Frank Miller needs an "intervention"

Trailer's are made for the exact purpose of prejudging a movie. For the most part people have referenced the trailer or used the phrase "looks bad." You cant use the wait and see approach for every movie out there

I think if The Spirit tanks, the studios will be less likely to give him new directorial gigs. Even though both Sin City and 300 became a hit, and he did the graphic novels, the films' success had less to do with Miller than with their respective directors (yes, I know Rodridgez let him direct parts of Sin City). IMO he shouldn't be given Buck Rogers to direct, because he'll give it the Sin City treatment like he did with The Spirit.

these people might just ***** about not getting the movie they wanted but all you do is ***** about every last thing people say

( and yeah i know i'm being hippocritical in that statment)

but after everything people say someone else comes on to tell them "to open their mind" like they themselves are so enlightened. all these people are saying is that these projects are better left in better hands, and true they haven't actually seen the spirit, but its not too hard to see where miller goes with things, his works becomeing more and more imbecilic, (Allstar Batman anyone?)

People just say its his style, but if self-indulgent,dark-for-sake-of-dark, poorly dilouged material is his style now, then yes i for one would prefer him stay away from certain projects and let someone else do it.

All Star Batman is a satire. Meant to be that way. Do you actually think he's taking himself seriously? Anyone who doesn't see that is close minded. What the hell do you expect out of it? It's gonna get serious? It's not. It was always meant to be like that.

Sometimes it seems fanboys need an intervention when it comes to these things.

So because someone doesn't swallow whatever a comic book writer does, they're close-minded?

God forbid people actually buy something that they enjoy, and avoid stuff that they don't

The nerds don't like it, the nerds don't have to swallow anything.
That's not the point here.
The point is this "Let's judge and condemn the film before actually watching it (and let's also hate the director and hope he never works again)" thing has got to stop.
It is beyond annoying.

All Star Batman is a satire. Meant to be that way. Do you actually think he's taking himself seriously? Anyone who doesn't see that is close minded. What the hell do you expect out of it? It's gonna get serious? It's not. It was always meant to be like that.

Sometimes it seems fanboys need an intervention when it comes to these things.

I usually enjoy your posts, but i have to disagree with this, and the whole "go see the movie" ideal.

Just because it's a satire that doesn't take itself seriously doesn't mean it's GOOD. Alot of people have admitted to knowing that All Star Batman is a parody and still think it's awful. Crap writing is crap writing, regardless of what its supposed to be. I personally like it, despite having big problems with the writing on occasion and i still hate Jim Lee's artwork.

And with The Spirit, I've seen all the trailers and read all the interviews I could find. And ya know what? I can safely say the film looks and sounds awful. That's why we have trailers, to judge a film and decide whether or not we want to see the movie. I've decided not to see the movie. I really hate the whole "go see the movie!" argument. If a film looks awful, i'm not going to see it.

I do agree that condemning the man might be wrong, but i don't think Frank Miller is the only guy who make an awesome Buck Rodgers movie, and even from reading all of Frank Miller's work, i don't think he's the right guy at all. I don't think it'll be awesome either if he makes it. We'll see i suppose, but I'm not keeping the faith with it.

블라스;16158012 said:
The nerds don't like it, the nerds don't have to swallow anything.
That's not the point here.
The point is this "Let's judge and condemn the film before actually watching it (and let's also hate the director and hope he never works again)" thing has got to stop.
It is beyond annoying.

It happens all the time. Movies, tv shows, video games, etc.

Besides, movie trailers are made for people to specifically judge the film (if it's something they want to see or not)

The thing about trailers is that they almost never properly represent the film itself. They're deceiving and your interest in a film shouldn't depend on the trailer. Gene Siskel used to walk out of the theater during the trailers for this very reason; trailers for comedies spoil the best jokes, and oftentimes the end of the movie itself will be in trailers. Especially ones for movies with plot twists.

I'm certainly not going to spend money on something that failed to grab my interest

I didn't say you should.

I said that the trailers shouldn't be what you base your interest level on because 99.9% of the time trailers are in some way deceptive or unreliable.

So why do the studios waste money on something "deceptive or unreliable"

So they can mislead people in to seeing the movie. Duh. :huh:

People SHOULDN'T rely on trailers but for the most part they do. Which is why the studios make them.

So instead people should rely on the word of others?

They should rely on what they know about the director, the cast, the films subject, etc. to gauge their interest in a film. Sometimes even a film that has an uninteresting trailer turns out to be excellent. I think that gauging your interest in a film based on the trailer will more often than not lead to disappointment.

I've not been disappointed in any of my choices I've made about what movies I saw or not based on the trailer

They should rely on what they know about the director, the cast, the films subject, etc. to gauge their interest in a film. Sometimes even a film that has an uninteresting trailer turns out to be excellent. I think that gauging your interest in a film based on the trailer will more often than not lead to disappointment.

This is true. You should never base seeing or not seeing a certain film solely on its trailer, but it should certainly get you pumped up for the movie.

Normally, I wouldn't go so far as to piss all over a comic book legend like Miller, but his recent string of bad creative decisions puts him on par with George W's entire political legacy. Miller's done genius things with Batman back in the 80's, no question, but his track record with all other creative properties that he hasn't created himself, has been nothing short of dismal(Robocop 2 and 3, anyone?). It stands to reason that The Spirit film is gonna suck it harder than a stripper sucking a golf ball through garden hose. And, to add insult to incest, he's planning to tackle another classic pulp hero, Buck Rogers. I know, Miller's a nutty fellow by nature, but this has to be stopped quickly. If the man was within his right mind, he'd be pooling every shred of energy into doing "Sin City 2" and nothing else. Is there ANY doubt about that?

-so sayeth the mastermind-

Nobody has tried stopping Uwe Boll from making films. Why should anybody try to stop Miller?

This is true. You should never base seeing or not seeing a certain film solely on its trailer, but it should certainly get you pumped up for the movie.
I'm not saying that I've never enjoyed a trailer either. For example, the Star Trek trailer was awesome, but it in no way effected my interest in the movie, which was cemented through its director and cast. I'd still want to see the movie even if the trailer sucked.

Nobody has tried stopping Uwe Boll from making films. Why should anybody try to stop Miller?
Are you honestly making a comparison between going to compare Uwe Boll to Frank Miller?

Are you honestly making a comparison between going to compare Uwe Boll to Frank Miller?

I'm saying nobody should stop Miller from doing what he wants just because we don't agree with him.

Nobody has tried stopping Uwe Boll from making films.

He tried to stop himself. Didn't work, apparently.

As for the thread title...What kind of "intervention" are we talking about here? :hehe:

OK, I admit I liked the trailers for The Spirit. At least the teaser or whatever. But the reviews have been so appaling that I can't help but find myself saying that "The Spirit WILL suck. HARD." It seems inevitable. Very rarely do I love a movie EVERYONE who has seen has hated. And yeah, it could become part of my "Trash I love" series of movies but, you know...The writing's on the wall... :o

I am open minded. Very. And I will see the movie if I have the chance. But I have a bad feeling about this... :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"