Playstation Forspoken

Reaction score
Designed for PS5, PROJECT ATHIA will harness the full power of the console and demonstrates Luminous Productions’ philosophy to provide a gaming experience like never before, fusing together the latest technology with art.

PROJECT ATHIA will transport players to a world filled with beauty and dismay as they set upon a thrilling story-led, action-packed adventure which can be twisted, tempestuous and forbidding.”

Project Athia Developer Luminous Productions Reveals Impressive World Editor in New Video

That game engine is Wow wow wow, and it will get better in the future.

1500x500

Project Athia's Official Title Will Be Forspoken - Siliconera (announcement video + new footage)

As speculated upon ever since Athia's announcement and now confirmed, actress Ella Balinska is playing the lead character Frey.

SQUARE ENIX And Luminous Productions Unveil 'Forspoken'
Originally Teased as PROJECT ATHIA, The New Narrative-Driven Adventure Set in a Beautiful Yet Cruel World will be Released in 2022

Actor Ella Balinska to Star in the Game as Lead Character, Frey Holland

LOS ANGELES, March 18, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- During the SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS digital-showcase event, SQUARE ENIX announced Forspoken™, the debut title from its newly established studio, Luminous Productions. Originally revealed as PROJECT ATHIA last year, Forspoken puts players in the shoes of Frey Holland, an ordinary young woman who must harness her magical abilities to survive in a fantastical and dangerous land called Athia.

As a part of today's show, the team announced that the game's protagonist, Frey, will be performed by Ella Balinska, best known for her starring role in the 2019 film, Charlie's Angels.

View the new "Forspoken – Official Title Announcement" trailer here: https://youtu.be/J_3fndPnBmQ.

"As the first video game I've worked on, and growing up a huge fan of video games myself, it's remarkable to see the incredible world and story of Forspoken come together, blurring the lines between reality and fantasy," said Balinska. "Frey as a character is real, she's raw, she's a girl who lost her way—both figuratively and literally—and is a character I immediately connected with, as I feel many people around the world will too when they set off on this adventure."

Frey takes center stage in Forspoken, exploring an unknown world and facing treacherous trials to unravel the mystery behind Athia. SQUARE ENIX also teased new Forspoken gameplay to give players a glimpse at the magical and perilous journey ahead.

Designed for the PlayStation®5 console (PS5™), Forspoken will harness the full power of the console and demonstrate Luminous Productions' philosophy to provide a gaming experience like never before, fusing together the latest technology with creativity. The game is being developed simultaneously for the PS5™ and PC and is set for release in 2022. This title is not yet rated by the ESRB.

To learn more about Forspoken, visit: www.forspoken.com.

SQUARE ENIX And Luminous Productions Unveil 'Forspoken' (press release)

Last edited:

forspoke defininition said:
1. to attract and fascinate; enchant. 2. to cast a spell over. Collins English Dictionary.

Witch Chapter Zero [Cry] tech demo was Agni's Philosophy.

2012: Agni's Philosophy technical demonstration trailer:

Agni was a Witch

2015: Witch Chapter Zero [Cry] tech demo, presented by Luminous Productions' Hajime Tabata:

2020: Project Athia teaser:

I wonder if...

Frey was actually born in that 'another world' and only now has come back to it. That's why she's an 'ordinary girl' with magic powers? Then again it could come from the 'witch' Frey using potions alone like Agni in the old demo or the gold bracers on the arm(s).

Last edited:
GameSpot - Square Enix's Forspoken Gets Gorgeous Extended Trailer

GameRant - The Evolution of Forspoken: From Final Fantasy 15 to Project Athia

GameRant - Forspoken (Project Athia) - Who is Frey Talking To?

TechRaptor - Brandon Sanderson Working On Game For "Fairly Large Developer" (2020)

I wonder if this is the game author Brandon Sanderson contributed lore to? It also reminds me a little of his Mistborn books and sometimes sentient talking objects appear in his books. If not we'll just have to wait to find out what the other game is.

If Sanderson is working on a game I'd rather it be set in his Cosmere universe. It's so massive and wildly different from one planet to the next which makes it a perfect setting for a long running game franchise.

Bit too much talking in the trailer like that Final Fantasy Origin trailer but looks like it has potential.

GamesRadar - Forspoken writer Gary Whitta on building its "lustrous new fantasy world"

"We wound up bringing together an incredibly diverse and talented group of writers from across the fields of film, television, video games, and fantasy literature, to really dive deep into this world and build it out in far greater detail," Whitta adds. "There were some really impressive names in that room that haven’t been announced yet, but I suspect you’ll be hearing more about that as we get closer to release."

Everything for this looks great. Can't wait to play it.

Forspoken hands-off previews, gameplay, and screenshots - Gematsu

Finally! They show you how the game actually plays in these in-game development videos. It's been all story and HUD-less demos until now. I hope the Final Fantasy XV team learned their lesson and this turns out better. The city already looks better than anything in FFXV and the combat as Freya fights as a long-range mage looks respectable enough. They still have some work to do on the technical side as the FFXV engine that the game runs on has never been as good as the amount of money Square has invested in it.

GamesRadar - Forspoken puts magic at the center of everything, from combat to exploration

IGN - Forspoken: Hands-Off Preview - IGN

Yahoo! - Square Enix’s ‘Forspoken’ mixes magical parkour with an unforgiving world

Last edited:
Is it just me or does this game look super last gen? That hazy draw distance :S

The difference in quality between those recent demos and the teaser from March is... Stark.

Like a lot games when a company first shows a game off they have it running on the most powerful PC available to them and then they struggle to get it to run on actual console hardware.

The engine running the game looks pretty much like a slightly better FFXV running on the PS4 did in 2016 now as it is the same engine from the same team. Perhaps they’ve decided to cross-gen release the game on PS4 as well at some point.

Like a lot games when a company first shows a game off they have it running on the most powerful PC available to them and then they struggle to get it to run on actual console hardware.

The engine running the game looks pretty much like a slightly better FFXV running on the PS4 did in 2016 now as it is the same engine from the same team. Perhaps they’ve decided to cross-gen release the game on PS4 as well at some point.

Given the slow sales of PS5s, that would make sense, *if* they can account for it early enough in the development process.

Is it just me or does this game look super last gen? That hazy draw distance :S

The difference in quality between those recent demos and the teaser from March is... Stark.
Glad its not just me that noticed this. I haven't seen a downgrade this severe since Watchdogs 1. It may even surpass Watchdogs 1's downgrade.

Forspoken - ESRB

Rated M for Mature
Strong Language
Violence
In-Game Purchases (PC, PlayStation 5)

Rating Summary

This is an action role-playing game in which player assume the role of a woman (Frey) who finds herself teleported to a fantasy world. As players try to find their way home, they can explore and traverse terrain, interact with characters, and battle fantastical creatures. Players use a magical vambrace and other attacks (e.g., leach, disperse, tendril) to defeat zombie-like creatures and monsters in frenetic combat. Battles are accompanied by colorful effects, screen-shaking, and cries of pain.
Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a character attempting to jump off a building; monsters killing civilians; a character held at gunpoint.
The words "****" and "****" are heard in the game.

This game looks real good and the gameplay reminds me of infamous if reviews are good I’ll probably pick it up when it’s on sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"