fighting a bear, or an ape, or something big like that. Or even wolves. They sorta shake their head in a rage, which means you know you can pull off a rage dodge. They charge you, and you have to wait for the right moment to dodge them, and if you do it at the right moment, everything goes slow mo, and you have the opportunity to pull off a head shot, which kills the beast instantly. Great fun.

Is my memory foggy or what? In the original Tomb Raider game, I could swear it took like a kazillion bullets to kill anything. Bears and apes or whatever seem to go down fairly easily in this new game.

Fighting the T-Rex was alot of fun.

There are a couple of odd glitches. Nothing big, but still kinda odd. Like in the mansion, I opened the door and whole room turned blue for like 5 seconds. The animal AI is sometimes stupid, and the animals run into objects, leaving you free to blast away at them with no danger. A couple of inaminate objects, such as a rock on the cieling, keeps turning see through. Nothing major, doesn't happen alot. And the camera angle sometimes pisses me off.

Yeah, the enemy AI and camera are one of the few things that are complained about. But, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, though! I can't wait to get my hands on it this Tuesday! :D

YEAH I HAVE THE DEMO, IT'S AWESOME, I'M PICKING UP THE FULL GAME TOMORROW!!!:D:up:

This game looks like it could be a fun revisit, and I look forward to it. However, I personally hope that Eidos doesn't carry it over to Xbox 360 and PS3, because I would rather they focus on developing the sequel to TR Legend as a true next-generation incarnation of TR. Crystal Dynamics are gonna be having some very stiff competition from Naughty Dog with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, that's for sure!

This game looks like it could be a fun revisit, and I look forward to it. However, I personally hope that Eidos doesn't carry it over to Xbox 360 and PS3, because I would rather they focus on developing the sequel to TR Legend as a true next-generation incarnation of TR. Crystal Dynamics are gonna be having some very stiff competition from Naughty Dog with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, that's for sure!
IA and I hope Eidos doesnt pressure them to release a TR game every year like with Core bc that only led to disaster

Yup. Annual releases are a surefire way to kill a good franchise early. It happened to Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, and Splinter Cell. Let's hope that Eidos doesn't fall into their old mistakes with the revived Tomb Raider.

The administrator at tombraiderforums is making a lot of hints toward a 360 version of the game, he's got connections with Eidos. Personally, I couldn't be happier. :D Porting it to next-gen won't be that hard either. Anniversary uses a lot of recycled material from Legend and the PC(original) textures are already high-res, sharp and crisp. All they'd really have to do is take the NG textures from NG Legend and use them with the original high-res textures from Anniversary. That won't take up much of Crystal's time or effort.

BTW, I don't think U:DF looks all that great. It looks too much like clay-dough or plasticy or something... =/

It seems like they took some levels and combined them into one. Like the Cistern and Tomb Of Tihocan.

Still hoping they decide to remake 2 and 3. Can you imagine playing through Rome or the sunken ship levels with these graphics and gameplay?

If this is what "clay dough" looks like when it moves, then I wish more games looked like "clay dough." ;)

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlmbrd24T4[/YT]

93298420070516screen002uj1.jpg

93298420070516screen003sg1.jpg

93298420070516screen001ny1.jpg

What game is that? It looks pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"