Frank Miller needs an "intervention"

He tried to stop himself. Didn't work, apparently.

As for the thread title...What kind of "intervention" are we talking about here? :hehe:

OK, I admit I liked the trailers for The Spirit. At least the teaser or whatever. But the reviews have been so appaling that I can't help but find myself saying that "The Spirit WILL suck. HARD." It seems inevitable. Very rarely do I love a movie EVERYONE who has seen has hated. And yeah, it could become part of my "Trash I love" series of movies but, you know...The writing's on the wall... :o

I am open minded. Very. And I will see the movie if I have the chance. But I have a bad feeling about this... :hehe:

Well that movie isn't coming to my country until January. Until then I'm reserving judgement.

P.S. I'm dying to watch ***** Slap!

I usually enjoy your posts, but i have to disagree with this, and the whole "go see the movie" ideal.

Just because it's a satire that doesn't take itself seriously doesn't mean it's GOOD. Alot of people have admitted to knowing that All Star Batman is a parody and still think it's awful. Crap writing is crap writing, regardless of what its supposed to be. I personally like it, despite having big problems with the writing on occasion and i still hate Jim Lee's artwork.

And with The Spirit, I've seen all the trailers and read all the interviews I could find. And ya know what? I can safely say the film looks and sounds awful. That's why we have trailers, to judge a film and decide whether or not we want to see the movie. I've decided not to see the movie. I really hate the whole "go see the movie!" argument. If a film looks awful, i'm not going to see it.

I do agree that condemning the man might be wrong, but i don't think Frank Miller is the only guy who make an awesome Buck Rodgers movie, and even from reading all of Frank Miller's work, i don't think he's the right guy at all. I don't think it'll be awesome either if he makes it. We'll see i suppose, but I'm not keeping the faith with it.

Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine. And yeah, I don't care for Lee's artwork either. But it strangely fits the tone Miller's going for. It's funny. I like it. If someone else doesn't that's cool. But what gets me is that they hate it and not knowing about it being a satire.

But I don't think Sarge could of said it better. Give the movie a chance. Rent it on DVD or something. Be open minded, and try to enjoy yourself. If you don't like it, that's fine. But as long as you have a valid reason why. I can see what your saying though about trailers. There are movies, ie, horror films, that are bad from the trailers because well, it's bad all the way through. But I think the Spirit will either A. be bad B. Be better than what people thought, surpising them C. Be a guilty pleasure.

It will probably wind up being any of those three. This isn't directed at you, but I think it looks pretty decent and people shouldn't condemn Miller because of his past work based on this film. Didn't Eisner say go crazy with your own vision?

Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine. And yeah, I don't care for Lee's artwork either. But it strangely fits the tone Miller's going for. It's funny. I like it. If someone else doesn't that's cool. But what gets me is that they hate it and not knowing about it being a satire.

But I don't think Sarge could of said it better. Give the movie a chance. Rent it on DVD or something. Be open minded, and try to enjoy yourself. If you don't like it, that's fine. But as long as you have a valid reason why. I can see what your saying though about trailers. There are movies, ie, horror films, that are bad from the trailers because well, it's bad all the way through. But I think the Spirit will either A. be bad B. Be better than what people thought, surpising them C. Be a guilty pleasure.

It will probably wind up being any of those three. This isn't directed at you, but I think it looks pretty decent and people shouldn't condemn Miller because of his past work based on this film. Didn't Eisner say go crazy with your own vision?

Well, was All Star Batman ever officially considered a satire? I always seemed to think people just considered it that just to justify what it was they were reading. It's a fun read, but i understand why people don't like it.

But with The Spirit, i just really don't have any interest in seeing it. It doesn't appeal to me. Despite Eisner saying "go crazy", i'd like to imagine he didn't mean this crazy. There's a different between having respect and going crazy. It's not in tune with The Spirit that i know and love. And that turns me off, just like Shumacher's Batman wasn't in tune with the Batman that we enjoy. It just doesn't feel like The Spirit, and the interviews i've read, and the trailers i've seen back my opinion. Point is, i just have no real interest in seeing it. I MAY see it for free(god bless optimum rewards), but it's not a priority of mine to do so. I'll still go see Sin City 2 when that comes out, and i'll still continue to give Frank Miller 3 bucks once every 2 years for All Star Batman and i'll pay the 25 bucks for Holy Terror Batman. I just feel that Frank Miller has done something to the Spirit that doesn't spark an interest with me, unlike his Batman work.

