Frank Miller needs an "intervention"

I don't mind his stuff being dark, its just his style. My problem is that he has George Lucas syndrome in which he has actually bought his own hype. He actually goes out of his way to piss off his readers, and not to just tell a good story. He thinks his dialogue is really great, instead of being just completely ludicrous and cheesy.

I'm all for dark films. I love dark films. But Frank Miller is going off and making dark films for no reason at all on material that is light hearted going against what the original creators made.

And I do agree with you that Miller overall just plain sucks in comics and movies. His dialogue is horrible. His characterization is horrible. And his women are just downright deplorable, not every woman is a ****ing ****e.

I guess it's back on track. But I remember hearing that it got canned and that the story would continue without Batman in it.

Yeah, Miller did say say that earlier this year but I guess it is back on track after all.

I'm all for dark films. I love dark films. But Frank Miller is going off and making dark films for no reason at all on material that is light hearted going against what the original creators made.

And I do agree with you that Miller overall just plain sucks in comics and movies. His dialogue is horrible. His characterization is horrible. And his women are just downright deplorable, not every woman is a ****ing ****e.
You haven't been following the Spirit then, have you. Just because it's black and white doesn't mean it's like Sin City level dark, if you noticed he kept a lot of the affectionate touches of the character instead of turning him in to Marv v.2

I agree that he's gone off the deep end, but let's not sell his whole ****ing career short. That's just idiotic.

You haven't been following the Spirit then, have you. Just because it's black and white doesn't mean it's like Sin City level dark, if you noticed he kept a lot of the affectionate touches of the character instead of turning him in to Marv v.2

\

So you've seen the film?

And I hope he does, because from what I've seen, he's just taking Eisner's classic character and changing it completely to suit his own "vision".

He's allowed to do that y'know. :huh:

That's basically what ALL adaptations are.

True. But this is Frank Miller's vision. Which isn't very inventive anymore. He's a one trick pony. His creativity and range don't span very far at all.

Which is the reason the very thread we're posting in exists.

Yeah, but that's true for a lot of people. It doesn't discount any entertainment value from the film.

seeing how about 10 or so review have come out saying it is bad i'll take there word for it

Instead of y'know, seeing it for yourself?

Oh I forgot, you're master film maker Ingmar Bergman. Or was it Godard?

Not saying I plan on seeing the Spirit but, can't always trust reviews, "Seven Pounds" got a lot of bad reviews and I thought it was excellent.

The thing with the Spirit is I would rather have seen Eisner's Spirit rather than Sin City-redux. I think Spirit is still going to be fun but mostly forgettable. I think that style of filmmaking works for certain concepts and plotlines and I dont want it to go away. I'll hold judgement for Buck Rogers before I hear his direction and vision.

Last edited:
The thing with the Spirit is I would rather have seen Weisner's Spirit rather than Sin City-redux. I think Spirit is still going to be fun but mostly forgettable. I think that style of filmmaking works for certain concepts and plotlines and I dont want it to go away. I'll hold judgement for Buck Rogers before I hear his direction and vision.

True. The Spirit shoulda been like Dick Tracy...

Have you ever been to a message board? Sure, some people take it really far, but many of us are making predictions about his future work based on his past works, which is kind of the whole point of some of these forums.

I haven't seen people predicting his future in his film career at all. Just people b****ing about The Spirt when they haven't even seen it yet.

Oh man, so true.
And the bad reviews, which I've read from AICN, sound almost exactly the same.
They b***h about the same things that everyone knew we were NOT going to get.
Are we going to get a great film? Probably not. But I'll go and decide for myself.

The trailers look damn fun. If a bunch of wannabe script-writer dorks tell me that "IT ****S ALL OVER EISNER'S TRUE VISION!", hell, that's almost like saying "Go see it, you might have fun".
These people are IMPOSSIBLE to please and whenever I read one of their endless fanboy rants about why a certain movie raped their childhood, killed all the pandas and ruined the country at the same time, I just take it as "Hey, let's give this movie a chance, it might be fun".

I mean, even Will freaking Eisner basically told Miller "Go nuts, do your version", but I guess the Internet dorks know better :whatever:

Open your mind, people....open your mind.

Last edited:
^ Clear your mind is more like it.

The movie still looks like trash and very lame though.

Have you seen those trailers? I've read fan fiction with better dialogue.

Yeah, I've seen the trailers and the scenes.
Yeah, it looks trashy, definitely, but I think it could be fun.
I'm definitely not going to assume what the movie is until I see it, which is...logical.

Heh I don't bother with fan fiction, from personal experience, I'd say 90% of it is unreadable.
Most of it comes from the very same people that b***h about stuff like this on a never-ending basis...that's the way I see it.

I liked the stuff Miller did when I was a child (Ronin, Dark Knight Returns, Year One, his Daredevil stuff), then it just seemed his stuff in the 90s was just strange. Sin City has some good stuff, but I thought it just falls apart from "Family Values" on. I couldn't finish DK2 because it was just such utter ****.

I didn't know he was directing a movie, but the trailer hasn't convinced me that I have to see it.

If he needs an intervention, it should be with regard to his comic book output from DK2 on

I haven't seen people predicting his future in his film career at all. Just people b****ing about The Spirt when they haven't even seen it yet.

But the Spirit is a film that he made. Speculating on the movie is part of it. Based on what I've seen of previews, and his past works, I think its going to suck. I would also say that Paul Anderson's next movie is going to suck, and I don't even know what he's directing next.

But the Spirit is a film that he made. Speculating on the movie is part of it. Based on what I've seen of previews, and his past works, I think its going to suck. I would also say that Paul Anderson's next movie is going to suck, and I don't even know what he's directing next.

You're basing it off of what other people think? Everyone's different. Actually go see it. Then if you hate it, people will actually have the right to hate since they actually saw it.

I think people with the mindset that they think it's gonna be bad but it ends up being good, they'll still trash it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"