• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man Garfield's build

118895-89177-with-great-power-com_large.jpg

and a 'LEAN' silent figure...

spidey was never meant to be massive. I think spidey I think 'swimmer' rather than 'boxer'.

Damn, Stan could write words of pure epicness!

After looking at that pic over and over again, I think it is growing on me. I am torn because I thought Tobey looked too bloated (at least in SM2 and SM3) but Garfield is a tad too lean for this. I will reserve judgement until we see more photos. It is obvious they are leaning towards the Ultimate version.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=_q4wTebgBMOBlAeLtr39CQ&ved=0CB0Q9QEwAA

Still not totally sold on the new costume. I like the design but it still holds too many similar traits to the original trilogy though (but that discussion is for another thread).

It is obvious they are leaning towards the Ultimate version.

There have been plenty of iterations of Spidey where he's been skinny, not just Ultimate. The Spectacular cartoon for example.

Wait, you're not completely sold on the costume because it's too similar to the costume in Raimi's films??

I thought Tobey had a perfect build myself.

normalspidermanstills00.jpg

Garfield looks like Ultimate Spider-Man without the defined muscles. I'd rather have Garfield than some guy who looks like he could beat Lou Ferrigno though.

I kind of wish this wasn't a reboot, and just a live action TV show.
Tobey Maguire had a short and stocky body like Tom Cruise.

That ain't Spider-man.

the way I look at it is this: Spider-Man 1-3 was Romita SR:

3bda331a.jpg

And this new Spider-Man is Romita JR:

battle69.gif

For me the definitive Spidey artist is ditko and the more recently bagley and both of them drew Spidey rake thin unlike the romitas who draw Spidey like a body builder

Last edited:
^ That's not a bad way to look at it! Although the latter's style has varied, iirc.

For me the definitive Spidey artist is ditko and the more recently badly and both of them drew Spidey rake thin unlike the romitas who draw Spidey like a body builder

Ditko and Romita SR both drew a more well-rounded Spider-Man (Ditko did begin him as a skinny character, but that evolved over Ditko's run). He had mass sure, but I wouldn't call him a body builder. At the start, Romita JR drew him the same way, (as most continue to draw him as a muscle bound guy), but JR has been drawing him thin and lanky for quite a long time.

Seeing as how they're still focusing on his formative years, I have no problem with his build. I just have a problem with that time period being the focus again.

Eventually, Spider-man should be allowed to be a man. I don't think all his trials and tribulations only resonate as a high school or college kid. The Spider-man I grew up on and loved (The Mcfarlane run in the late 80's) was a man, but I still related to his troubles. He was still broke, still struggling with his relationships, it was all there. And while he was slight, he was still very athletic, almost Bruce Lee-like, which he should be. I just hope one day they allow Spider-man to continue into adulthood on the screen (and let's face it, Garfield is almost 30 anyway)

i think thats what bogged down the raimi movies, as old as peter was starting to look it was getting stale seeing him never get away from the bugle or get a real job as a professor.

as far as peters build in the new film, i am liking the leaner look more than the bulk that tobey had. if he has good muscle mass then thats what matters. the suit is lean and not poofy (like before)

Wait, you're not completely sold on the costume because it's too similar to the costume in Raimi's films??

As different as it is, it is in fact somewhat similar. The pattern on the blue parts are similar for sure. The red parts, albeit very different are also at the same time kind of the same. Better put, almost reversed. Black webbing and instead of raised webbing, it is recessed. I am sure that comment does not make a lot of sense. I guess I was looking for a 100% 180 degree change. I was hoping they were going to go more Alex Ross in that the suit was going to be more of a spandex design, silk screened webbing, etc. Retro, yes. But it could be done well if designed right.

Tobey Maguire had a short and stocky body like Tom Cruise.

That ain't Spider-man.

I wouldn't call him stocky. Or Tom Cruise for that matter.

Tobey's Spider-man reminded me more of the way MacFarlane drew Spidey. Or Romita Sr.

This is definitely more Romita Jr./Ultimate.

Spidey should be ripped and muscular, but in a lean, wirey way..........

he has to be agile, mobile, and flexible.........so very little body fat........

I've had a look at the costume picture.
Honestly, Garfield can be bigger (and should be), it seems like they did skimp out training wise. Whether they didn't have enough time or needed better regime he still is lacking. He has a bit of size round the arms, but shoulders/traps can do with a lot of work.

at the end of the day there is no strict line of correlation between size and strength. Power lifters have a completley differen't shape to people who train for asthetic reasons, I'm not sure anyone would be very happy if Spider-man ended up lookimg like somebody that could actually lift a car as it's not a very appealing look at all.

Size does not necessarily = strength.

Well its very possible that they don't plan for the guy to lose his shirt a lot. Definition is pointless unless you intend to actually show it. But I think its obvious that they wanted him around this size or else they would have delayed/worked him harder/got someone else.

Tobey size was fine. He had a swimmers body. Also he never achieved his spiderman 1 size after the first film. The second film he came back smaller. They knew that they didn't need to show off his frame again. Hell Bale did the same thing in TDK. The third film.......well he never took his shirt off ever.

I don't think its too bad right now that Garfield isn't bigger. On the one hand, I wanted him to be bigger. On the other hand, this will contrast with his enemies. David vs Goliath/Godzilla.

I see Garfield getting slightly bigger with every movie. Look at Jackman. As wolvy he got increasingly bigger with every movie release.

I think Garfield's body will be fine as Peter. I agree with those who see Peter/Spider-Man as lean, not massive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"