Well, was All Star Batman ever officially considered a satire? I always seemed to think people just considered it that just to justify what it was they were reading. It's a fun read, but i understand why people don't like it.

But with The Spirit, i just really don't have any interest in seeing it. It doesn't appeal to me. Despite Eisner saying "go crazy", i'd like to imagine he didn't mean this crazy. There's a different between having respect and going crazy. It's not in tune with The Spirit that i know and love. And that turns me off, just like Shumacher's Batman wasn't in tune with the Batman that we enjoy. It just doesn't feel like The Spirit, and the interviews i've read, and the trailers i've seen back my opinion. Point is, i just have no real interest in seeing it. I MAY see it for free(god bless optimum rewards), but it's not a priority of mine to do so. I'll still go see Sin City 2 when that comes out, and i'll still continue to give Frank Miller 3 bucks once every 2 years for All Star Batman and i'll pay the 25 bucks for Holy Terror Batman. I just feel that Frank Miller has done something to the Spirit that doesn't spark an interest with me, unlike his Batman work.

Well, that's fine. To each his own. But eventually, I think you might have the curiousity to watch it. Years from now maybe or when it comes out ofn DVD. As a fan, I think you'll watch it eventually. Batman fans saw B&R, you'll probably see this.

You know, the way some of you continuously insist on b*tching about Miller for the sake of b*tching about him makes me think that you WANT him to continue directing films...lest you have nothing to b*tch about...

The man has an astheatic...since when, in as creative-based an industry as filmmaking or comic books, is that a crime?

Miller's material has been in the same vein for nearly the entirety of his career. It's weird how the exact ideology that he's taking to 'The Spirit' is the same as the one he brought to 'Batman' in 1986...but while people went mad for 'TDKR' calling it a seminal work, they're simultaneously panning 'The Spirit' calling it trash.

It's not a matter of Miller changing...clearly it's the audience that's changed.

Not really. His draft of RoboCop 2 was drastically altered in ways that he did not like. And RoboCop 3 was the way it was because Orion bent over for media watchdog groups and rushed.

his script for ROBOCOP 2 was WORSE then the final one. They hired Walon Green to fix his mess, but he didn't have much time.

Haven't you heard? B&R is the prerequisite for joining the Batman fandom. :oldrazz:

Indeed. Like I said, you're missing a ton of great humor over at the Bat boards.

Just got back from "The Spirit" [NOTE: Lite Spoilers ahead]

And all of the nay sayers calling this film 'a train wreck' or 'terrible' are overreactive babies.

Is the film of "The Dark Knight" standards? No.

But it's not like it tries to be.

It was fun and the most visually exciting Comic Book film I've seen in years. Some of the humor falls a tad flat, sure...but Bill Pope's cinematography more than makes up for it.

I've also heard people b*tch about how much that photocopy of Mendes' ass is shown...ummm...it wasn't that much at all..

The writing was fine, the film looked great and all of you who went on and on and on and on about "The Spirit" being a horrible film just need to shut up now.

CFE rating - 4/5

i agree CFE. The movie was fun and very enjoyable.

sometimes the scene looks really Eisner-esque and other times it looks like it came out of a Miller panel.

7/10

All Star Batman is a satire. Meant to be that way. Do you actually think he's taking himself seriously? Anyone who doesn't see that is close minded. What the hell do you expect out of it? It's gonna get serious? It's not. It was always meant to be like that.

Sometimes it seems fanboys need an intervention when it comes to these things.
********. It was NOT always meant to be a satire. The All-Star Imprint was created to, and I quote, "tell stories that feature 'the most iconic versions of these characters'." The iconic version of Batman is NOT one that ****s around with Black Canary, ***** slaps Robin and calls himself the 'goddamn Batman'. It may have since fallen into the realm of satire, but that was not the original intent from either DC Comics or Frank Miller (as Frank has said its in continuity with B:YO, DKR and DKSA none of which are satire, downright bad in the case of DKSA, yes, satire, no.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"