• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Why it might not suck

I think people should understand that taking a kid's show from the 80ies and making it into a movie 25 years later requires some adjustments. OP is crying because they dont wear camo. I think that camo would just make them simple soldiers, but those suits looks very cool. They are supposed to be the elite, so its ok. Lets hope that those acrobatics arent ridiculous...

I can't believe people think this movie will be bad simply because Marlon Wayans is in it. They act like he's Satan or something.

Perfect example is Gung-ho. In 80's cartoon land it is a perfect example of manly badassery to run into battle with nothing but a vest on....nowadays you would question someones sexuality if they wore what he wore.

That armor IS camoflauge. It changes color and patterns.

Nowadays black ops units wear black... to blend in with the night. Now, why this black ops unit is busting through busses in broad daylight... probably because they have supertech and it's their movie.

The Camo, has nothing to do with being faithful, as that wasn't the 'uniform' for the original team, and everything to do with "what I thought it would be like," with a hefty side of outdated character design.

I've yet to hear a real reason why it will suck, honestly. I've heard "disrespectful to the source material" but there's no evidence of that. Only that they aren't 100% filming hte cartoon... which no one expected, and honestly... we've all enjoyed plenty movies (Transformers, Batman Begins, X-Men) that were SO unfaithful to the source material.

Nowadays black ops units wear black... to blend in with the night. Now, why this black ops unit is busting through busses in broad daylight... probably because they have supertech and it's their movie.

The Camo, has nothing to do with being faithful, as that wasn't the 'uniform' for the original team, and everything to do with "what I thought it would be like," with a hefty side of outdated character design.

I've yet to hear a real reason why it will suck, honestly. I've heard "disrespectful to the source material" but there's no evidence of that. Only that they aren't 100% filming hte cartoon... which no one expected, and honestly... we've all enjoyed plenty movies (Transformers, Batman Begins, X-Men) that were SO unfaithful to the source material.
Some people just complain for the hell of it.

Like I said this is the same things I heard before Transformers came out and 90% of those back pedaled on their opinions. The only way to know if they are true or not is to watch the movie...hell they hired Larry Hama to look over the script.

Even if it does suck, Americans will be happy to see the Eiffel Tower collapse.

So 'get up, come on get down with the sickness.
Your mother get up, come get the UwE Bola sickness.'

Some of you guys are finding the dumbest things to worry about,...it's ridiculous.

-TNC

I'm seeing this movie but i hope they keep the acrobatics to a minimum and leave it to snake eyes and stormshadow to do that crazy ****. I for one don't like the suits as their staple outfit. The thing i liked about the Joe's was how their individual looks were determined by their individual skill sets. Now I know some of their outfits looked rediculous but come on the design department could have done better.

I still really disliked Transformers. I'm not saying this stuff just to be negative. I really care about this material.

The Larry Hama thing means little to me because it comes off like a move so they can look more legit to the fans because oh it's Larry Hama, the creator of GI JOE.

Akira Toriyama was apparently on set for Dragon Ball.

Larry Hama looking over the script . . . OK, so what? It's not like Hama's writing the script.

I've gotten used to the silly armor in the movie but I can't really judge them until the movies been released, and for those complaining about the lack of camouflage take into account that this movie is based on a popular toyline so of course the studios want as much vibrancy as possible to sell toys.

If a Joe movie were done in the 80's it would've been called The Delta Force.

It probably would've been called GI JOE which would mean GI JOE and not GLOBAL INTEGRATED JOINT OPERATING ENTITY.

i really think out of all of the movies out there, GI Joe gets a lot of crap. Yeah, I'm skeptical too, but I'm not going to declare it a failure already. I'm talking a tidal wave of negative opinion was on this board; some of them legit but alot just mindless ranting and moaning. Hey, I'm not a sheep either but there's time when fanboyism does too far.

I don't mind the reason given for the name, because let's face it, why would anyone call an organization "GI Joe", which basically just means "A slang term for a US armed forces member". It's not exactly a complimentary term. "GI Joe" is similar to "grunt". While there's an element of that to the mythology, that useage is a bit too limiting to what GI JOE is and always has been. I've always though there was irony in the use of the term, because they're all so unique.

Maybe Dennis Quaid's character likes the irony?

I've gotten used to the silly armor in the movie but I can't really judge them until the movies been released, and for those complaining about the lack of camouflage take into account that this movie is based on a popular toyline so of course the studios want as much vibrancy as possible to sell toys.

If a Joe movie were done in the 80's it would've been called The Delta Force.

The armor is more like what S.W.A.T. wears in Masamune Shirow's "Appleseed". But their armor is either green, grey, or purple.

I'm ok with it so far, It's a origin film, Cobra is just forming. Destro's in charge and he will have a mask from what I read. It's a sigma 6 thing there doing.

ive been a fan since i was a kid. Im actually looking foreward to this movie. It looks like so much fun. I am just hoping in this movie or in others that they bring out other favorite characters like BEACH HEAD, DUSTY, and of course the COBRA TWINS - i just remember one being named Tomax? Serpentor would be pretty boss too! No matter what the expectations - this should be pretty sweet.

Like I said this is the same things I heard before Transformers came out and 90% of those back pedaled on their opinions. The only way to know if they are true or not is to watch the movie...hell they hired Larry Hama to look over the script.
Well Transformers fans have been dealing with an ever changing series with almost no common thread outside of "Transforming robots" (and even that's been abandoned in certain concepts...Action Masters for example). Also, arguably, Transformers started out a very crappy show and was fine tuned because it changed and was so fluid. G.I.Joe is ever changing, yet for the version they are going with the changes are linked by some commonalities in costume, storyline and role(s). Though, you're right, movies can be good without any source material adherence. Though for me, this movie is a complete fail. The TV spot alone proves this movie is nothing but a generic action film with superbly corny villains, and unlike Transformers it doesn't offer anything new to add to the holy sh** factor. Moreover, while I realize G.I.Joe is a somewhat silly concept, the movie attempts to hide it behind very half-baked attempts at realism. Black leather, PC international friendly team of heroes, indistinguishable from any other team of heroes we've seen before. I think the problems with the movie almost start and end with the removal of "America" from the film. It's suppose to be blatantly patriotic, America f*** yeah propaganda and this too chickensh** to actually go full force with the concept.

Heh. Knocking down the Eiffel tower and working from the Pentagon aren't enough America-centrism for ya? How much more America can they slam into a 30-sec TV Spot... dont ya think they should take some time to, y'know, foreshadow the plot?

A TV Spot cannot prove the entire contents of a movie, SB... you're, to put it lightly, overreacting. It's cool, I do it sometimes too, but bottom line: you're drawing conclusions you don't have the lines of logic to support.

Heh. Knocking down the Eiffel tower
Which is in France, and in America we wouldn't give a sh**...bout damn time:cwink:
and working from the Pentagon aren't enough America-centrism for ya? How much more America can they slam into a 30-sec TV Spot... dont ya think they should take some time to, y'know, foreshadow the plot?
It's not the TV spot I'm complaining about here, it's the whole shabang. I hope you realize some of us have, ya'know, read the script spoilers, kept up with the developments, looked at the cast. Ya'know, cause this is a message board. And yes, the TV spot was generic.
A TV Spot cannot prove the entire contents of a movie, SB... you're, to put it lightly, overreacting. It's cool, I do it sometimes too, but bottom line: you're drawing conclusions you don't have the lines of logic to support.
The script clearly has indicated these are not a US centric team, but rather a United Nations backed team of international operatives working out of Brussels. The director has even said the movie is a tribute to Thunderball, and is inspired from James Bond. Yeah, really American. Hell, Channing Tatum even signed on because they made the film about special operations working for the world rather than a US based military team (which is originally why he turned it down). So, long story short, they neutered the concept. This movie could've stood out, now it doesn't, and judging by the TV spot it offers nothing the typical popcorn fair this summer doesn't already offer. You're telling me after Watchmen, Wolverine: Origins, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek and Terminator Salvation anyone will want to see this? Too bad Dragonball already got the razzie market cornered. This is nothing but a forgetable action film that didn't have to be forgetable.

Did someone just ask if there will be anyone who will want to see a blockbuster GI JOE movie?

Did someone just ask if there will be anyone who will want to see a blockbuster GI JOE movie?
Sure they would, if it didn't look like a generic poor man's Bourne Ultimatum.

"Hey let's go see the movie about the black leather swat team fighting the terrorist dude in a suit"
"Which one?":huh:

Did someone just indicate that, regardless of quality, people would not want to see a GI JOE movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"